reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I still have problem with temperature sensor.
Which is exactly the 4.7k resistor to use to connect the red and yellow cable?
I see there are different kinds of resistor... blue (or ciano) type and light brown tipe.... which is the right I should use?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
This resistor is just a pull up resistor for the one wire buss so its not handling any appreciable amounts of current. Being a pullup it just needs to be close to 4.7k so no need to spend alot for high tolerance resistors. Any resistor of 4.7k will do just fine. The light brown type 1/8 watt 4.7k resistor is perfect.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This resistor is just a pull up resistor for the one wire buss so its not handling any appreciable amounts of current. Being a pullup it just needs to be close to 4.7k so no need to spend alot for high tolerance resistors. Any resistor of 4.7k will do just fine. The light brown type 1/8 watt 4.7k resistor is perfect.

I have tried with a 6.8k resistor, but:
- if "dev_mode" is selected, I see 3 sensors.
- if "dev_mode" is not selected, I can't see any sensor.

I will buy some 4.7k resistor and I will try again.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried with a 6.8k resistor, but:
- if "dev_mode" is selected, I see 3 sensors.
- if "dev_mode" is not selected, I can't see any sensor.

I will buy some 4.7k resistor and I will try again.
Ok dev mode adds in 3 "dummy sensors" as a testing mode. You dont want to be in dev mode.

If you have 2 6.8k resistors, placing them in parallel would be the same as having a 3.4k resistor which should be ok. Depending on wire length etc on the one wire bus the pullup resistor isnt etched in stone as to its value. 4.7k is a good starting point but some people have had to experiment. Just dont go lower than 2k. Im suprised that 6.8k isnt working for you but you may need to try a few values.

So if you are not in dev mode, using a resistance in the range of 2k to 10k and see nothing then either your wiring needs double checked or perhaps the color codes of your temp sensors is not "standard". These sensors have had many color codes and are not always consistent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok dev mode adds in 3 "dummy sensors" as a testing mode. You dont want to be in dev mode.

If you have 2 6.8k resistors, placing them in parallel would be the same as having a 3.4k resistor which should be ok. Depending on wire length etc on the one wire bus the pullup resistor isnt etched in stone as to its value. 4.7k is a good starting point but some people have had to experiment. Just dont go lower than 2k. Im suprised that 6.8k isnt working for you but you may need to try a few values.

So if you are not in dev mode, using a resistance in the range of 2k to 10k and see nothing then either your wiring needs double checked or perhaps the color codes of your temp sensors is not "standard". These sensors have had many color codes and are not always consistent.
Exactly what @Bigtrout mentioned. Dont use dev_mode for actual builds, its for development in laptop, when no real pi is available. Hence test sensors are added.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, thanks for the link and info, that should get me going and that's what I was hoping to hear about calibration.

The other day I setup my pH circuit like Atlas, it works now with the Atlas sketches but I get a strconv.ParseFloat error on Reef-pi. I found the EZO driver and the read function but not sure where the parse happens so can't figure out what it expects.

strconv.ParseFloat {"error":"strconv.ParseFloat: parsing
\"7.26\\x00xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\": invalid syntax"} | HTTP 404

You can see the pH is there but something isn't right. This is what I'm sending to Reef-pi, any ideas what I'm missing?

computerdata[0] = '7';
computerdata[1] = '.';
computerdata[2] = '2';
computerdata[3] = '6';
Wire.write(1); // byte
Wire.print(computerdata); // char array
Wire.write(0); // byte
I'd suggest having code related discussion in slack or over Github issues. and leave this thread to the rest of the stuff :). For anything that will lead to reef-pi integration at code level, you will likely need lot more code discussion. Better to have to there with folks more aware of the software side. And because things move every release its whole lot easier to keep context for code related things there instead of this ginormous thread :)

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, ever since I upgraded from my s9+ (from s7edge), the reefpi page won't load on my phone. never really knew what it was. I tried running incognito, tried the firefox mobile app, tried the samsung internet app, tried clearing cache...nothing. Access from my s7edge still worked last time I tried, and access via chrome on my macbook is fine.

today I'm WFH (covid-19...company recommended WFH), and found on my work laptop (windows 10), chrome also loads an empty page. does this shed any light on the subject, @Ranjib ?

