reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib hey man would it be possible to add the ability to control more than one item from within things

For example. I have two heaters i would like to be able to when i create a temp sensor to be able to select both heaters under control heaters.
Would also be nice in the timers to be able to add more than one piece of equipment to a timer.
Currently i have to create a separate timer for each blue channel. Seems more intuitive to have one timer be able to control several things.

Was just thinking about these things this time around. Figured i would ask! Thanks

pais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, im new to this forum. I was trying to run an arduino uno working like the EZO pH circuit because i have a analogic probe for the ph meter. Im extabilishing a I2C connection between the raspberry and the arduino, can receive the R from the raspberry requesting reading, then i tried responding in many ways to the rpi but on the web interface ph value is always 0. So im requesting here what type of data the rpi expects after requesting R to the slave. I have a sketch of arduino that i can upload if you want.
Thank you for the excellent work !

Last edited:

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Im getting the below error when going to the configuration > Connectors page also when going to the Log page
Can anyone advise on how to fix it?
upload_2019-6-27_19-53-16.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Im getting the below error when going to the configuration > Connectors page also when going to the Log page
Can anyone advise on how to fix it?
upload_2019-6-27_19-53-16.png
Did you do a major version (1->2 or 2->3) upgrade without deleting database? Can you provide some details around which version you are using, setup etc...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody, im new to this forum. I was trying to run an arduino uno working like the EZO pH circuit because i have a analogic probe for the ph meter. Im extabilishing a I2C connection between the raspberry and the arduino, can receive the R from the raspberry requesting reading, then i tried responding in many ways to the rpi but on the web interface ph value is always 0. So im requesting here what type of data the rpi expects after requesting R to the slave. I have a sketch of arduino that i can upload if you want.
Thank you for the excellent work !
Help me understand this correctly, you are using arduino instead of ezo circuit to read the probe and you are pretty much mimicking the ezo i2c protocol ? If so, then yeah it should work (though remember without galvanic isolation your reading are likely to be inaccurate). Check the reef-pi log for any error. I suspect you are missing some elements in the ezo i2c protocol that reef-pi is using. If you can share a command line example of how you are getting the data in pi, we can audit it for compatibility.
Just for reference, this is the exact code we use to read the ezo data: https://github.com/reef-pi/drivers/blob/master/ezo.go#L167 , which basically sends "R\000" and then reads 31 bytes. Make sure your code is doing just that. Another way to verify this will be to install ezo python example code and check if thats working with your setup

pais

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me understand this correctly, you are using arduino instead of ezo circuit to read the probe and you are pretty much mimicking the ezo i2c protocol ? If so, then yeah it should work (though remember without galvanic isolation your reading are likely to be inaccurate). Check the reef-pi log for any error. I suspect you are missing some elements in the ezo i2c protocol that reef-pi is using. If you can share a command line example of how you are getting the data in pi, we can audit it for compatibility.
Just for reference, this is the exact code we use to read the ezo data: https://github.com/reef-pi/drivers/blob/master/ezo.go#L167 , which basically sends "R\000" and then reads 31 bytes. Make sure your code is doing just that. Another way to verify this will be to install ezo python example code and check if thats working with your setup
Thank you very much, knowing the lenght of the message (you said 31) i managed to send a "fake" constant value of pH 9.310 in ASCII code. Now i have only to implement the analogic pH reading and combining them.

.-=Jord=-.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Its similar to the recommended kessil circuit, except it uses lm7810 instead of lm2596 to generate 10V DC current. I wonder if you need two of them,
Thank you for sharing, this will be helpful to others

If I build the circuit above do I also need to make the dimming circuit on the Reef Pi Guide 5: lighting controller, or would the one above connect straight to the reef pi controller?

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the heater/cooler to display on the dashboard? I can see that graph under my temp tab, but looked all over, and didn't see an option to add it to the dashboard page.. it would be super nice to know how long it's running, especially since I've been having cooling issues in the hot Texas summer

HI friends, I'm bala from INDIA

First of all I thank everyone how contributed their work on REEF-pi. I never think I will have automation in my aquarium. I get to know reef-pi by watching one youtube channel named Rickets Reef.

Basically I don’t know anything about electronic and programing. By seeing the support you peoples are giving. I simply ordered every items to make Reef-pi. I love to make DIY, but I never tried any DIY in electrical.

I’m having 70G main tank and 40G sump. For that I started MY reef-pi built, by Step by step Guide from reef-pi.github and reef2reef website. I successfully connected 2 temperature probe, 1 float switch, and 1 small LES to test.

Screenshot (121).png

In that I come across with some problem

1) I added one led in GPIO pin 21 and added it in equipment. if I triggered the float switch LED is turning on , but when I manually turn on the led (in Equipment) it is turning on and automatically going off after few seconds, and I try set that equipment as heater, same problem over there , turning off in few seconds ....

2) I got pca9685 to control my DIY light, in that I don’t know what is the name of the pins in pca9685 to enter in jacks option. In reef-pi.github website they entered as pin 0, 1 and 2,3 and 4,5 and 12 .how they are defining 0,1 as pin number
how to find pin number for 16 pin in pca9685

Screenshot (123).png

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the heater/cooler to display on the dashboard? I can see that graph under my temp tab, but looked all over, and didn't see an option to add it to the dashboard page.. it would be super nice to know how long it's running, especially since I've been having cooling issues in the hot Texas summer
On the dashboard drop down its called tc(temp controller). Pick that instead of temperature

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do a major version (1->2 or 2->3) upgrade without deleting database? Can you provide some details around which version you are using, setup etc...
I did not do any upgrades
Did i clean install of version 3

I think i might have accidentally tried to delete the raspberry driver as it was working before i started playing with my ph setup

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do any upgrades
Did i clean install of version 3

I think i might have accidentally tried to delete the raspberry driver as it was working before i started playing with my ph setup
Sounds like the best course to resolve this would be to do a sd card wipe then fresh new install 100%.

ummwhy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef
In your initial question you said a 4.7ohm resistor, I hope you meant 4.7k ohm...

The commands to check it out would be:
Code:
cd /sys/bus/w1/devices

ls   #this will show you the devices recognized by the system

cd 28-XXXXXXXXXXXX   #change the Xs to the number that showed in the previous step

cat w1_slave   #this should give you a raw reading from the sensor

Worked like a charm thanks!

Broken Temp Sensor
Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 8.42.53 PM.png

Spliced in new Temp Sensor
Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 8.44.20 PM.png

image.png

ummwhy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In timers does anyone know of a way to get equipment to turn on for example every Wednesday?

BenB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When enable pca9685 and a physically connected pca9685 it works great!
I found that you can connect multiple temp sensors to only one gpio04 pin. Before, I had a relayboard connected to gpio04 and it did not work, i thought the gpiopin was dead, probably I had temp selected in settings,.
Is only gpio04 for temp sensors? Or can i use other pins to? I tried gpio17 but no temp sensors showed up.

20190629_093757.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back