reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Michael Lane

Well that did it working like a charm now!

5BD837FF-9578-411B-910C-8DF81B0B883A.jpeg
Woot :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to experiment when i calibrate. My 4,7, and 10 calibration packets arrive today. Since reef pi is 2 point calibration, I should use 4 and 7 to calibrate, but im curious if i calibrate at 4 and 10 how close the 7.0 reading will be in the 7.0 solution..if its dang close, I may just use a 4 and 10 calibration.
Let us know about your finding , im curious too :)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ph meters that may be measuring the whole range from 0 to 14, and have temperature compensation, ph meters usually use a 3 point calibration. The cal at 7 and 10 gives the alkaline slope, the 4 and 7 gives the acidic range slope. The calibration at 7 also gives the offset from 0, which is used to offset the whole range and figured in when compensating for temperature.
Since most of out tanks are within a few degrees of 25C or 77F where the standard is measured for ph, the temp conpensation is so small that it doesnt matter for our purposes. So a 2 point calibration is accurate enough. It would make a difference if you were running a special coldwater tank for trout at 50F, or using your ph probe for measuring during brewing beer at high temps.
Whoa :) . Thank you for sharing this. Very informative

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you ever seen that documentary about corals below the ice sheet in antartica? I've always thought it would be cool to keep a tank that like. Be almost impossible to get stuff to put in it but it would still be neat if you could.

The trout tank comment jogged that thought. A trout tank would be amazing to!
There are people who keep temperate reef tanks, running at 60-65F . Not super cold, but still. I didnt knew there are corals beneath antarctica. I have seen some NPS in recent R/V Falkor live stream... but they are still in temperature environment, (i think)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a coldwater minnow/brook trout tank 15 years ago...back then they didnt have the chillers and powerheads they do now...it did well all winter in the basement, until summer hit...trout need cold water and lots of oxygen, and pristine water.
How big tank is required for them?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my red dragon is taking off again.
3EFE5645-47EA-4717-9858-359177756DEF.jpeg

I have made some interesting adjustment recently , to stabilize my alk levels. Instead of two part dosing which was kinda increasing my ph and started mixing sodium bicarbonate in ato directly . The result was pretty good , my alk is now maintained at 8 with less ph impact.

For reference this was the same piece less than three months ago
09D6AC86-640E-479C-BFFD-62EFDD82417A.jpeg

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have made some interesting adjustment recently , to stabilize my alk levels. Instead of two part dosing which was kinda increasing my ph and started mixing sodium bicarbonate in ato directly . The result was pretty good , my alk is now maintained at 8 with less ph impact.

What are you keeping your pH at now?

What are your phosphates and nitrates and magnesium and calcium levels too if you don't mind. I really need to get my acros growing like this! Do you feed your corals or dose any trace elements?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brook trout get up to 20 inches or so and 5 lbs. But the mountain
How big tank is required for them?
Coldwater fish need more space, kinda like goldfish...i kept 2 5 inch trout and a school of 12 coldwater minnows(rednosed dace) in a 55 gallon and that was max capacity

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I dont have quite enough load to add sodium bicarb to my ato but i do dose it in between water changes. It is nice to be able to raise alk without a super sharp ph move as well.

I have 1 gal Hawaiian Punch jugs with sodium bicarb, nitrate solution, phosphate solution, and magnesium.

Its nice to have them on hand when needed. Reef-pi doser is going to be in the works eventually that way i can hit a button to dose!

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What are your phosphates and nitrates and magnesium and calcium levels too if you don't mind. I really need to get my acros growing like this! Do you feed your corals or dose any trace elements?
ph swings between 8-8.4, Calcium is at 420, i dont check magnesium frequently. I had checked it couple of months back and it was around 1350 or so. I do once every two week 15% water change. I feed either reef roid or benepetit (a poweder food that has probiotics as well).

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And i dont dose any trace elements. Once a week i add 5-10 ml of reef fuel (you can use acropower as well).

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i dont dose any trace elements. Once a week i add 5-10 ml of reef fuel (you can use acropower as well).
Any idea on your phosphate or nitrate levels? Thanks for the other parameters.

I assume you mean aquavitro reef fuel which is made by seachem and is a blend of trace elements and aminos. Interestingly I have been using Seachem reef plus and seachem reef trace and combined these have the same ingredients and close to same totals as aquavitro reef fuel which is made by seachem. The aquavitro reef fuel is much more expensive though almost double for the same volume!

Also just ordered some Benereef as I was low on reef roids. I like how it includes vitamins and stuff in the food seems interesting.

Last edited:

Hookster15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
{"error":"Failed to create. Error: GPIO Pin 29 is not valid"} | HTTP 500

HELP what happened. GPIO pin 29 and up can not be added. it was working

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to use my reef pi to monitor the level of water in my RO container. That is rather than empty or not empty how much water it has in it. Is this possible?

Was thinking a weight sensor? Anyway if integrating that to a reef pi?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to use my reef pi to monitor the level of water in my RO container. That is rather than empty or not empty how much water it has in it. Is this possible?

Was thinking a weight sensor? Anyway if integrating that to a reef pi?
I just use a float switch and when it's low it stops floating and notifies me by email to fill it.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no gpio29.

You are confused on pin number vs gpio number. Pin number 29 is gpio 5.

gpiozero-pinout.png

Holy **** balls!! I didnt know you could bring up a pinout in the terminal!!!!!!! what the heck and i have been trying to use google all this time.... ugh thanks for the edumacation

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy **** balls!! I didnt know you could bring up a pinout in the terminal!!!!!!! what the heck and i have been trying to use google all this time.... ugh thanks for the edumacation
You may have to install gpio zero if you went with raspian lite

sudo apt install python3-gpiozero

Then the command pinout will give you the pinout.

Excuse any bad typing...theres beer involved at this point!

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back