1583278133340.png

1583278164596.png

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing this post, I decided tp try and delete my test ATO. You are correct. It will not let me delete my test ATO. I can disable it but not delete it.

Hmm, interesting. Seems to be a bug introduced with the 3.2 release. @AbjectMaelstroM also reported the same issue on the 7th, but i couldn't find any responses addressing it.

@Ranjib , any ideas?

Is there a way to go manually via terminal and delete an ATO from reefpi? Trying to avoid resetting config.

I can't seem to be able to delete ATOs from the UI. I've tried untying them from any equipment and sensors and still won't delete.

Zaphod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately 9 wires are needed, 8 relays + one for a common GND. I considered only have 7 outlets switch but last minute changed to all 8, maybe 7 is better.

Maybe a Cat6e/a patch cord (8 wires and a shield). Or, Cat7 Patch cord. 6ft cords start at around $5 US With that said, The panel mount Cat6/7 RJ45's can get expensive unless you use Keystone types which require a standard Keystone panel mount.

Last edited:

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought a proto board on Amazon and it will arrive in the next days.
In the meanwhile I can’t see the temperature sensor in the temperature board.
What’s wrong???

47A60D43-B41C-4541-8347-99E9647E7A93.jpeg

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you enable 1 wire?

Try entering this in the command:
lsmod | grep -i w1_

Hard to tell in the picture but you should be hooked up to 3v3, ground and GPIO 4 with a 4.7k between power and pin 4.
1 wire is enabled... and there is a 4.7K 1/4w resistor that connects pin1 (3.3v) and pin4 (gpio2).

Ryan Turner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have bought a proto board on Amazon and it will arrive in the next days.
In the meanwhile I can’t see the temperature sensor in the temperature board.
What’s wrong???

47A60D43-B41C-4541-8347-99E9647E7A93.jpeg

where did you get your sensors? I bought some from amazon that said they were ds18b 1wire. They were not.... I bought the ones @Michael Lane suggested that looked identical to the ones I ordered and those worked. It took me a a week to figure that out.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing this post, I decided tp try and delete my test ATO. You are correct. It will not let me delete my test ATO. I can disable it but not delete it.
I'll check this tonight and get it fixed. I am aware of this, but was not able to pay attention due to other things...

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 wire communicates through gpio 4 not gpio 2. Sorry previous post was confusing. I never use physical pin references lol
Something to remember is that you can configure it to use other GPIO via dtoverlay (/boot/config.txt)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, interesting. Seems to be a bug introduced with the 3.2 release. @AbjectMaelstroM also reported the same issue on the 7th, but i couldn't find any responses addressing it.

@Ranjib , any ideas?
Its a bug for sure. Give me a day and i'll get this sorted.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have only gone through about 10 pages of the 700+ pages and I have to say I am amazed at the work and dedication put in. My only question is do you guys have a companion website for this thread? If not you need one. There is just to much data on this thread. People need a place where they can see just the info on what is the current state of the project in terms of hardware and software and what they need to buy and who sells what.

Great work people..

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have only gone through about 10 pages of the 700+ pages and I have to say I am amazed at the work and dedication put in. My only question is do you guys have a companion website for this thread? If not you need one. There is just to much data on this thread. People need a place where they can see just the info on what is the current state of the project in terms of hardware and software and what they need to buy and who sells what.

Great work people..

Thank you for the kind words, its means a lot to us.

The first post in this thread has links to the official website (http://reef-pi.com) and the guides at adafruit. They'll always be little out of date compared to this thread, as its constantly being updated with community discussion, various bug reports , ongoing development and often time random things :0-)

Let us know if we could improve the docs,

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back