reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The next version of my hat is close to being locked-down for ordering. Still developmental at this stage, but I'm comfortable/confident enough to start adding more features now. I'll keep adding stuff as my understanding gets stronger of how things work. Next round is a big layout change, which should be more enclosure friendly. I'm not quite ready to start releasing things into github yet for these but I'll again be offering up leftovers for cost when I've tested these out.

It may be a bit aggressive of me to do this big a change so soon, given how little I've tested, but I'm already doing a board order this weekend, and I can piggy-back this revision in and save a lot on shipping.

1: Adding spots for dual Atlanta Scientific probe modules, including an isolation circuit on-board.
2: Making the 4-pin headers both compatible for temp probe circuits.
3: Aligning the Pi-Zero so it can mount on top, and all connectors other than power face the same direction.
4: Moving all the resistors to surface mount, as this is already getting crowded quickly, and I have plans still.

Reefpi v0_2.JPG
i love seeing these iterative improvements. Curious why atlas scientific board over reef-pi ph board. Purdon me if yuu have already answered.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
doesn’t the reef-pi ph board use an atlas module? I was using the guide linked on page 1 of this thread. Or was there a different version I didn’t see? I’ve only got this in cad so far, easy to change still.

I’m still learning the system and I’m not familiar at all with the coding side, so I’m trying to stick with known-supported hardware.

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
doesn’t the reef-pi ph board use an atlas module? I was using the guide linked on page 1 of this thread. Or was there a different version I didn’t see? I’ve only got this in cad so far, easy to change still.

I’m still learning the system and I’m not familiar at all with the coding side, so I’m trying to stick with known-supported hardware.
Till reef-pi 2.0 atlas scientific ezo board was the only way to get ph readings. Post 2.0, @Roberto_b designed and graciously contributed a opensource ph board https://github.com/reef-pi/ph-board for reef-pi project. In US there are couple of folks who assemble it. @Michael Lane has it in his tindie store. 3.0 has built in support for this and I intend to update the adafruit guides with that board instead. EZO board support will still be there, but reef-pi ph board will be the official recommendation / present in standard documentations. Its lot cheaper and opensource, I think this is the right thing to do, as long as supply chain is present

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Ahhh, now I see it, and yes I think I'll restructure around that schematic in its place. Very clean schematic, easy to read. The good part is I'm already using an isolation circuit based around the same ADM3260 chip, so a lot of the work is already in place. And I don't think it will affect my footprint at all for the PCB.

My reasoning for two probe modules was one Ph and one ORP. So I'll just plan it out that way from the start.

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Quick question about something I've noticed.

Our electricity supplier here in SA has just started implementing "load shedding" where there is supply problems and everyone has scheduled power outages. My area typically has 2 hours a day, occasionally 2 sessions of 2 hours. This will typically last a week and then they will be back on track. It doesn't worry me and my tank. I'm equipped to handle it.

BUT i noticed something interesting with the ATO usage graphs below. My main Tank ATO usage in the top centre has data saved from as far back as the 26th November. The AWC Out and AWC In at the bottom left and centre lose all their data every time the Pi loses power. Not sure if this is some sort of bug or not.

2019-12-06 (2).png

Corals.com

Blaxkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry for a temperature question again :rolleyes:

its not possible for me to write here if its 85 ignore or skip this value ?

func (c *Controller) Read(tc TC) (float64, error) {
log.Println("Reading temperature from device:", tc.Sensor)
if c.devMode {
log.Println("Temperature controller is running in dev mode, skipping sensor reading.")
if tc.Fahrenheit {
return telemetry.TwoDecimal(78.0 + (3 * rand.Float64())), nil
} else {
return telemetry.TwoDecimal(24.4 + (1.5 * rand.Float64())), nil
}
}
fi, err := os.Open(filepath.Join("/sys/bus/w1/devices", tc.Sensor, "w1_slave"))
if err != nil {
return -1, err

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
@Blaxkin I used to get those 85 deg errors a while back but i changed out a power supply which fixed it.
Since updating to 3.0 im getting these errors, which I never had in previous versons, but in negative 2035 and 2046... I wonder if they are related.

temp.JPG

Blaxkin

View Badges
Reaction score
i found some infos in the sensor documentation.

