reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib An add to above...all 4 of my lighting channels are on interval start time of 00:00:00 and ending 23:59:59

Pca9685 set at 250hz light1 jack pins 3,4 light2 jack pins 6,7

Frontlight is light1(3,4) and rearlight is light2(6,7)
Thanks I needed the profile details, so
start: 00:00:00
end: 23:59:59
what about interval and the setpoints?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So this is effectively a 24 hour light setup ?
Yes intervals are what the ui made them. Nl special profiles yet I use blue nightlights overnight til 2am.

White lights...pins 3 and 6 are off at the time thisn
happens but blues pins 4 and 7 are at 99 or 100 percent at the time.

White lights
Screenshot_20191204-014152_Chrome.jpg

Blue lights
Screenshot_20191204-014214_Chrome.jpg

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes intervals are what the ui made them. Nl special profiles yet I use blue nightlights overnight til 2am.

White lights...pins 3 and 6 are off at the time thisn
happens but blues pins 4 and 7 are at 99 or 100 percent at the time.

White lights
Screenshot_20191204-014152_Chrome.jpg

Blue lights
Screenshot_20191204-014214_Chrome.jpg
While i work on the fix, i was also thinking this profile can be written more tersely,
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 11.52.09 PM.png

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Just as a thought, if the lights are power-cycling at midnight due to that interval.....

Is the reefpi on the same power circuit as the lights? If you're cycling all your lights at the same time, it could be causing a voltage dip on the AC power circuit, and causing the pi to reset.

-Hans

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just as a thought, if the lights are power-cycling at midnight due to that interval.....

Is the reefpi on the same power circuit as the lights? If you're cycling all your lights at the same time, it could be causing a voltage dip on the AC power circuit, and causing the pi to reset.

-Hans
Thanks for the input but no, my lights are on seperate 15v 8A power supplies. I have a [email protected] meanwell for the pi and ML hat another meanwell for the relay boards and other externals The pi only provides the pwm signal. The reboot is driver related and it shows that in the logs.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Found a small issue with my own today. The LM7805 regulators do work fine, but require heat-sinking at the required wattage, gets too hot without it. Not a big deal but something to plan for. Since I don't have any heat-sinks around right now for that size part, I dropped in a similar sized switcher regulator from EzSbc, in this case their PSU-2-5. They make some great little switchers in a tiny package.

Back to having fun again.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Found a small issue with my own today. The LM7805 regulators do work fine, but require heat-sinking at the required wattage, gets too hot without it. Not a big deal but something to plan for. Since I don't have any heat-sinks around right now for that size part, I dropped in a similar sized switcher regulator from EzSbc, in this case their PSU-2-5. They make some great little switchers in a tiny package.

The old school linear regulators actually make very clean power in a step down situation. The only problem is wasted power which ends up as heat.
I just use a small meanwell rs unit for each voltage id need. The rs-15-5 is 3amps at 5 volts and is only 2"x2"x1". Clean power and the rs-15-12 is the same footprint for your 12v.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
The meanwell stuff is great, but I just find it so bulky. That's one reason my go-to for higher amperage is the EzSbc stuff at 3.3v or 5v. They have a line of regulators from 1A to 3A designed to drop-in replace TO-220 sized regulators. Though I'm not a fan of their TO-3 sized stuff, I've found the voltage doesn't meet spec a lot of the time with some of that style.

But yeah, the clean power of linears is definitely nice. It's shame so many are getting discontinued, but at the same time portable stuff can't deal with the low efficiency, high heat, and heavy heatsinks needed for larger draw.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
While i work on the fix, i was also thinking this profile can be written more tersely,
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 11.52.09 PM.png
@Ranjib
Just a bit of info if this helps.
I rewrote the profile similar to above and NO CRASH and REBOOT. So the bug shows when interval is 00:00:00 to 23:59:59 but sett similar to above it worked out fine.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib
Just a bit of info if this helps.
I rewrote the profile similar to above and NO CRASH and REBOOT. So the bug shows when interval is 00:00:00 to 23:59:59 but sett similar to above it worked out fine.
Yup. But it’s still a bug. I’ve been able to reproduce it, I’ll get it fixed soon.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello again

Any ideas what i can do with my camera ?
Its an original raspberry cam.

