reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

larrybari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to Jest but this error message sort of makes it sound like your ATO bucket is empty. lol Anyways hopefully figure it out.
Haha! I didn't catch the irony of that error message earlier! Nonetheless, I still have not figured this out, which means my graphs can't be reset and I can't really tell the regularity and the length of time the pump is running at a glance...
I was thinking that perhaps there is a way of resetting the logs for the ato other than the button in the ato settings...

tyronbes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tremendously helpful. Thanks!
Man!! I'm so dismayed. I was going through the manual, put all my credentials in, hit update. Then reboot and my pi froze, turned off and never turned back on. I just have the red power led come in. Nothing with the activity light. I tried 3 different ad cards, different power cords. I read about the polyfuse, so I'll let it sit for a few days, but man that sucked!

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eheim went for a swim recently so I popped it open after doing a full wash and dry cycle. Still works.
You’ll want to signal the K1 or K2 buttons, in the picture orientation left to right. The edge of the board is battery ground and the inner button contact should be brought to ground to activate.

18916710-6FCD-4520-A398-46CCC4249A74.jpeg
Is there any chance you could elaborate on how you are pulling the switch to ground? I have a different feeder I want to use but I need to figure out how to bypass the manual feed button by pulling it to ground via reef-pi.

Thanks in advance......

tyronbes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome ! Those relay boards can be a little tricky, you need to supply them their VCC (for me 5V), GND and the 8 signal pins. The relay actually activates when the Input Pin is connected to GND and can sink around 5mA.That’s why you should use a transistor, be it a n-MOSFET or npn transistor. You actually don’t even need the pull-up resistors I have used there, since the signal is a current, not a voltage.
Thank you, I'll definitely take a look at getting a transistor, unfortunately my pi went down after trying to reboot. I cant get any activity out of it and I've tried 3 different sd cards, all of which I know to work. Kinda at a loss on what happened to it

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! @Ranjib I'm having trouble reading a SHT31D sensor.
I2C bus works fine because I can send comand to PCA9685 without problem. I've tested SHT31D sensors some days ago with great success and now I have these errors:

free image upload

What can it be? Thank you!

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some more test; the problem seems to be the cable (even if during my test on breadboard with double lenght cable everything works fine) I'm now using PCA9507 to expand my I2C line, what IC can I use to improve the cable run?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFCEBB32-6B15-4532-A37B-2F77ADF31C47.jpeg

I noticed these Neptune liquid level sensors have a familiar connector. How difficult would they be to add to reef-pi ATO?

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some more test; the problem seems to be the cable (even if during my test on breadboard with double lenght cable everything works fine) I'm now using PCA9507 to expand my I2C line, what IC can I use to improve the cable run?
Nice IC, if I had known the PCA9507 before I would have used it instead of my current solution.

I'm using an Adafruit ISO1540 to isolate my Pi's 3.3V against the I2C's 5V. Currently that's slightly stupid, because both are fed by the same 5V DC/DC converter :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Afterwards I hook up my SDA/SCL lines to a USB socket and latch an Adafruit LTC4311 I2C extender onto it. It basically does what your PCA9507 does a swell, it is a dynamic pull-up which shorts the lines to VCC, exactly what the PCA9507 has on the A-side. Everything is connected using header pins and header cables, as you can see in my build thread.

So the PCA9507 should be fine, if you have a good connection and cables. Personally I'm using shielded USB-A cables. Not the cheapest option, but it seems to work. I can get a seemingly stable I2C connection to my SCD30 over 1m distance.

I would suggest to check shielded cables, like a Ethernet cable and to try placing the PCA9507's A-side onto the side of the cable leading to the sensor.

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice IC, if I had known the PCA9507 before I would have used it instead of my current solution.

I'm using an Adafruit ISO1540 to isolate my Pi's 3.3V against the I2C's 5V. Currently that's slightly stupid, because both are fed by the same 5V DC/DC converter :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Afterwards I hook up my SDA/SCL lines to a USB socket and latch an Adafruit LTC4311 I2C extender onto it. It basically does what your PCA9507 does a swell, it is a dynamic pull-up which shorts the lines to VCC, exactly what the PCA9507 has on the A-side. Everything is connected using header pins and header cables, as you can see in my build thread.

So the PCA9507 should be fine, if you have a good connection and cables. Personally I'm using shielded USB-A cables. Not the cheapest option, but it seems to work. I can get a seemingly stable I2C connection to my SCD30 over 1m distance.

I would suggest to check shielded cables, like a Ethernet cable and to try placing the PCA9507's A-side onto the side of the cable leading to the sensor.
Thank you for your answer, I'll try LTC4311 and shielded cable :)

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance you could elaborate on how you are pulling the switch to ground? I have a different feeder I want to use but I need to figure out how to bypass the manual feed button by pulling it to ground via reef-pi.

