reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you Ranjib,so what is that mean?do i have the right setup for calibration?Where to save the calibration.json. Ask because when i try to calibrate i got error msg.:
TimeEmitterTypeContent
04/08/2019, 06:57:06UIERROR{"error":"json: cannot unmarshal object into Go value of type []hal.Measurement"} | HTTP 400

Screenshot from 2019-08-04 06-54-53.png
I believe the unmarshal error is due to a typo in the original json example. [/LIST] should not be in the json.
Instead of
Code:
[/LIST]
[
 {"expected":8.21, "observed": -8768},
 {"expected":8.12, "observed": -8189}
]
Use this as a sample instead
Code:
[
 {"expected":8.21, "observed": -8768},
 {"expected":8.12, "observed": -8189}
]

PaulJ2303

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello guy's

It's time i started to delve into the arcane world of dosing pumps.
I've seen some good individual 12v peristaltic pumps on ebay that i'd like to use.
does Reef-pi allow for the control of dosing pump's ? and if so is there a build guide anywhere

thanks for any help you guys can be.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score

bala murugan 00500

View Badges
Reaction score
Finally, i spend some time on the pi pwm frequency issue with 2.4 release. There was a nasty bug that i had overlooked, I feel really sorry about the users as 2.4 is was supposed to fix pwm issues on pi. I'll publish a bug fix 2.5 version as soon as possible. probably tonight
any update on 2.5 version

PaulJ2303

View Badges
Reaction score
It can definitely be all on the same pi. Just apply the doser steps to the pi that's already set up.
Thanks Michael, although i'm enjoying this build I'm coming at it from a complete beginner to electronics so please bear with me.
I've only got as far as setting up the temperature sensor on a pi 3b+ using the perma proto hat.
Looking at the fritzing diagrams for the power controller and the dosing pumps side by side there doesn't seems to be enough room to fit both ? or am i looking at it wrong (likely)

apologies for the really newb questions.

also can i use 3 dosing pumps instead of the stated 2?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks Michael, although i'm enjoying this build I'm coming at it from a complete beginner to electronics so please bear with me.
I've only got as far as setting up the temperature sensor on a pi 3b+ using the perma proto hat.
Looking at the fritzing diagrams for the power controller and the dosing pumps side by side there doesn't seems to be enough room to fit both ? or am i looking at it wrong (likely)

apologies for the really newb questions.

also can i use 3 dosing pumps instead of the stated 2?
reef-pi can definitely handle temperature and 3 dosing pumps. I'm using 3 dosing pumps and 5 channels of LEDs along with temperature, pH, and 16 outlets all on one reef-pi. I'm going to add 4 more dosing pumps soon.

It might help if you start a separate thread for your reef-pi build. That way things won't get lost in the sea of this thread. If you start a thread, feel free to tag me and I can help with specific advice.

PaulJ2303

View Badges
Reaction score

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all I'm in the plan to build a DC only pico tank pi control. My think will be using the below equipment. The goal is to keep the control board as clean and plug and play as possible. I have selected some parts and need some help to see if it will work?

Tank equipment:

On/off and PWM control equipments
Light: Kessil A80 24v, 16w, 0 - 10v pwm
Return pump: Jabeo DC 650 Nano 24v, 8W, 0-5 PWM (I think) control

On/Off only
Filter pump: Mini DC pump 12v, 6w
Heater: DC Heating pad 24v, 15w
Peltier chiller: 12v, 100w, I have an stand alone tec PID controller.
Peltier Fan 2x: 12v, 0.15w total
Couple of mini Led indicator: 5v to 12v

Sensor:
3x Temperature probe (1 tank, 1 hot side of peltier, 1 ambient)
1 mini float switch SMD Fluid Controls FS25 (I'm manually do ato so I just need the float switch to turn on an led once it reach the level)

Power supply:
12v 195w meanwell waterproof power supply

PI equipments:
PI 4 Or Pi zero W
2x LM2596 (5v and 10v convertion)
1x Single power relay for the peltier
1x Pimoroni automation hat (for all 24v and 5 to 12v equipments)
1x Adafruit 16-Channel PWM / Servo HAT (no sure if both of these hat will stack will together yet or not)

Since everything is low voltage I'm not planning using AC outlet. All equipment will be directly connected to the controller board.

Other optional features:
2x Kamoer x1 doser running awc. I not looking to control it but if I can build something in to read the current draw when it's on will be nice. I know the dosing time per cycle. My thinking is put an time limiter on it for backup just in case the doser malfunction.

