reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you get your sensors? I bought some from amazon that said they were ds18b 1wire. They were not.... I bought the ones @Michael Lane suggested that looked identical to the ones I ordered and those worked. It took me a a week to figure that out.
I got them from Amazon (italy), but the pack arrived from germany.
3 metres (118.11 in).

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General wiring question and I googled for 10 minutes and could find a reasoning. I have a couple 5V relay boards and a handful of 1 ft extension cords that I was going to strip and wire in to the 5V relay for a small reef-pi build.
Knowing that Black is hot, is this the wire I use for the terminals similar to a two prong? I don't like dying and I just happened to have these materials on hand. I had the black wire stripped from a previous project so I assumed I did some amount of research on it but can't find my source on why you use the hot wire.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General wiring question and I googled for 10 minutes and could find a reasoning. I have a couple 5V relay boards and a handful of 1 ft extension cords that I was going to strip and wire in to the 5V relay for a small reef-pi build.
Knowing that Black is hot, is this the wire I use for the terminals similar to a two prong? I don't like dying and I just happened to have these materials on hand. I had the black wire stripped from a previous project so I assumed I did some amount of research on it but can't find my source on why you use the hot wire.
When you wire a 120v outlet thru the 5v relay, you always run the hot thru the relay. You never switch either the neutral(white) or ground(green).
There are safety reasons for this because both these wires are ground paths for the 120v.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a Cat6e/a patch cord (8 wires and a shield). Or, Cat7 Patch cord. 6ft cords start at around $5 US With that said, The panel mount Cat6/7 RJ45's can get expensive unless you use Keystone types which require a standard Keystone panel mount.

Thanks I thought about that too but parts were getting expensive. I have another idea that I'll probably drop on you guys a little later.

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you wire a 120v outlet thru the 5v relay, you always run the hot thru the relay. You never switch either the neutral(white) or ground(green).
There are safety reasons for this because both these wires are ground paths for the 120v.

Something to remember when wiring Alternating Current (AC) - 120V in the USA, 220V where I live. The positive and negative (Hot and Negative) switch polarity according to the Frequency (Hertz value). 60Hz here and (I think??) 50Hz in the USA. So actually, the positive and negative connections don't really matter as these are switching polarity between themselves 50 / 60 times a second.

HOWEVER, it is good practice to adhere to a convention so that anyone else that comes and works on your stuff can easily figure out how the circuits are made up.

The one NON-NEGOTIABLE is the Earth / Ground wire. The must only be joined to other Earths and to Earth points / connections

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I just published reef-pi 3.3. Its a small release with an important bugfix related to ATO deletion. Other than this bugfix, this release also brings in @Michael Lane 's work on improved driver configuration UI and associated validation. Thank you @Michael Lane for your continued help. This was Michael's first significant go code (if i recall correctly), so I am super pumped about that as well :). Please give it a try and let us know.

Release builds can be found in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.3

cheers

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next step I wish to test is to add multiple temperature sensors.
Can I add a second (and maybe a third) sensor sharing the same pins and the same resistor, or I have to use different pins and other resistors?

Zippyfear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,
I just published reef-pi 3.3. Its a small release with an important bugfix related to ATO deletion. Other than this bugfix, this release also brings in @Michael Lane 's work on improved driver configuration UI and associated validation. Thank you @Michael Lane for your continued help. This was Michael's first significant go code (if i recall correctly), so I am super pumped about that as well :). Please give it a try and let us know.

Release builds can be found in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.3

cheers

When is the graphing for pH probe going to display the high and low axis vs 0-12? Just curious

skywurz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive minds,

cheers

OMG!!! Thank You!!! i have been having a heck of a time with ATO and could not figure out why.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with 8.141458907043633 ?

wait.. now it's 8.141003371886666

I'd never have known it was decreasing.. it's hard to tell on the graph 0-12.. lol

Would like to see Atlas or PinPoint give that kind of precision lol.

I should have been more specific, it appears if you use ph-board driver you get trillionths but Atlas driver only hundreds. Would be nice to see an extra digit for that as it freezes on hundreds and you think it's not working or last digit is bouncing because it's rounding up/down every reading. Obviously not a big deal, only mentioned it because of your comment, if Ranjibs getting his hands dirty why not, either way I'm happy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back