Thanks in advance......
Maybe start a new thread and if possible post some pictures of the internals and we can maybe point out some things to test it. I can explain how to pull it to ground but we need to figure out how the feeder works and where you would make the connections.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I noticed these Neptune liquid level sensors have a familiar connector. How difficult would they be to add to reef-pi ATO?
Wow I can't believe that's priced how it should be. Based on the ruler my guess is it's analog, unfortunately the Pi doesn't have any analog pins so if you wanted to know the actual water level you would need to add a ADS1015 ADC to your system, reef-pi has a driver for it. Of course you would need to figure out the wiring, if someone hasn't done it before on a forum it could be difficult getting it right. If you were successful you would get an analog value from the ADS1015 which you would use as a reference. If it is analog you could still connect it to a digital pin on the Pi and it would either read on or off but anyone's guess as to where that might be on the ruler.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As @robsworld78 mentioned it’s not straight forward if you don’t know the internals. E.G. what contact is ground, VCC and data lines. Next, what kind of data is used, e.g. is it a digital interface like I2C or SPI, is it semi-digital giving a PWM signal or an analog voltage.

Both PWM and analog are easy to read into reef-Pi, e.g. using the ADC circuit (ADS1015) that rob mentioned. If it’s digital it’s a lot more difficult if you don’t know the protocol.

that’s also what I’m worried about, since the Connector has 4 contacts … typically you would only need 3 (VCC, signal and GND) for either PWM or analog signal. 4 contacts looks more like a digital interface like I2C.

depending on the price you could simply buy and open it up to see if the connections on the cable give you some info.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note. I have fully 3d printed a rollermat that is now controlled by Pi.

right now I’d like setup it up a timer to activate the motor until I get the float switch fully dialed into position.
This is awesome . You plan to opensource the design ? I’d love to build one

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can't believe that's priced how it should be. Based on the ruler my guess is it's analog, unfortunately the Pi doesn't have any analog pins so if you wanted to know the actual water level you would need to add a ADS1015 ADC to your system, reef-pi has a driver for it. Of course you would need to figure out the wiring, if someone hasn't done it before on a forum it could be difficult getting it right. If you were successful you would get an analog value from the ADS1015 which you would use as a reference. If it is analog you could still connect it to a digital pin on the Pi and it would either read on or off but anyone's guess as to where that might be on the ruler.

We should be able to integrate these things using the Esp32 driver right ?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chances are you can hook them up with Esp32 and use ph module (analog input ) for monitoring and control

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I can't believe that's priced how it should be

I was surprised too!

Based on the ruler my guess is it's analog, unfortunately the Pi doesn't have any analog pins so if you wanted to know the actual water level you would need to add a ADS1015 ADC to your system, reef-pi has a driver for it.
Yeah I was thinking analog... one of the things I noticed was when users pair to Apex they have to specify the size of the LLS they are adding, I feel like if it were I2C, etc, the size would be built in and it would just send across the measured depth - I also feel like the top would be a little bulkier since I assume it would need to have a circuit built in.

that’s also what I’m worried about, since the Connector has 4 contacts
I'm concerned about that too - I guess it's possible there's contacts to maintain compatibility with other Apex Fluid Monitoring Module devices.

We should be able to integrate these things using the Esp32 driver right ?
Awesome. I think I'll buy one to see if I can figure out what's going across the jack. Hopefully buzzing it out with a multimeter is adequate to get started.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @robsworld78 mentioned it’s not straight forward if you don’t know the internals. E.G. what contact is ground, VCC and data lines. Next, what kind of data is used, e.g. is it a digital interface like I2C or SPI, is it semi-digital giving a PWM signal or an analog voltage.

Both PWM and analog are easy to read into reef-Pi, e.g. using the ADC circuit (ADS1015) that rob mentioned. If it’s digital it’s a lot more difficult if you don’t know the protocol.

that’s also what I’m worried about, since the Connector has 4 contacts … typically you would only need 3 (VCC, signal and GND) for either PWM or analog signal. 4 contacts looks more like a digital interface like I2C.

depending on the price you could simply buy and open it up to see if the connections on the cable give you some info.
It's highly unlikely it would be I2C or SPI, neither of those would ever be used like that in a true commercial product. I think Apex uses CAN bus for all their extensions but it's unlikely the sensor would be that especially based on the price of this sensor.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
i have cut the next major release of reef-pi. Here is the announement post:

key highlight is the esp32 integration. I intend to work on guides as r2r post under reef-pi sub forum. ESP32 integration is on the list , but feel free to share anything that can be of use. I plan to consolidate the adafruit guides along with all the new things that happened since then, but keep the same module specific formats.

happy thanks giving
ranjib

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my main display tank. It’s been running for little more than a year now. Entirely on reef-pi, all equipment control, temperature , ato controller , ph monitor . Pump and light is controlled by manufacturer controller.
41E12145-026F-45A9-8C0A-B455EFD152C4.jpeg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back