"Under parasite power, if tRSTL > 960μs, a power-on reset can occur."

Maybe this is my Problem ? I use all Sensors in parasite.

@buddy. ok negative i don't have an the power supply i changed

i think a good way is to ignore the error values and to fix the graph maybe from 15 to 30 or what else

Last edited:
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Blaxkin I used to get those 85 deg errors a while back but i changed out a power supply which fixed it.
Since updating to 3.0 im getting these errors, which I never had in previous versons, but in negative 2035 and 2046... I wonder if they are related.

temp.JPG
No clue :0-(

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
i found some infos in the sensor documentation.

"Under parasite power, if tRSTL > 960μs, a power-on reset can occur."

Maybe this is my Problem ? I use all Sensors in parasite.

@buddy. ok negative i don't have an the power supply i changed

i think a good way is to ignore the error values and to fix the graph maybe from 15 to 30 or what else
Thats a good find. Let us know if changing that fixes your problem

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sorry for a temperature question again :rolleyes:

its not possible for me to write here if its 85 ignore or skip this value ?

func (c *Controller) Read(tc TC) (float64, error) {
log.Println("Reading temperature from device:", tc.Sensor)
if c.devMode {
log.Println("Temperature controller is running in dev mode, skipping sensor reading.")
if tc.Fahrenheit {
return telemetry.TwoDecimal(78.0 + (3 * rand.Float64())), nil
} else {
return telemetry.TwoDecimal(24.4 + (1.5 * rand.Float64())), nil
}
}
fi, err := os.Open(filepath.Join("/sys/bus/w1/devices", tc.Sensor, "w1_slave"))
if err != nil {
return -1, err
yes, thats absolutely possible. But its very specific to your issue. It will not work if the controller used in a different range and it may mask real issues. A good way of fixing this will be to apply moving average instead, which will work irrespective of what temperature range the controller is operating on. This will take a bit more time and effort, but thats the right thing to do.

Blaxkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Ok :) Can you say to me where i can change this value ? :)
I think in the linux driver w1_slave i found it. But on Raspberry i don't know

/* prevent the slave from going away in sleep */
atomic_inc(THERM_REFCNT(family_data));
memset(rom, 0, sizeof(rom));
while (max_trying--) {
verdict = 0;
crc = 0;
if (!w1_reset_select_slave(sl)) {
int count = 0;
unsigned int tm = 750;
unsigned long sleep_rem;
w1_write_8(dev, W1_READ_PSUPPLY);
external_power = w1_read_8(dev);
if (w1_reset_select_slave(sl))
continue;
/* 750ms strong pullup (or delay) after the convert */
if (w1_strong_pullup == 2 ||
(!external_power && w1_strong_pullup))
w1_next_pullup(dev, tm);
w1_write_8(dev, W1_CONVERT_TEMP);
if (external_power) {
mutex_unlock(&dev->bus_mutex);
sleep_rem = msleep_interruptible(tm);
if (sleep_rem != 0) {
ret = -EINTR;
goto post_unlock;
}

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Quick question about something I've noticed.

Our electricity supplier here in SA has just started implementing "load shedding" where there is supply problems and everyone has scheduled power outages. My area typically has 2 hours a day, occasionally 2 sessions of 2 hours. This will typically last a week and then they will be back on track. It doesn't worry me and my tank. I'm equipped to handle it.

BUT i noticed something interesting with the ATO usage graphs below. My main Tank ATO usage in the top centre has data saved from as far back as the 26th November. The AWC Out and AWC In at the bottom left and centre lose all their data every time the Pi loses power. Not sure if this is some sort of bug or not.