330E8E6D-E888-45D1-AAE4-D161536598A0.png
Take periodic photos and upload them in google drive.

It’s not very good solution and I have not used it in a while. It takes significant amount of computing resources and the actual controller function can be at risk. I just found the 30$ security cameras (like Wyze) to be lit better at this.

That said, it’s not cool to have bugs like this, I’ll test and fix it . Thank you for reporting this. Is this happening on 3.0 ?

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Nice. I’m trying out ubec buck converter in my new builds, they are bit pricy but renowned for their superior quality and provides decent emd protection

Zippyfear

View Badges
Reaction score

It’s not very good solution and I have not used it in a while. It takes significant amount of computing resources and the actual controller function can be at risk. I just found the 30$ security cameras (like Wyze) to be lit better at this.

That said, it’s not cool to have bugs like this, I’ll test and fix it . Thank you for reporting this. Is this happening on 3.0 ?
agreed. I just picked up these.

They have magnetic bases, and are very slim attached to the side of the tank. so they actually are just about perfect. - They were recently on Black Friday sale - 2 for $45!

Please excuse the messy Reef-Pi - it's currently undergoing reconstruction with new circuits into a new case.

reef1.jpg

Blaxkin

View Badges
Reaction score
agreed. I just picked up these.

They have magnetic bases, and are very slim attached to the side of the tank. so they actually are just about perfect. - They were recently on Black Friday sale - 2 for $45!

Please excuse the messy Reef-Pi - it's currently undergoing reconstruction with new circuits into a new case.

reef1.jpg
Thanks for the tip :) now i ordered one of the yi cam :)

Blaxkin

View Badges
Reaction score

Yes it happens in 3.0

Blaxkin

View Badges
Reaction score
And now is see after the change for an extra power supply and an 3300uf capacitor i also has peaks. Not so much but the graph is invisible after 1 peak.

I cant coding :-( but is there a simple way in code to ignore 85 and 127 values ?
93732359-252E-4488-B199-595D5C0C497E.png

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
And now is see after the change for an extra power supply and an 3300uf capacitor i also has peaks. Not so much but the graph is invisible after 1 peak.

I cant coding :-( but is there a simple way in code to ignore 85 and 127 values ?
93732359-252E-4488-B199-595D5C0C497E.png
Nothing yet. But you can use the reef-pi db command to do some surgery against the database and remove those values (replace ID with the specific id for your temperature sensor)
Code:
sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo reef-pi db show temperature_usage <ID> > usage.json
# edit the json file and remove the bogus values
cat usage.json | sudo reef-pi db update temperature_usage <ID>
sudo systemctl start reef-pi.service
you can get the id of temperature sensors/controllers like this:
Code:
sudo reef-pi db list temperature

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
The next version of my hat is close to being locked-down for ordering. Still developmental at this stage, but I'm comfortable/confident enough to start adding more features now. I'll keep adding stuff as my understanding gets stronger of how things work. Next round is a big layout change, which should be more enclosure friendly. I'm not quite ready to start releasing things into github yet for these but I'll again be offering up leftovers for cost when I've tested these out.

It may be a bit aggressive of me to do this big a change so soon, given how little I've tested, but I'm already doing a board order this weekend, and I can piggy-back this revision in and save a lot on shipping.

1: Adding spots for dual Atlanta Scientific probe modules, including an isolation circuit on-board.
2: Making the 4-pin headers both compatible for temp probe circuits.
3: Aligning the Pi-Zero so it can mount on top, and all connectors other than power face the same direction.
4: Moving all the resistors to surface mount, as this is already getting crowded quickly, and I have plans still.

Reefpi v0_2.JPG

Are you still ordering livestock or are you going to wait it out?

• I'm still ordering and not worried

Votes: 267 33.2%
  • I'm ordering but being cautious about delivery

Votes: 155 19.3%
  • No I am not ordering right now

Votes: 345 42.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 38 4.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Cherry Corals presents Coral Madness in March!