reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Zippyfear

View Badges
Reaction score
What temp probes are you guys using in your builds?

Would these work?
I use 4 of these

connected in parallel across a 4.7k ohm resistor. They are covered (the metal part) with heat shrink tubing and a tip of silicon on the ends.. they work great, and tracking air temp, refugium, sump and main tank. alerts below 79 and over 80.5 (it's Texas, it's hot here) - and a fan turns on above 79.8 with 2 heaters that kick on around 79.2.. so far my temps really mostly hover 79.4 - 79.8 - I assume in winter I'll let it dip a little lower, but right now, the heater doesn't run much.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Been out of the loop for awhile. We bought our first house wo hoo! But a couple of months prior to settling and moving I had a strange crash. For no apparent reason all of my SPS just started to RTN. All parameters where within acceptable ranges but everything but soft coral and fish was dying. Knowing I was going to have to break down and move soon anyway I decided that chasing the problem was not worth it so decided to start over anyway when I get moved in. As I was breaking things down I found this!

All my other probes are encased in silicone but I decided to just drop this one in. It was the DROK probes that I installed April 1st https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY8U394/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I am not sure if this was what cuased the crash but it was not only rusted but oozing something out the top. I will be coating all sensors in silicone from here on out.

But here is the man cave as it sits now with the life I was able to salvage in a 15 gallon holding tank. reef-pi is only controling the light on this one. My 150 lbs of rock is currently curing in a garbage can of bleach and will be coming out next week. This time around I will be breaking the rock up and doing a bare bottom epoxied together rockscape. I have some catching up to do to get my reef-pi updated and lots of planning still to go.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Been out of the loop for awhile. We bought our first house wo hoo! But a couple of months prior to settling and moving I had a strange crash. For no apparent reason all of my SPS just started to RTN. All parameters where within acceptable ranges but everything but soft coral and fish was dying. Knowing I was going to have to break down and move soon anyway I decided that chasing the problem was not worth it so decided to start over anyway when I get moved in. As I was breaking things down I found this!

All my other probes are encased in silicone but I decided to just drop this one in. It was the DROK probes that I installed April 1st https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY8U394/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I am not sure if this was what cuased the crash but it was not only rusted but oozing something out the top. I will be coating all sensors in silicone from here on out.

But here is the man cave as it sits now with the life I was able to salvage in a 15 gallon holding tank. reef-pi is only controling the light on this one. My 150 lbs of rock is currently curing in a garbage can of bleach and will be coming out next week. This time around I will be breaking the rock up and doing a bare bottom epoxied together rockscape. I have some catching up to do to get my reef-pi updated and lots of planning still to go.

Sorry to hear about the stuff issues. New man cave looks fantastic .
Just rusting rarely cause problem, but if it also involved some other metal leaching , that can be problematic for sure .

Top Shelf Aquatics

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
What is the process of encasing the probes in silicone? Does it effect the accuracy of the probe?
I just used my finger to put reef safe silicone all around the sensor and up the wire a bit. I have heard of others putting the sensor in a straw and sealing the ends with silicone as well. I noticed no difference in performance doing this.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib is there a way to add a delay to a piece of equipment when reefpi starts up? For instance after a power outage i need my slimmer not to come in immediately instead i need it to delay for about a minute to allow the return pump to return the sump back to normal water level.

The way it is now cause my skimmer to overflow. Thanks!

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib is there a way to add a delay to a piece of equipment when reefpi starts up? For instance after a power outage i need my slimmer not to come in immediately instead i need it to delay for about a minute to allow the return pump to return the sump back to normal water level.

A time delay relay would do this.

https://www.omegasea.net/
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Not that I can think of. This sounds like a good feature to have. I have some random delays (sub second ) before restoring relay states upon startup , but it’s not configurable. It’s there to avoid surge usage

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
just finished assembling an all in one controller for the upcoming 3.0 release. Check this out:
It’s almost 6.5”x3.5”, sleeker than all older builds.
5168D9BD-516C-4BC1-993A-FB36FC14799B.jpeg

It supports one water level sensor, one kessil control output and one temperature sensor. All exposed via audio connectors
F428C2B0-17CD-4C02-AE15-3F72382B2F11.jpeg

It’s a two part enclosure . Power control will be done using Kasa smart powerstrip
4296DCC5-604E-4D07-8155-08F805B30739.jpeg

I used the same build to test out pi pwm issues with reef-pi 2.4. Now the unit is going through testing against the garage tank. If I feel comfortable, I’ll swap the pico tanks controller with this one . I am thinking of creating a reef2reef specific build you own reef-pi with this unit . What you’ll think ? Good idea ? B2E9BDF5-B0E9-4D72-AA40-37426A7507A9.jpeg

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib looking good! Question about the TPLink/Kasa powerstrip; I know it tacks energy use via its own app...and I apologize if it's already been covered earlier (couldn't find via search), but can the reef-pi track power use on each socket?