2019-12-06 (2).png
Can you file a issue in github to track this. I need to dig deeper into this. Somethings to remember
- reef-pi stores all stats in memory to reduce disk io. This is a global strategy to avoid sad card wear and tier as much as possible,
- reef-pi will save the stats in disk (sd card ) during regular shutdown and hourly roll up .
- if you are shutting down the pi abruptly , it is expected to loose the current hours data,

I have to decipher if your condition is as expected due to those. Or we have a bug somewhere

MikeSpike

View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib is the check frequency Time in the ATO tab just for turning ON. E.g. I set the frequency to 2 minutes - it will check if the tanks needs more water every 2 mins. However When it does turn the ATO pump on it will then monitor real time to know when to turn it off? Or will it only check the sensor again in another 2 mins (and my tank will be full of RODI) - in which case I would set my time to something like 5 seconds.
thank u

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Ranjib is the check frequency Time in the ATO tab just for turning ON. E.g. I set the frequency to 2 minutes - it will check if the tanks needs more water every 2 mins. However When it does turn the ATO pump on it will then monitor real time to know when to turn it off? Or will it only check the sensor again in another 2 mins (and my tank will be full of RODI) - in which case I would set my time to something like 5 seconds.
thank u
The second one. Configure the ato to run every 5 seconds. I’ll be changing the default check frequency to 5 in next minor release

We are thinking of a feature akin to option 1, as you called out. Feel free to add comments in the tracking issue https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/issues/701

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
Is there a good write-up somewhere about setting up a pH probe for 3.0? The adafruit guide is outdated now & I'm having trouble getting my pH board to be recognized.

Also, I've got a really weird bug when I try to go to my connectors:
TypeError: this.state.driver is undefined
in t in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in div in div in t in div in t in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in a

This error when I go to the log:
Error: Minified React error #31; visit https://reactjs.org/docs/error-decoder.html?invariant=31&args[]=TypeError: e.drivers.filter(...)[0] is undefined&args[]= for the full message or use the non-minified dev environment for full errors and additional helpful warnings.
in td in tr in tbody in table in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in a

OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is there a good write-up somewhere about setting up a pH probe for 3.0? The adafruit guide is outdated now & I'm having trouble getting my pH board to be recognized.

Also, I've got a really weird bug when I try to go to my connectors:
TypeError: this.state.driver is undefined
in t in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in div in div in t in div in t in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in a

This error when I go to the log:
Error: Minified React error #31; visit https://reactjs.org/docs/error-decoder.html?invariant=31&args[]=TypeError: e.drivers.filter(...)[0] is undefined&args[]= for the full message or use the non-minified dev environment for full errors and additional helpful warnings.
in td in tr in tbody in table in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in div in div in div in div in t in Connect(t) in t in a
I am really slacking on updating the docs.. here are the steps:
- Go to drivers tab and add a new driver , choose type as ph board and address 64 (or whatever you have configured, get it using i2cdetect)
- Once the driver is added, head over to the connector tab and create an analog input , with the new driver and pin 0.
- Head over to ph tab and create a probe , associate the newly created analog input with it

Thats it. The connector UI issue you are facing indicates you have connectors that have non-existent driver. It can happen due to 2 -> 3 upgrade or some other issues (deleted driver without deleting connectors). Reset database if possible, and make sure to delete connectors before deleting their associated drivers

Schreiber

View Badges
Reaction score
I am really slacking on updating the docs.. here are the steps:
- Go to drivers tab and add a new driver , choose type as ph board and address 64 (or whatever you have configured, get it using i2cdetect)
- Once the driver is added, head over to the connector tab and create an analog input , with the new driver and pin 0.
- Head over to ph tab and create a probe , associate the newly created analog input with it

Thats it. The connector UI issue you are facing indicates you have connectors that have non-existent driver. It can happen due to 2 -> 3 upgrade or some other issues (deleted driver without deleting connectors). Reset database if possible, and make sure to delete connectors before deleting their associated drivers
Thanks for the suggestions. That's exactly what happened, I deleted the pH driver to troubleshoot it.

I just reset my database & started from scratch. Everything is good so far! The only minor thing I've run into is the annoying pH probe calibration. Whenever you type in a value, it outlines the box in red & says it's not valid. However, if you click the arrows to the side to go up by one, then back down by one to the same value, it lets you calibrate it.

How often do you "endorse" reef aquarium products?

• Every Chance I get

Votes: 22 5.2%
  • Only In Certain Situations

Votes: 192 45.5%
  • Not Too Often

Votes: 145 34.4%
  • Never

Votes: 57 13.5%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 6 1.4%

Online statistics

Members online