reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I'm having a simple problem, I can't get this test macro to run
when i press run it stays in blue frame (pic 2), and as you see in pic 3 the doser 1 is still off
is there anything that I'm missing
if i try similar macro with equipment it works fine

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the doser pump on in equipment? You need two affiliations for each pump head for it to work, one in outlets and the other in jacks. Please see the attached screenshots. The one that you set in outlets should be permanently on, the other in jacks is set by the timer under the doser tab.
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-52-29-826_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-52-46-912_com.android.chrome.jpg

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next three images should help also.
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-58-16-427_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-58-24-272_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-57-46-953_com.android.chrome.jpg

Mine are switched off right now as my return pump has conked off

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need some help with the HS300 stability. I can't get it to connect after a reboot without reloading reef-pi.

The after/ wants suggestion wasn't working, so I also added a delay to the service to sleep until we get a ping from the HS300. That didn't fix it either. My reef-pi.service file is below, do you see anything wrong?

Something else of note, I can't figure out why I am getting two mac addresses from the pi4 and it seems to be a toss-up on which one gets called after a reboot. From what I read, pi's have different mac addresses for the ethernet and wifi connections, but I have never even plugged the ethernet in. Thoughts?

[Unit]
Description=raspberry pi based reef tank controller
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Service]
ExecStartExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c 'until ping -c1 192.168.1.3; do sleep 1; done;'
ExecStart=/usr/bin/reef-pi daemon -config /etc/reef-pi/config.yaml
WorkingDirectory=/var/lib/reef-pi
Restart=always
RestartSec=90
StartLimitInterval=400
StartLimitBurst=10

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your unit file looks ok. The dual WiFi MAC address for same pi is concern. Are you changing hostname? Is it possible you have two pi with same name ?
Thanks for checking the file.
Hmm I did change the host name per the setup docs but I only own this one pi.

Maybe I need to re-flash the drive or try spoofing the MAC so it’s always the same

Alaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The next three images should help also.
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-58-16-427_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-58-24-272_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-01-06-00-57-46-953_com.android.chrome.jpg

Mine are switched off right now as my return pump has conked off
Thanks for your reply
I have the doser only in Jacks and non in outlets
It is working fine, however i wanted to turn the channel off for extra security while not in use and then turn it on just before the next dose time using macros and times
There is a doser option in the Macros so i though it would work but it seems that i need to add it to outlet for that to work
regard

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply
I have the doser only in Jacks and non in outlets
It is working fine, however i wanted to turn the channel off for extra security while not in use and then turn it on just before the next dose time using macros and times
There is a doser option in the Macros so i though it would work but it seems that i need to add it to outlet for that to work
regard

I'm not following you completely, but in almost two years I can safely state that reef-pi dosing has behaved impeccably, any issues have been user error! (It wasn't me)

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone messed around with ngrok or thought about making a reefpi plugin for it? I was setting up my octopi and ran across an article for accessing it from outside the network. Rather than forwarding ports ngrok establishes a secure tunnel. A single session account is free and you don’t have to forward any ports in your router. You access it from their cloud account. It was easy to setup in octopi because it has a plug-in.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone messed around with ngrok or thought about making a reefpi plugin for it? I was setting up my octopi and ran across an article for accessing it from outside the network. Rather than forwarding ports ngrok establishes a secure tunnel. A single session account is free and you don’t have to forward any ports in your router. You access it from their cloud account. It was easy to setup in octopi because it has a plug-in.

ngrok works great. I'm not familiar with octopi though?

Personally, I use wireguard tunnels to bridge networks together, but it still takes a bit of network planning to get that setup.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ngrok, port forwarding, vpn all works. they all have their pros and cons. you should be able to use whatever you are comfortable with. Port forwarding is easiest for me as I do it within google wifi app , on demand, so just enable it when needed , used the app and then disable it back again.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ngrok works great. I'm not familiar with octopi though?

Personally, I use wireguard tunnels to bridge networks together, but it still takes a bit of network planning to get that setup.
Octopi is raspbian OS derivative with baked in octoprint (3d printer web UI). I prefer to use octoprint straing on whatever the current raspbian/raspberry os is.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use ngrok out of band (i.e you have to set it up by yourself) with reef-pi but nothing I am aware of that makes it work straight from reef-pi. reef-pi is way smaller in terms of features compared to octopi. Gina (octopi author) is a gifted programmer who dedicated his full-time work on octoprint. Its an amazing piece of software and one of the inspirations for reef-pi. reef-pi does not have the plugin like design that octopirnt has. One day..... :)

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Octopi is raspbian OS derivative with baked in octoprint (3d printer web UI). I prefer to use octoprint straing on whatever the current raspbian/raspberry os is.

I was confused what pritning had to do with anything when googling - makes sense :)

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the confusion. I will have to play with it some more. I was having issues installing it on my reefpi. I discovered ngrok while I was installing octopi for my printer.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the confusion. I will have to play with it some more. I was having issues installing it on my reefpi. I discovered ngrok while I was installing octopi for my printer.

No harm, sounds like a good baseline Raspbian install. Also, totally in favor of using ngrok, and its a very good callout :)

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef-Pi folks,
I am running Reef-Pi 4.0 on a Robo-tank board and I am having trouble with my temp sensors. I have 5V at the 5V pin, and 3.25V at the Data pin on all temp sensors, but when I connect a sensor it is not detected? When I go to the temperature page and try to add a new temp sensor nothing is available under sensors. I have tried 3 different kinds of sensors, all of which I have seen work on other setups. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef-Pi folks,
I am running Reef-Pi 4.0 on a Robo-tank board and I am having trouble with my temp sensors. I have 5V at the 5V pin, and 3.25V at the Data pin on all temp sensors, but when I connect a sensor it is not detected? When I go to the temperature page and try to add a new temp sensor nothing is available under sensors. I have tried 3 different kinds of sensors, all of which I have seen work on other setups. Any suggestions?

Thanks
I haven't gotten to this part yet, but my understanding is for the temp sensors, there is ground, power (3 or 5 volt), and a data gpio. 2 power cables would have no data pin to send the temp to.

drm2215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't gotten to this part yet, but my understanding is for the temp sensors, there is ground, power (3 or 5 volt), and a data gpio. 2 power cables would have no data pin to send the temp to.
Sorry if I was unclear. I have a three wire sensor, with ground , 5V, and data. And when I put a meter on my board pins, I Have 5V on the 5V pin, 3.25V on the data pin (expected as I understand it) and then the ground pin. I use this to verify that my soldering is good and that the board is operating correctly. I am trying to get it to recognize a sensor but nothing is showing up?

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I was unclear. I have a three wire sensor, with ground , 5V, and data. And when I put a meter on my board pins, I Have 5V on the 5V pin, 3.25V on the data pin (expected as I understand it) and then the ground pin. I use this to verify that my soldering is good and that the board is operating correctly. I am trying to get it to recognize a sensor but nothing is showing up?
If you swap the 3v to gpio 17 or any of the gpio pins per the mapping below, it should work. The open gpio pins (non power/ground) are for sending data.
GPIO-Pinout-Diagram-2.png

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back