reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the web browser. Clearing cache and local storage in the browser for the reef-pi website may solve it.
I think I had suggested these. Like hard refresh or access reef-pi ui from incognito mode

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Ranjib am not computer guru so no idea what is incognito mode.Did some hard cleaning with the browser,i lost every good saved things,forget every PW,when i go to website asking for credentials,i was there 100 times.Not solved anything.
Now just for try installed the beta-7 and working right from the start,no problem.That is why i think something with the RC0. Please do not take me wrong,this is not complaining just try to understand more from my site.And always appreciate the work what your guys doing.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Ranjib am not computer guru so no idea what is incognito mode.Did some hard cleaning with the browser,i lost every good saved things,forget every PW,when i go to website asking for credentials,i was there 100 times.Not solved anything.
Now just for try installed the beta-7 and working right from the start,no problem.That is why i think something with the RC0. Please do not take me wrong,this is not complaining just try to understand more from my site.And always appreciate the work what your guys doing.
Sorry for your trouble @janos . Stuck with beta-7 if it’s working for you . We appreciate you taking the time to troubleshoot and try. I’ll definitely do a clean installation and check if I can reproduce this.

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody knows which address the PCA9685 module is using with Reef-PI (0x40?). Can it be changed somewhere?

my Reef-PI doesn't start anymore with the Reef-PI_PWM module attached with a failure in syslog:
Sep 22 12:15:01 Reef-Pi reef-pi[818]: 2018/09/22 12:15:01 ERROR: Invalid RPI PWM frequency: 0 falling back on default 100Hz
Sep 22 12:15:01 Reef-Pi reef-pi[818]: 2018/09/22 12:15:01 ERROR: Failed to initialize pca9685 driver
Sep 22 12:15:01 Reef-Pi reef-pi[818]: 2018/09/22 12:15:01 ERROR: Failed to initialize controller. Error:remote I/O error

With this error I can't get into the user interface.

i2cdetect recognizes my PCA9685 chip on my Reef-PI_PWM module at address 0x70, so it looks like an address failure. I can change the address on my Reef-PI_PWM module but it would be good to be sure about the required address :D Couldn't find it in any documentation from Reef-PI. Maybe somebody can run "i2cdetect -y 1" on their Reef-PI with the PCA9865 module attached (may require "sudo apt install python-smbus" this will then automatically install i2cdetect)

On my Reef-PI it shows following:
pi@Reef-Pi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: 70 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

So the chip is working :)

sector9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody knows which address the PCA9685 module is using with Reef-PI (0x40?). Can it be changed somewhere?

my Reef-PI doesn't start anymore with the Reef-PI_PWM module attached with a failure in syslog:
Sep 22 12:15:01 Reef-Pi reef-pi[818]: 2018/09/22 12:15:01 ERROR: Invalid RPI PWM frequency: 0 falling back on default 100Hz
Sep 22 12:15:01 Reef-Pi reef-pi[818]: 2018/09/22 12:15:01 ERROR: Failed to initialize pca9685 driver
Sep 22 12:15:01 Reef-Pi reef-pi[818]: 2018/09/22 12:15:01 ERROR: Failed to initialize controller. Error:remote I/O error

With this error I can't get into the user interface.

i2cdetect recognizes my PCA9685 chip on my Reef-PI_PWM module at address 0x70, so it looks like an address failure. I can change the address on my Reef-PI_PWM module but it would be good to be sure about the required address :D Couldn't find it in any documentation from Reef-PI. Maybe somebody can run "i2cdetect -y 1" on their Reef-PI with the PCA9865 module attached (may require "sudo apt install python-smbus" this will then automatically install i2cdetect)

On my Reef-PI it shows following:
pi@Reef-Pi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

So the chip is working :)
Hi wykat, did you change the jumpers on your PCA9685 chip? The default for the chip is 0x40 unless you changed the jumpers on your chip

Here's my output

pi@reefpi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
40: 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

It does look like reef-pi is set up to default to the 0x40 address for this chip as I found the following in the file "controller/utils/pwm_pca9685.go":

Address int `json:"address"` // 0x40
DevMode bool `json:"dev_mode"`
Frequency int `json:"frequency"`
}
type PCA9685Config struct {

Address: 0x40,
Frequency: 1500,
}
var DefaultPCA9685Config = PCA9685Config{

Of course Ranjib will be able to answer this question better than I :)

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi wykat, did you change the jumpers on your PCA9685 chip? The default for the chip is 0x40 unless you changed the jumpers on your chip

Here's my output

pi@reefpi:~ $ i2cdetect -y 1
40: 40 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

It does look like reef-pi is set up to default to the 0x40 address for this chip as I found the following in the file "controller/utils/pwm_pca9685.go":

Address int `json:"address"` // 0x40
DevMode bool `json:"dev_mode"`
Frequency int `json:"frequency"`
}
type PCA9685Config struct {

Address: 0x40,
Frequency: 1500,
}
var DefaultPCA9685Config = PCA9685Config{

Of course Ranjib will be able to answer this question better than I :)
Hi Thanks for the info.
I'm not using the standard PCA9685 module but only the chip on the Reef-PI_PWM, but I can change the address on my PCBA as well :)
Will try to change my hardware configuration then.

Seems I have to change my address control on the Reef-PI_PWM from default 5V to default 0V. It's a minor modification but then it will work in it's default state.

