reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the adafruit io error likely indicate a temp or ph or ato name has space in it (that causes wrong feed name), the ph driver error is something i have experienced as well. Its either another electrical device interferring or some issues with driver / code. I have never seen it persistently in a stable build.
Thanks. I have taken all Caps and spaces out of Temp, pH and ATO names. Cleared all errors - Lets see.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have taken all Caps and spaces out of Temp, pH and ATO names. Cleared all errors - Lets see.

Hhhhhhmmmmm. Took all the Caps etc out and cleared the Errors and a whole lot popped right back.

2020-01-13 (1).png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the amount of errors in my reef-pi dashboard and decided to check them out. I normally ignore them because I don't understand what the majority of them mean and I can virtually never fix any of them LOL.

But I noticed quite a few of them were about an invalid url for AIO. AIO is set up and seems to be working just fine. Curious why it should be generating errors.

Second I noticed that there are occasional errors related to pH. I'm currently trying to see if them relate to the anomalous reading I get occasionally.

2020-01-13.png
the adafruit io error likely indicate a temp or ph or ato name has space in it (that causes wrong feed name), the ph driver error is something i have experienced as well. Its either another electrical device interferring or some issues with driver / code. I have never seen it persistently in a stable build.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
i need help connecting my Jebao dosing pump (PD4), i have the one with the controller built in not the sleeve, it has 2 boards one connected to the motors and the other seems to be for generating signals. this is done by the controlling a 74HC595 Shift Register on the first board.
I tested the rj45 connections and one is connected to ground (not 12 volt power like in the sleeve model as posted by @Michael Lane)
i know i can use 2 TB6621 boards to control the 4 motors, however i did some research online and found that the 74HC595 Shift Register can be controlled by raspberry pi but couldn't get any clear instructions
It Would be great if anyone can help with this, i need to control the 74HC595 Shift Register with PCA9685 through reef-pi
also if that is difficult can I try and use the rj45 poet to control the motors through ULN using the same wiring as reported by @Michael Lane
thanks

original.jpg without cables.jpg

You will need to unplug the motor wires from the board on the expansion unit and plug into PCA9685 .

There is no need to use the original board. Program PCA9685 in Reef-Pi as doser and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib are there plans to add stepper motor control? Id have my reef pi controlling my doser, but if I were to ever upgrade I think a stepper motor would be the ideal choice
Yes there is plan for stepper motor control. The idea is to test it out with stepper based doser and also to use it as the foundation for titration related work in future.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My availability will be little think next few
Thought you may be interested in this, @Ranjib . The Reef Bot page has a developer section where you can apply for access to their API. I know Reef Bot implementation is probably way down the list of priorities, but cool to know the option is there.
Nice. I dont have any immediate plans to work on any of this.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I wanted to run an idea past you all as a sanity check.. I have some LED lights that are controlled via 24V PWM. In looking, it seems like there's a Mean Well supply that accepts PWM signals and outputs a 24V PWM signal. It can also work based on varying the resistance between the input wires, which seems like it could perhaps make it easier vs generating and controlling a PWM signal.

ELG-75-12A

This should be possible to hook up as a light, right?

The data sheet is here https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/260/ELG-75-SPEC-1109967.pdf and the dimming specs are on page 4. It takes a 10V PWM signal in, and converts it to 24V out. Seems reasonable, seems easy.. right? I should be able to just use the PWM output signal following the Kessil guide, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I wanted to run an idea past you all as a sanity check.. I have some LED lights that are controlled via 24V PWM. In looking, it seems like there's a Mean Well supply that accepts PWM signals and outputs a 24V PWM signal. It can also work based on varying the resistance between the input wires, which seems like it could perhaps make it easier vs generating and controlling a PWM signal.

ELG-75-12A

This should be possible to hook up as a light, right?

The data sheet is here https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/260/ELG-75-SPEC-1109967.pdf and the dimming specs are on page 4. It takes a 10V PWM signal in, and converts it to 24V out. Seems reasonable, seems easy.. right? I should be able to just use the PWM output signal following the Kessil guide, right?
Pca9685 generates 3-5v pwm signal, you have to pass it through an intermediate circuit (similar to kessil controller) to convert it 10v. Ldd series mean we’ll drivers will work straight with 5v pwm

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pca9685 generates 3-5v pwm signal, you have to pass it through an intermediate circuit (similar to kessil controller) to convert it 10v. Ldd series mean we’ll drivers will work straight with 5v pwm

Good point. Unlike the Kessil lights these panels actually dim based on their input power - they don't have a separate input for a dimming controller. Since I need to run two banks of lights, I don't think the LDD series will work - they seem to top out at 1.5 amps which seems like it won't be enough if I want to run at 100% (will verify though..).

Thank you for the reply. Good to know that my understanding is at least somewhat correct.

MangroveCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to check if these female pins 2.1mm will work just the same for the power controller build.
uxcell DC-015 5.5mmx2.1mm DC Power Jack Socket 3 Pin Female Panel Mount Connector 10pcs
Does this need to be a 3 pin? I’m finding a lot of 5mm 2.1mm wkth only 2 pins to buy on amazon

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Unlike the Kessil lights these panels actually dim based on their input power - they don't have a separate input for a dimming controller. Since I need to run two banks of lights, I don't think the LDD series will work - they seem to top out at 1.5 amps which seems like it won't be enough if I want to run at 100% (will verify though..).

Thank you for the reply. Good to know that my understanding is at least somewhat correct.

Both of the drivers ELG and LDD work on the same principle. It is proffered for the LEDs to operate at constant current, hence these are constant current drivers. Number of LEDs supported depends on the drive voltage applied to both of these drives. The adjustment is dependent on the control voltage input which in turn will translate into LED intensity. The ELG use 0-10V control voltage and LDD use 0-5V control voltage.

LDD driver will definitely be sufficient form 1 LED to as many as you want as long as you satisfy the required LED number forward voltage. If you want to hookup LEDs in parallel (not typical) then you could use the ELG driver. This is where you would need higher current driver and ELG provides the higher rating. Otherwise you need to know what is the maximum current LED will support and make sure your LDD is able to supply that. Most LEDs used for the reef are either 700mA or 1000mA.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for having been absent for so long. I'm on the the 3.0 build, and once I was able to clear and rebuild the database, I'm loving this version. I do have a question about LED lights though. I was recently gifted an already assembled DIY LED kit. It has 2 plug for power, with one being the main power supply, and the other being the signal to turn on the lights. All the LEDs are on a single channel, but it's super bright. Is there a way to tie this into the reef-pi for light ramping?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for having been absent for so long. I'm on the the 3.0 build, and once I was able to clear and rebuild the database, I'm loving this version. I do have a question about LED lights though. I was recently gifted an already assembled DIY LED kit. It has 2 plug for power, with one being the main power supply, and the other being the signal to turn on the lights. All the LEDs are on a single channel, but it's super bright. Is there a way to tie this into the reef-pi for light ramping?

If the "other" input is DC 0-10V, then yes, you can use reef-pi to output the ramp up/down voltages to control the intensity. I do this on my BuildMyLED fixtures and it works great.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the "other" input is DC 0-10V, then yes, you can use reef-pi to output the ramp up/down voltages to control the intensity. I do this on my BuildMyLED fixtures and it works great.

Looks like the power supply is set for 3 volts. I should just need to tip the connector and plug it into the reef-pi, correct?

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, which kits did you buy from there? The food, or cannabis kits? Never mind, I see they stopped making aquarium kits.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back