reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you tagged the wrong member, buddy.

Sending goid luck with the house inspection!
Oops. Updated :)
Home purchase is stressful .. so many documents :-O

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these exact same issues with the temp probes (I have 2 as well - one in the fuge, one in the skimmer section). They would randomly read some large negative value.

Initially I thought as Bigtrout did and started with double checking my connections with some continuity testing, then shortening the cables to minimize the run to the probe. These probes have sheathing, so i also tried grounding the sheathing. None of these things worked.

I've been testing a new temp probe for the last week and it is rock solid, while the old probe is still spiking once or twice a day. Below are the probes - both good and bad.

(Old) Flakey Probe = DROK 2pc -55 to 125 Deg C, -67 to 257 Deg F Indoor Outdoor Water Cooling Heater Temperature Sensor, 3 Meter Waterproof Cable with Stainless Steel Probe This is the orange color cabled temp probes - I actually cut the wire down to 1 meter from PI enclosure to Sump and coated probe in silicone.

(New) Solid Probe = Diymore 5Pcs DS18B20 Length 2M Waterproof Temperature Sensor Thermistor Temperature Controller Thermometer with Probe (2M) - Black probe - again I cut the wire down to 1 meter and did not coat in silicone.
Thats strange. I have 3 of the drok probes...left the cables at 2 meters and they have been rock solid for over a year now. I have 2 of the black wired probes that sit as spares and no problems with those either.
I used to have occasional strage readings but that all went away when I tracked down bad power supplies that fed my Beamswork lights. They caused bad interference on dang near everything. Ph probe, temp probes, cable modem...once I replaced them my build has been troublefree.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a bit of control, I popped in my other SD card with a known working 3.0 and the probes are ticking away like a Swiss watch.

Either 3.1 doesn't like the Drok probes... Which I don't think is the case, or the 3.1 install got corrupted somehow or there is a software conflict.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This probe from sparkfun has been good to me

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This probe from sparkfun has been good to me

I've got one of those laying around here somewhere and may try it.

Right now though it seems 3.1 install is the issue as the probes seem to be firing just fine under my old 3.0 install. Going to play around with it this weekend.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice - get your own home inspector don't rely on the an inspection bought and paid for by the seller.

Or the realtor! They also have a vested interest in you buying the home. Try to find one on your own if you can. Angie's List can be expensive, but it's worth it when buying a house.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the calibration process for the pH probe using the blue acro base broad using reef-pi 3.0? Does the calibrate button work yet?

Cannot answer your question but it's good to see you here again!

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the calibration process for the pH probe using the blue acro base broad using reef-pi 3.0? Does the calibrate button work yet?

I've never used the acro board, but I can confirm the calibration button does work now! No more fiddling in the terminal with raw mV values & editing configuration files. Assuming there are no special steps to using the acro board, you should be good to go.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the acro board, but I can confirm the calibration button does work now! No more fiddling in the terminal with raw mV values & editing configuration files. Assuming there are no special steps to using the acro board, you should be good to go.

There was an initial driver issue that was eventually figured out, but I was given a pre-alpha version of 3.0 to test quite some time ago. The calibration method was rather involving from what I remember. If the calibration button works, I'll be giving it a shot shortly. I've had my calibration packets in my sump, warming up for quite some time. I'll post my experience on here.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm J Marc Overton on FB, so we've been chatting about your Leviathan board a little bit.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I'm J Marc Overton on FB, so we've been chatting about your Leviathan board a little bit.

Hey there, yeah! Glad to put another name to a forum handle.

During my pre-launch phase, I had a sign-up page that entered people to win a free Leviathan board. Another Reef2Reef member who's actually already dealt with Reef-Pi won that, had no idea who he was when I drew the name! I'd tag him, but not sure he wants his handle tied to his real name.

I was just glad it went to someone who knew exactly what they were getting & how helpful it would be, rather than someone who just signed up for something they had no clue about because it might be free, lol.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, yeah! Glad to put another name to a forum handle.

During my pre-launch phase, I had a sign-up page that entered people to win a free Leviathan board. Another Reef2Reef member who's actually already dealt with Reef-Pi won that, had no idea who he was when I drew the name! I'd tag him, but not sure he wants his handle tied to his real name.

I was just glad it went to someone who knew exactly what they were getting & how helpful it would be, rather than someone who just signed up for something they had no clue about because it might be free, lol.

Reef-Pi has a lot of folks using it at various levels. There are quite a few project builds in R2R, including my own. I would leverage your leviathan board the same way I leveraged the pico-board I have, and I'd probably use a Pi3B+ as the brain for the USB ports for possibly expanded functionality. I wish I had known about your project earlier though, but hey, you've got my support, or you will, probably tomorrow. LOL

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back