Also, how is it connected to the Pi? Is there a write-up?

Last edited:
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib looking good! Question about the TPLink/Kasa powerstrip; I know it tacks energy use via its own app...and I apologize if it's already been covered earlier (couldn't find via search), but can the reef-pi track power use on each socket?

Also, how is it connected to the Pi? Is there a write-up?
Reef-pi does not have a notion of power monitoring for sockets yet, but then TP-Link driver exposes 6 outlets and 6 analog inputs, which can be used to monitor the power usage as ph probes :) , for the time being. Till I sort out what’s the best way to expose this.
Currently there’s no documentation yet, that will come in next couple of months once ui work is finished. I am using curl and api to create a TP-Link driver and then rest from the ui. Let me know if you want to test it out, happy to share the steps.

Bigtrout

View Badges
Reaction score
Reef-pi does not have a notion of power monitoring for sockets yet, but then TP-Link driver exposes 6 outlets and 6 analog inputs, which can be used to monitor the power usage as ph probes :) , for the time being. Till I sort out what’s the best way to expose this.
Currently there’s no documentation yet, that will come in next couple of months once ui work is finished. I am using curl and api to create a TP-Link driver and then rest from the ui. Let me know if you want to test it out, happy to share the steps.
@Ranjib
The tp link is a great add on. I know wireless control of outlets isnt the first choice(im a fan of direct wired myself) but it does prevent novices from having to deal with safety of messing with mains voltages. And an added bonus is the tp link unit is UL listed!

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib
The tp link is a great add on. I know wireless control of outlets isnt the first choice(im a fan of direct wired myself) but it does prevent novices from having to deal with safety of messing with mains voltages. And an added bonus is the tp link unit is UL listed!
Yeah, this is my observations as well. It’s a different set of compromises compared to the adj wired power strip or relay based scratch build. Couple of other nice things about the TP-Link power strip is we can manually override the outlets by physical button on the plugs , led indicators , current monitoring, ability to offload the timers on the powerstrip itself etc(not that we are exploiting that feature currently )

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah, this is my observations as well. It’s a different set of compromises compared to the adj wired power strip or relay based scratch build. Couple of other nice things about the TP-Link power strip is we can manually override the outlets by physical button on the plugs , led indicators , current monitoring, ability to offload the timers on the powerstrip itself etc(not that we are exploiting that feature currently )
There’s an amazon review post showing one of the hs110 unit burned out :-( . Funny that they are ul listed among all the options

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
How do I associate reef-pi with the wifi interface on the command line? I used to run reefpi on a wired connection but dont have that option anymore. I used putty to get into the raspberry via the wired interface and IP and setup wifi in raspi-config. My router picks up the new IP and connection but when I try to SSH or connect to that IP it times out.

Zippyfear

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a wired relay strip for critical functions (Heating, cooling, pump, primary lights) , but the TP links are great for non-critical functions like alert skimmer, sump lights or dosing.. if it doesn't work.. not a major issue.. just saying.. My wired stuff.. love it, but I have a lot of wires around the tank.. it's getting pretty messy.

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib I just got one of @Michael Lane 's HATs (v2) and hooked it up to my Pi 3, however, when I went into config tab (3.0.0-pre-alpha-2 ) there doesn't seem to be a way to enable the PCA9685? When I tried to add a PCA9685 driver (PCA9685 from dropdown, channel 68, freq1500) I received an error, which I'm assuming is due to PCA9685 not being enabled.

Is this something that needs to be done manually?

config.JPG driver.JPG 20190731_085831 (1).jpg

Why do you choose to shop with the companies you shop with it?

• Relationships with Employees or Owners

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Fair Pricing of Goods

Votes: 35 71.4%
  • Quality of Goods (FIRE corals or good product)

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • Quality of Customer Service

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Ease of ordering or access to store

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Other (please exlain in the thread)

Votes: 2 4.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Use pumps from different brands TOGETHER!