reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you verify those are the values the probe is generating? In my case I think reef-pi is messing with the generated values. At least, the ones that get logged to the dashboard and the prometheus metrics feed
I don't know how to differntiate i tested with standard solution of both 7 and 10 and the readings on reef pi were accurate then when I return to tank it reads 7.6 to 7.7 and as I said I tested tanks water with 2 different test kits and both read around 8, so I think those are the values generated by the prob and not related to reef pi

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know how to differntiate i tested with standard solution of both 7 and 10 and the readings on reef pi were accurate then when I return to tank it reads 7.6 to 7.7 and as I said I tested tanks water with 2 different test kits and both read around 8, so I think those are the values generated by the prob and not related to reef pi

If your probe is reading test solution accurately, I would say that your tank is closer to 7.7 than it is to 8.

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im waiting for my Robotank board to come, but curious about using it with my Icecap gyre controller that needs 0-10V input. Ive already figured out i can make a cable like this to get the 2 0-10V signals to my icecap controller.

But being a reefpi newbie im not 100% sure about this description and how you do it in ReefPi
This cable allows you to run your Maxspect Gyre in both forward and reverse direction by using one full Variable Speed port on your Apex to connect two 0-10v signals to a single IceCap Gyre Interface Module.

On your APEX, you will need to set up two Variable Speed outlets to control a single Gyre pump. The first variable speed outlet will control the speed of the pump. You can set speeds ranging from 20% to 100%. The second variable speed outlet will control the direction of the pump. Set it to 0% and the pump will rotate in a forward direction. Set it to 100% and the pump will rotate in a reverse direction.

Note: Requires a full Variable Speed port on your APEX Controller

Not having anything plugged in, i assume i use the light controls and i can do something like this to be able to control both the speed and rotation? I dont quite understand how it works electronically, if its only a 0-10V input, how are there two controls(speed + direction) being applied from the Apex? Polarity? I'm hoping i can control both speed + direction, but if i can only apply speed i'd still be happy.

Also looking at that cable trying to zoom in on the picture it appears there's 4 pins on the cat5 end connected? Voltages + 2 grounds? I cant really tell though from the image. If it is 4, both grounds would just go to the same sleeve on the jack so seems redundant? Not sure if any of you have one of these types of cables or more details, i assume i just need to wire the 0-10V to the tip and ring, and the sleeve to gnd like this

trs-wire-connections.jpg

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its only a 0-10V input, how are there two controls(speed + direction) being applied from the Apex? Polarity? I'm hoping i can control both speed + direction, but if i can only apply speed i'd still be happy.
It's not only a 0-10V signal, it's two 0-10V signals on one of those apex ports. So one for speed, one for direction, though my guess is that you don't really need 0-10V for direction, only 0V or 10V. But with the robotank you are spoiled with so many signal outputs anyway, that you should have 2 free 0-10V channels. One channel at the tip, one at the ring, ground at the sleeve. But definitely don't wire tip and ring together, without knowing the innards of that pump controller, it's a possibility that that could fry it or damage the pump somehow.

Last edited:

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i need to ask on the Coralvue page i think to understand what the inputs are.
There is only 1 physical port to plug into, but in the software there is Input_1 and Input_2. My assumption was that there were 2 0-10V coming in, on the tip and ring, one for Input_1 and one for Input_2.

I found video showing the cat5 connection end, and there is definately 4 pins connected, i assume the 2 black are going to the same ground (sleeve) and the red to either tip or ring. Maybe its just cheaper for them to do that to use the same cat5 end setup for single or Y split cables.

I'm a bit more lost than i was before, i need to figure out if the 2 0-10V inputs can independently control each pump, or if i can only communicate with both pumps at once, which is what im trying to get past. For whatever reason their stupid controller software only allows you to set settings per controller, not per pump. So i cant have 1 pump at 50% reverse and 1 pump at 100% forward. Only both at 50% reverse, or both at 100% forward. Needless to say its very annoying and limiting to what patterns you can create with 2 gyre pumps.

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also run into this a few times, at random I think. What worked for me is a reboot / wait a bit / reload in config panel. It seems to retry on it's own if it doesn't connect right away, I wonder if it's overloading the MQTT server or something?
thanks I will try this. Since the message said that MQTT was not loaded that would indicate that it will not retry. I least that was my thinking

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

marekd1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I will try this. Since the message said that MQTT was not loaded that would indicate that it will not retry. I least that was my thinking
Still no luck on the MQTT. Tried any possible combination and the MQTT fails to initialize. At this point I think there has to be something in the code as all my other MQTT devices are talking without any issues.

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Michael Lane

using the Jebao slave dosed. Not sure on how to wire the board.
12v for power
cat6 to the jebao
Where are the other 5 pins wires to? All other connection have 4 pins on the hat.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Michael Lane

using the Jebao slave dosed. Not sure on how to wire the board.
12v for power
cat6 to the jebao
Where are the other 5 pins wires to? All other connection have 4 pins on the hat.
Do you have Michael lanes dosing board?

C4E97E8C-0941-451F-8BDB-96D480CDD95F.png

pump 5-8 are pwm signals.

FuzzeWuzze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i learned from CoralVue that my gyre pumps cant be controlled by an Apex(or other controllers) other than to set a trigger(for like water changes, etc). Quite disappointing but whatever.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i learned from CoralVue that my gyre pumps cant be controlled by an Apex(or other controllers) other than to set a trigger(for like water changes, etc). Quite disappointing but whatever.

What about with one of these? This is from CoralVue.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about with one of these? This is from CoralVue.

I started to read about it and got confused about what @FuzzeWuzze meant too.

Icecap makes the Icecap Gyre Interface Module. They make the dual pump wifi controller. And then they make the Icecap Gyres. but their own interface module is only for the MaxSpect Gyres (not from Icecap) and doesn't work with their own product. Weird marketing decision. And i got confused which combination of those we are talking about, but seems to me now like the icecap dual wifi thing with gyre pumps from icecap, not from maxspect?

Edit: now i'm even more confused, the coralvue page says that the interface can control the icecap gyres, but their customer service says it is impossible?

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. This is the board I have.
Hate to be stupid here. The “dose” connector on the hat has 4 pins (4,5,6 and ground) where does the fifth wire come from?
Below is an excerpt form a conversation I had with Michael Lane about using the doser adaptor board and how he advises setting it up for the fourth channel

The dosing adapter works using the PWM signal from the PCA9685. Electrically, it would work fine with a gpio from Power1, but it would not show up as a doser jack, and would only be fully on or off. Any of the Light ports can be used to control the 4th channel and work fully as a doser in reef-pi.

Although the Doser port only has 3 outputs, you can still use a DP4S by connecting the 4th input to one of the light outputs. I usually recommend using Light 3.

In this case, the white wire is connected to PWM ~7 on Light 3.
1583073650968.png

zab34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is an excerpt form a conversation I had with Michael Lane about using the doser adaptor board and how he advises setting it up for the fourth channel

The dosing adapter works using the PWM signal from the PCA9685. Electrically, it would work fine with a gpio from Power1, but it would not show up as a doser jack, and would only be fully on or off. Any of the Light ports can be used to control the 4th channel and work fully as a doser in reef-pi.

Although the Doser port only has 3 outputs, you can still use a DP4S by connecting the 4th input to one of the light outputs. I usually recommend using Light 3.

In this case, the white wire is connected to PWM ~7 on Light 3.
1583073650968.png
Much appreciated. That make perfect sense.

Back