reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot there will be an 12v to 24v boost converter I just have found one that is small yet. I only need 2-3A all the only I found so far is 6+A just too big (physically).

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal is to have only one single multi cores (12 cores) power cord and, 2x cat 6 wire (1 for 3x temp proble and 1 for 3x pwm) coming off the tank to the controller.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I'm in the plan to build a DC only pico tank pi control. My think will be using the below equipment. The goal is to keep the control board as clean and plug and play as possible. I have selected some parts and need some help to see if it will work?

Tank equipment:

On/off and PWM control equipments
Light: Kessil A80 24v, 16w, 0 - 10v pwm
Return pump: Jabeo DC 650 Nano 24v, 8W, 0-5 PWM (I think) control

On/Off only
Filter pump: Mini DC pump 12v, 6w
Heater: DC Heating pad 24v, 15w
Peltier chiller: 12v, 100w, I have an stand alone tec PID controller.
Peltier Fan 2x: 12v, 0.15w total
Couple of mini Led indicator: 5v to 12v

Sensor:
3x Temperature probe (1 tank, 1 hot side of peltier, 1 ambient)
1 mini float switch SMD Fluid Controls FS25 (I'm manually do ato so I just need the float switch to turn on an led once it reach the level)

Power supply:
12v 195w meanwell waterproof power supply

PI equipments:
PI 4 Or Pi zero W
2x LM2596 (5v and 10v convertion)
1x Single power relay for the peltier
1x Pimoroni automation hat (for all 24v and 5 to 12v equipments)
1x Adafruit 16-Channel PWM / Servo HAT (no sure if both of these hat will stack will together yet or not)

Since everything is low voltage I'm not planning using AC outlet. All equipment will be directly connected to the controller board.

Other optional features:
2x Kamoer x1 doser running awc. I not looking to control it but if I can build something in to read the current draw when it's on will be nice. I know the dosing time per cycle. My thinking is put an time limiter on it for backup just in case the doser malfunction.
I think the power supply part will be complicated. If you have a single power supply (meanwell, in your case) and dividing it across different voltage inputs (5v, 3.3v, 12v, 24v) and each of them has different power consumption portfolio (LED is constant current, pumps will have high inductive load and back EMF) , they will interfere with each other. You'll need significant amount of passives (capacitors, mostly, and may be diods/resistors as well) at each junction of this custom PSU. I myself not very good at designing these, and learning, just be aware of this. I can definitely call out the things that worked for me in All in one setup (ph + kessil + outlets+temp +ato) ,, but this excluded powering LED directly or controlling pumps from the same unit.
I have tried experimenting with pico PSUs which provide different power outputs but for some reason it didnt work (i think the unit i was testing was faulty).

This is something we have to experiment and get sorted... keep us posted and start a thread if possible.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your requirements down and giving reef-pi a try, we really appreciate your feedback

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the reply your right I totally forgot about led light need a consistent current and motor power cycle. I just look into multiple voltage power supply their all too big and still need to regulate the amp. Plus way to expensive.

Guess I'll just build a separate junction box just for the power. Using AC line in and connect each individual original component power supply onto an terminal strip block.

Once I get all the parts in will start a project thread.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola reef-pi users,
I have cut a bug fix release 2.5 to address the pi pwm frequency issue. It has some other miscellaneous driver fixes and dependency packages updates. Other than this , it’s really a small release and I am primarily focused one the 3.0 ui
Installable Packages are available from github: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.5

brandon clow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola reef-pi users,
I have cut a bug fix release 2.5 to address the pi pwm frequency issue. It has some other miscellaneous driver fixes and dependency packages updates. Other than this , it’s really a small release and I am primarily focused one the 3.0 ui
Installable Packages are available from github: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/2.5

Does this include a bug fix for #794? If so I can run this tonight and report back. I have avoided moving to 3.0 or 2.4 due to the never off so I am glad to test if its in there.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this include a bug fix for #794? If so I can run this tonight and report back. I have avoided moving to 3.0 or 2.4 due to the never off so I am glad to test if its in there.
Nope, I am yet to fix the 100% pwm on pca9685 issue in next release

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize if this was covered, I searched the thread but couldn't find it.

Which tplink plugs are usable by reefpi ?

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I would like to measure the water level in a tank using my reef pi. (That is the actual water level not just the level is low with a traditional optical sensor)

Have come across the ‘etape liquid level sensor’ (google it). It says it works the same way as a thermistor. Could I define it as a thermometer to report water level (or any other way within reef pi? Thank you

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I would like to measure the water level in a tank using my reef pi. (That is the actual water level not just the level is low with a traditional optical sensor)

Have come across the ‘etape liquid level sensor’ (google it). It says it works the same way as a thermistor. Could I define it as a thermometer to report water level (or any other way within reef pi? Thank you
long back (pre 1.0) reef-pi used to support etapes (reef-pi used to be called as reefer during that time). I dropped its support due to lack of usecases and the complexity in wiring (SPI involves more wire), in favor of photoelectric sensor and float switches.
Now that we have HAL (hardware abstraction layer), it wont be hard to bring back support for etapes, but I have to sort out the usecases.

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long back (pre 1.0) reef-pi used to support etapes (reef-pi used to be called as reefer during that time). I dropped its support due to lack of usecases and the complexity in wiring (SPI involves more wire), in favor of photoelectric sensor and float switches.
Now that we have HAL (hardware abstraction layer), it wont be hard to bring back support for etapes, but I have to sort out the usecases.

Thanks for the swift response. Any eta on when you think this might be added?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another common technique is to measure the weight of the reservoir and calculate the level or volume from the weight. reef-pi doesn't support load cell weight sensors yet, but the driver system with v3.0 will make this much easier.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the swift response. Any eta on when you think this might be added?

I have no plan for it right now. As I was saying I want to understand how I’ll be using this to solve a specific problem related to reef keeping or any aquarium setup in general. Those bits are essential to understand what other pieces needed and if there exist alternate techniques

MikeSpike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no plan for it right now. As I was saying I want to understand how I’ll be using this to solve a specific problem related to reef keeping or any aquarium setup in general. Those bits are essential to understand what other pieces needed and if there exist alternate techniques

Some possible uses
1. Measuring how much water is let in R.O. rather than just 'Refill'
2. Using Reefpi to automate water changes in a more dynamic way e.g. 10l or 20l rather than at a set point of the infrared sensor

Mad_Deuce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib it is possible if you can tell know how much current does the kessil A80 0-10v draw per channel? I figure must be slow low 50ma ish per channel?

I'm calculating to see if my sinking output can handle the job or not. I'm using an automation hat there 3x 24v sinking output on board but can only handle 500ma combine. I already got one of the output slotted out to run 2x 12v fan at 150ma each. So not much amp left to share.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back