reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any activity on the 1-wire pin?

Don't have an RPi4 to test anything on :)
you mean electrical stuff? i didn't put it under scope/logic analyzer, till now only checked dmesg .,, there's very little in there, with only one error message ""
RPi 3b - Reef-Pi 3.4 - latest and greatest kernel.

As we know - no issues with the connections screen. Previous temp sensor error has changed to:

Temperature sensor failure. Error:EOF

& I'm seeing this occassionally:
Current value of 'FragTemp' is below minimum threshold. Executing up routine
Is it working otherwise?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates on the pi 4 and new raspberry os testing:
After last two days of extensive testing, I was able to get temp sensor working. My initial issues were due to wiring/bad sensor (as usual). Heres my pi4 test setup running on raspberry os (upgraded) with working temperature sensor

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 9.54.04 AM.png

I did encounter issues with GPIO driver, which has been fixed in master now. So, even though temp sensor is working , please wait for 2.5 release if you want to upgrade raspberry pi os on rpi 4.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautifully so far - Got ATO up and going last night.

I have to say that so far I'm thrilled with the robo-tank hardware and your software combo - last GHL controller got listed for sale this morning.
That is very nice to hear :) , thank you. it was reef-pi's dream to be a humble little controller to make reef keeping easy, and automation affordable, while keeping the innovation possible through open philosophy. Feedbacks like this are our primary way to understand if we are able to achieve that goal

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very nice to hear :) , thank you. it was reef-pi's dream to be a humble little controller to make reef keeping easy, and automation affordable, while keeping the innovation possible through open philosophy. Feedbacks like this are our primary way to understand if we are able to achieve that goal
It makes planted tank keeping easy as well. Ph controller, heater controller(that caught a failed heater) and the ability to hack a 69 dollar beamswork and give it more functionality than a 180 dollar fluval 3.0 led light is just....AWESOME!

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the most common issue I see with wiring the DS18B20 to the Raspberry Pi - Using 5V for the pullup, but then connecting to an RPi Pin which is very much not 5V tolerant.

You can power the sensor at 5V, but the pull-up needs to be to 3.3V - the 1-wire bus is Open Collector and can only pull down the pin (it shouldn't ever get to 5V from this split power arrangement). There is usually no advantage to doing this though, except for the fact that many of the DS18B20 clones just don't work like the real Maxim part, so anything can happen.

Technically, the power pin is not at all required as 1-wire has a parasitic power mode, but this is very clearly documented as just not working on many of the clone chips you find in the cheap probe cables.

I agree, that's what I do, power the DS18B20 with 5v but use 3.3v on pullup. I don't like the idea of powering sensor with 3.3v as voltage drops are too great with long cables. I've never ran them on parasitic power, my gut thinks it's not as good though but could be wrong.

A resistor voltage divider with works well for sensor pins but thing I don't like about that is you can never use those pins for an extra 1wire bus as resistor blocks the DS18B20. For I2C I use the BSS138 to convert to 5v from Pi which seems to work well.

Beautifully so far - Got ATO up and going last night.

I have to say that so far I'm thrilled with the robo-tank hardware and your software combo - last GHL controller got listed for sale this morning.

Glad to hear you're happy, I think Ranjib has done an awesome job, hard to believe he's done all this with a family and life. :)

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Just had a major reef pi issue @Ranjib I have my doser working on my tank with 2 part. I just work up this moring and the doser #8 was stuck on and had drained more than half my calcium into the tank. I am not sure how to fix this from happening again but that is 100% unacceptable. I had to pull the power from reef pi and force a restart to clear the issue. I am currently doing water changes as I dont think a 600 ppm calcium is ok for my tank.
1598620185819.png
1598620232882.png

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Just had a major reef pi issue @Ranjib I have my doser working on my tank with 2 part. I just work up this moring and the doser #8 was stuck on and had drained more than half my calcium into the tank. I am not sure how to fix this from happening again but that is 100% unacceptable. I had to pull the power from reef pi and force a restart to clear the issue. I am currently doing water changes as I dont think a 600 ppm calcium is ok for my tank.
1598620185819.png
1598620232882.png

Is there a way to set it up so that if it runs for more than X seconds/minutes, stop it? (I don't use ReefPi for dosing, so I'm not aware of it's capabilities in that regard)