If the PCA9685 address is hard coded, that also means only 1 module can be used?

Last edited:

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Thanks for the info.
I'm not using the standard PCA9685 module but only the chip on the Reef-PI_PWM, but I can change the address on my PCBA as well :)
Will try to change my hardware configuration then.

If the PCA9685 address is hard coded, that also means only 1 module can be used?
Yes on 0x40 Reef-PI UI works again :), now I can continue testing

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on 0x40 Reef-PI UI works again :), now I can continue testing
I could not answer any better than @sector9 :) . Thank you @sector9 .
reef-pi currently supports only a single pca9685 ic and assumes default address of 0x40. We can change both of this if we have a valid use case

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjiib and the other guru's here. It seems that if something can go wrong woth me, it will. I'm having a strange problem with my ATO system. I convinced myself it was my optical sensor, and replaced it with that one I posted about last week

https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/Non-contact_Liquid_Level_Sensor_XKC-Y25-T12V_SKU:_SEN0204

The same problem persists. Heres what it does in a nutshell
  • I set up the ATO like I've done plenty of times before and all goes well.
  • After a few seconds, the relay controlling the ATO Pump clicks on
  • I can manipulate the sensor into off and on positions ( it has a LED indicator), but it makes no difference, the ATO Pump stays on.
  • If I try to turn the ATO Pump off manually under the Equipment Tab, I can't.
  • If I go and edit the ATO setup and disable the ATO Pump control, I can manually start and stop the ATO Pump from the Equipment Tab.
  • I can create Macro's that turn the ATO Pump on and off for specific amounts of time as a manual solution ands they work fine.
Not sure what's going on here.

Des

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranjiib and the other guru's here. It seems that if something can go wrong woth me, it will. I'm having a strange problem with my ATO system. I convinced myself it was my optical sensor, and replaced it with that one I posted about last week

https://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/Non-contact_Liquid_Level_Sensor_XKC-Y25-T12V_SKU:_SEN0204

The same problem persists. Heres what it does in a nutshell
  • I set up the ATO like I've done plenty of times before and all goes well.
  • After a few seconds, the relay controlling the ATO Pump clicks on
  • I can manipulate the sensor into off and on positions ( it has a LED indicator), but it makes no difference, the ATO Pump stays on.
  • If I try to turn the ATO Pump off manually under the Equipment Tab, I can't.
  • If I go and edit the ATO setup and disable the ATO Pump control, I can manually start and stop the ATO Pump from the Equipment Tab.
  • I can create Macro's that turn the ATO Pump on and off for specific amounts of time as a manual solution ands they work fine.
Not sure what's going on here.

Des
Hmm.. whats the ato check period? Can you reduce it to say.. 2 seconds and see if that changes anything? There will be delays of 2s from the time ato sensor detects water level is changed and the pump triggers. Can you share your ATO configuration screen shot?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go. I'm testing on 2 sec now.

2018-09-22.png

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 seconnds does exactly the same
So, if I understand correctly your ato pump does not turn off even after 2s of water reached to expected level? I’ll try to reproduce this, I am running rc0 without any issue for couple of days now

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally finished setting up reef-pi, I an running a MH/T5 light setup, so I didn't have a need for pwm at the moment but I am running the lights on times built into reef-pi. I have currently 13 outlets controlled with the ability to run 16 if i can think of 3 more things to setup. I currently have 3 MH's, T5s, 2 heaters, return pump, skimmer, fuge light, fan, ato pump and 2 pumps for a wave maker. I think I may have found a bug or two.
1. In the macro, if I try to have a piece of equipment wait the default is set to 10 seconds, if you delete the time the system enters NaN, this cannot be changed to a new number. The only way to get past I found was to then delete the wait line and re add it and edit the time (ie change 1 to 6 and leave 0) to get 60 seconds.
2. After I added 8 equipments the next one would just duplicate the previous one. I would have to then edit the item and change the name and connector to the correct item and instance I wanted. (If the last thing I added was T5 lights, when I went in to add ato, after I hit save it would change to T5, so there would be a duplicate. I would edit one to change it to ato and it would then save correctly.) This seemed to happened on all after the 8th one. I am running alpha-0.
Here are a few pictures, the only making thing left is to finish securing the relay boards down.
6b5c7a6373b25b025757c438d1389f3d.jpg
63cb1f8dae8d1ec482468b8154d615c0.jpg
f194c2e291ad3c2b103000d356ded825.jpg
@noob again What is the power strip you are using?

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if I understand correctly your ato pump does not turn off even after 2s of water reached to expected level? I’ll try to reproduce this, I am running rc0 without any issue for couple of days now
Correct. It used to work perfectly, then this problem just started.

Not unlike the "ghost input" issue. IE started for no apparent reason.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed another thing.

I can't get the interface on the Temperature module to save to Celcius. It keeps reverting to Farenheit every time I save.
@Des Westcott I've confirmed the bug with saving Celsius and have opened an issue. It is actually saving the celsius selection, but the UI is showing incorrectly. This is also occurring for the Sensor Status field. I'm working on a fix for this issue today.
Thanks for letting us know about the bug.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. It used to work perfectly, then this problem just started.

Not unlike the "ghost input" issue. IE started for no apparent reason.
Have you read on this programming on a different Outlet? Do you think the problem could be a relay sticking? What sort of relays are you using? What type of pump are you using?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back