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Almost forgot there will be an 12v to 24v boost converter I just have found one that is small yet. I only need 2-3A all the only I found so far is 6+A just too big (physically).

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
The goal is to have only one single multi cores (12 cores) power cord and, 2x cat 6 wire (1 for 3x temp proble and 1 for 3x pwm) coming off the tank to the controller.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all I'm in the plan to build a DC only pico tank pi control. My think will be using the below equipment. The goal is to keep the control board as clean and plug and play as possible. I have selected some parts and need some help to see if it will work?

Tank equipment:

On/off and PWM control equipments
Light: Kessil A80 24v, 16w, 0 - 10v pwm
Return pump: Jabeo DC 650 Nano 24v, 8W, 0-5 PWM (I think) control

On/Off only
Filter pump: Mini DC pump 12v, 6w
Heater: DC Heating pad 24v, 15w
Peltier chiller: 12v, 100w, I have an stand alone tec PID controller.
Peltier Fan 2x: 12v, 0.15w total
Couple of mini Led indicator: 5v to 12v

Sensor:
3x Temperature probe (1 tank, 1 hot side of peltier, 1 ambient)
1 mini float switch SMD Fluid Controls FS25 (I'm manually do ato so I just need the float switch to turn on an led once it reach the level)

Power supply:
12v 195w meanwell waterproof power supply

PI equipments:
PI 4 Or Pi zero W
2x LM2596 (5v and 10v convertion)
1x Single power relay for the peltier
1x Pimoroni automation hat (for all 24v and 5 to 12v equipments)
1x Adafruit 16-Channel PWM / Servo HAT (no sure if both of these hat will stack will together yet or not)

Since everything is low voltage I'm not planning using AC outlet. All equipment will be directly connected to the controller board.

Other optional features:
2x Kamoer x1 doser running awc. I not looking to control it but if I can build something in to read the current draw when it's on will be nice. I know the dosing time per cycle. My thinking is put an time limiter on it for backup just in case the doser malfunction.
I think the power supply part will be complicated. If you have a single power supply (meanwell, in your case) and dividing it across different voltage inputs (5v, 3.3v, 12v, 24v) and each of them has different power consumption portfolio (LED is constant current, pumps will have high inductive load and back EMF) , they will interfere with each other. You'll need significant amount of passives (capacitors, mostly, and may be diods/resistors as well) at each junction of this custom PSU. I myself not very good at designing these, and learning, just be aware of this. I can definitely call out the things that worked for me in All in one setup (ph + kessil + outlets+temp +ato) ,, but this excluded powering LED directly or controlling pumps from the same unit.
I have tried experimenting with pico PSUs which provide different power outputs but for some reason it didnt work (i think the unit i was testing was faulty).

This is something we have to experiment and get sorted... keep us posted and start a thread if possible.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your requirements down and giving reef-pi a try, we really appreciate your feedback

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank for the reply your right I totally forgot about led light need a consistent current and motor power cycle. I just look into multiple voltage power supply their all too big and still need to regulate the amp. Plus way to expensive.

Guess I'll just build a separate junction box just for the power. Using AC line in and connect each individual original component power supply onto an terminal strip block.

Once I get all the parts in will start a project thread.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hola reef-pi users,
I have cut a bug fix release 2.5 to address the pi pwm frequency issue. It has some other miscellaneous driver fixes and dependency packages updates. Other than this , it’s really a small release and I am primarily focused one the 3.0 ui
Installable Packages are available from github: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.5

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Hola reef-pi users,
I have cut a bug fix release 2.5 to address the pi pwm frequency issue. It has some other miscellaneous driver fixes and dependency packages updates. Other than this , it’s really a small release and I am primarily focused one the 3.0 ui
Installable Packages are available from github: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.5

Does this include a bug fix for #794? If so I can run this tonight and report back. I have avoided moving to 3.0 or 2.4 due to the never off so I am glad to test if its in there.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Does this include a bug fix for #794? If so I can run this tonight and report back. I have avoided moving to 3.0 or 2.4 due to the never off so I am glad to test if its in there.
Nope, I am yet to fix the 100% pwm on pca9685 issue in next release

Why do you choose to shop with the companies you shop with it?

• Relationships with Employees or Owners

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Fair Pricing of Goods

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • Quality of Goods (FIRE corals or good product)

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Quality of Customer Service

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Ease of ordering or access to store

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Other (please exlain in the thread)

Votes: 2 5.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
PremiumAquatics.com