reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was looking at the board upside down i moved the pins and still nothing is happening when i try to adjust the levels but the LED just stays on constantly but dim. even if the Reef Pi is off the LED stays on, i hooked up a multimeter and there is a constant 3.11 volts coming from my wires.

And when i try to update on the raspberry it keeps telling me update fails.

From your previous post , I recall that the install was failing due to missing package file, I.e. the file was not actually downloaded in that location

Stephen2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does test driver shows up in drivers section?

Analog input

1564151763281.png

Drivers
Pico-board added on address 72
1564151803814.png

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I've been absent for some time, summer is just a busy time, going to try to catch up and see where things stand.

I saw a deal for o e of these from petco really has me thinking, does anyone know if these are any good - Fluval 13.5 Gallon Evo XII Marine?

I have two fluval specs and they have been good but wondering if it's possible to do a mini reef, looks like you can pick them up after price matching Amazon and coupon for $140, I already do RODI but not sure how difficult the small tanks are, thanks.

:)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I've been absent for some time, summer is just a busy time, going to try to catch up and see where things stand.

I saw a deal for o e of these from petco really has me thinking, does anyone know if these are any good - Fluval 13.5 Gallon Evo XII Marine?

I have two fluval specs and they have been good but wondering if it's possible to do a mini reef, looks like you can pick them up after price matching Amazon and coupon for $140, I already do RODI but not sure how difficult the small tanks are, thanks.

:)
they are not bad, the tank, form factor are all good. Depending upon what livestock you want to keep, you are likely to get rid of the stock light , filter media and may be the return as well. I personally not a huge fan of the corener braces its comes with, i find them eye sore.
So, if those things are not big deal for you, I think they are good choice. I ran a fluval spec 3 for two n half years and was fairly happy with it. But if you have specific livestock and necessary customization in mind, i'll recommend choosing sommething rimliess/brace less, and without lighting. So that you dont have to get rid of anything and just add the bits you want

bala murugan 00500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi friends,
I'm getting this error
{"error":"stats for id: '5' not found"} | HTTP 404

now I connected jebao ds-4 to reef pi. it is controlling it, no problem on that, I added dosing in the dashboard , it causing this error..... what i did wrong
Screenshot (145).png

Screenshot (146).png
I didn't do anything .. but it automatically showing the chart in Dashboard.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, i spend some time on the pi pwm frequency issue with 2.4 release. There was a nasty bug that i had overlooked, I feel really sorry about the users as 2.4 is was supposed to fix pwm issues on pi. I'll publish a bug fix 2.5 version as soon as possible. probably tonight

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp probes are you guys using in your builds?

Would these work?

I use 4 of these

connected in parallel across a 4.7k ohm resistor. They are covered (the metal part) with heat shrink tubing and a tip of silicon on the ends.. they work great, and tracking air temp, refugium, sump and main tank. alerts below 79 and over 80.5 (it's Texas, it's hot here) - and a fan turns on above 79.8 with 2 heaters that kick on around 79.2.. so far my temps really mostly hover 79.4 - 79.8 - I assume in winter I'll let it dip a little lower, but right now, the heater doesn't run much.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the loop for awhile. We bought our first house wo hoo! But a couple of months prior to settling and moving I had a strange crash. For no apparent reason all of my SPS just started to RTN. All parameters where within acceptable ranges but everything but soft coral and fish was dying. Knowing I was going to have to break down and move soon anyway I decided that chasing the problem was not worth it so decided to start over anyway when I get moved in. As I was breaking things down I found this!

FfGGlYU.jpg

All my other probes are encased in silicone but I decided to just drop this one in. It was the DROK probes that I installed April 1st https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY8U394/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I am not sure if this was what cuased the crash but it was not only rusted but oozing something out the top. I will be coating all sensors in silicone from here on out.

But here is the man cave as it sits now with the life I was able to salvage in a 15 gallon holding tank. reef-pi is only controling the light on this one. My 150 lbs of rock is currently curing in a garbage can of bleach and will be coming out next week. This time around I will be breaking the rock up and doing a bare bottom epoxied together rockscape. I have some catching up to do to get my reef-pi updated and lots of planning still to go.

WosMnp6.jpg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the crash, but congrats on the new house and man cave; looks great! Good luck on your new start!

-FF

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the loop for awhile. We bought our first house wo hoo! But a couple of months prior to settling and moving I had a strange crash. For no apparent reason all of my SPS just started to RTN. All parameters where within acceptable ranges but everything but soft coral and fish was dying. Knowing I was going to have to break down and move soon anyway I decided that chasing the problem was not worth it so decided to start over anyway when I get moved in. As I was breaking things down I found this!

FfGGlYU.jpg

All my other probes are encased in silicone but I decided to just drop this one in. It was the DROK probes that I installed April 1st https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY8U394/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I am not sure if this was what cuased the crash but it was not only rusted but oozing something out the top. I will be coating all sensors in silicone from here on out.

But here is the man cave as it sits now with the life I was able to salvage in a 15 gallon holding tank. reef-pi is only controling the light on this one. My 150 lbs of rock is currently curing in a garbage can of bleach and will be coming out next week. This time around I will be breaking the rock up and doing a bare bottom epoxied together rockscape. I have some catching up to do to get my reef-pi updated and lots of planning still to go.

WosMnp6.jpg
Sorry to hear about the stuff issues. New man cave looks fantastic .
Just rusting rarely cause problem, but if it also involved some other metal leaching , that can be problematic for sure .

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the process of encasing the probes in silicone? Does it effect the accuracy of the probe?

I just used my finger to put reef safe silicone all around the sensor and up the wire a bit. I have heard of others putting the sensor in a straw and sealing the ends with silicone as well. I noticed no difference in performance doing this.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib is there a way to add a delay to a piece of equipment when reefpi starts up? For instance after a power outage i need my slimmer not to come in immediately instead i need it to delay for about a minute to allow the return pump to return the sump back to normal water level.

The way it is now cause my skimmer to overflow. Thanks!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib is there a way to add a delay to a piece of equipment when reefpi starts up? For instance after a power outage i need my slimmer not to come in immediately instead i need it to delay for about a minute to allow the return pump to return the sump back to normal water level.

A time delay relay would do this.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not that I can think of. This sounds like a good feature to have. I have some random delays (sub second ) before restoring relay states upon startup , but it’s not configurable. It’s there to avoid surge usage

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just finished assembling an all in one controller for the upcoming 3.0 release. Check this out:
It’s almost 6.5”x3.5”, sleeker than all older builds.
5168D9BD-516C-4BC1-993A-FB36FC14799B.jpeg

It supports one water level sensor, one kessil control output and one temperature sensor. All exposed via audio connectors
F428C2B0-17CD-4C02-AE15-3F72382B2F11.jpeg

It’s a two part enclosure . Power control will be done using Kasa smart powerstrip
4296DCC5-604E-4D07-8155-08F805B30739.jpeg

I used the same build to test out pi pwm issues with reef-pi 2.4. Now the unit is going through testing against the garage tank. If I feel comfortable, I’ll swap the pico tanks controller with this one . I am thinking of creating a reef2reef specific build you own reef-pi with this unit . What you’ll think ? Good idea ? B2E9BDF5-B0E9-4D72-AA40-37426A7507A9.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back