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
1598620185819.png
1598620232882.png
Thank you for reporting this and I am very sorry this happened with the build. You are absolutely right It’s not acceptable at all , and reef-pi Should do everything it can possibly do to avoid such incidents. Let me go through the details and I can then list down things we can improve on the software side , or on hardware configuration recommendations

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to set it up so that if it runs for more than X seconds/minutes, stop it? (I don't use ReefPi for dosing, so I'm not aware of it's capabilities in that regard)
This is not any sensor based that the pump can make the pump run arbitrarily, hence doser does not have ato like “disable after specific run time “ type feature .
i went through the code , but could not find anything suspicious. I’ll need some insights (logs , details of any other things happened during that time etc) to understand if I’m this is a software or hardware issue , and if it was happened during normal operation or something special was occurring (update or some other non reef-pi stuff )

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life has been very busy with all home schooling + work from home + new home induced chores . Tanks took a massive hit due to transfer and messed up maintenance schedule afterwards. I’m getting back to my regular cadence slowly , but have a long way to go to get restore the original state, including some significant upgrades in between
D1340FA4-7B6A-491E-8D68-867836CBEF0D.jpeg

In new home , the local climate is Much harsher than last place . In addition pico tanks are in workshop which is separate and does not have heating/cooling . Making the whole temperature control more challenging . I’ll be writing in detail how various mechanism working , but for the time being here is a happy sexy shrimp from one of the pico tank
0F1198FA-E8A3-4DF6-87E4-4C5BB70462E4.jpeg

Fairymary58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, is there any way to monitor salinity with the reef-pi? Does anyone know a probe that would work this it at all? I'm in Australia so will need to be available here or be able to be shipped. Hubby is a programmer so can help with getting it set up for me. I've been searching and can't find the information so I would be super grateful for any help.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

I've got this relay board that's been running on my pi for over a year, earlier I had powered down the pi (whilst trouble shooting something else, I also cut the power to everything else, it was just two simple fixes that took a few minutes to fix, anyway sorted the issues which were just the doser gpio wired not having good contact in the Wego connectors.

I powered up and now the relay board isn't switching on, there's 5v to the board and the grounds are tied.

Anything specific I can test or should look for?

IMG_20181220_112748.jpg
IMG_20200829_194605.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, is there any way to monitor salinity with the reef-pi? Does anyone know a probe that would work this it at all? I'm in Australia so will need to be available here or be able to be shipped. Hubby is a programmer so can help with getting it set up for me. I've been searching and can't find the information so I would be super grateful for any help.
Not yet. The Ezo ph driver That’s in reef -pi should work with atlas scientific salinity probe (EC) as well, but we have never tried it. Because of high cost, maintenance and Low importance (if ato is setup, salinity should not change ) I have never prioritized salinity measurement

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing a salinity probe might help with is a slow leak. I observed my salinity going down very slightly every day. Found that one of my unions needed to be tightened. The leak was slow enough that it was not noticeable but in a small system it was enough to have an impact. Or my testing sucked and it was a coincidence, either way I fixed it :)

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
1598620185819.png
1598620232882.png

I am also running this doser from reef pi. I have had a couple of failures (failed off for me). I tracked my issue to the uln2803 chip. please keep us informed of what you find.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my Deluxe Robo-Tank yesterday. What Ph probe should I pickup? Also anything else suggested?
I haven’t seen many negative ph probe posts. It seems they all work good. I have two Milwaukee probes. I have no complaints.
Milwaukee Instruments MA913B/3 pH Probe Double Junction with Kcl Gel Filled, Bnc

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also running this doser from reef pi. I have had a couple of failures (failed off for me). I tracked my issue to the uln2803 chip. please keep us informed of what you find.
I tested it and it ended up being the reef pi. I have the latest boards that I helped to revise with @Michael Lane and no shorting or issues occurred. The last board i did have the ULN fail however but all failed off. I know this was a reef pi issue beacuse as soon as i restarted reef pi it fixed the issue and the doser was off and everything has worked fine ever since.
1598746131047.png

rmilyard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen many negative ph probe posts. It seems they all work good. I have two Milwaukee probes. I have no complaints.
Milwaukee Instruments MA913B/3 pH Probe Double Junction with Kcl Gel Filled, Bnc

This is one I ordered from Amazon.

Back