reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.. I wanted to start with saying amazing job on Reef-Pi. I dont have mine up and running the tank yet but it should be soon. I also have a few questions I'm going to have 3 temp probes do I just select any pin I'm not using for my other two probes or are there certain pins I need to use? Also hows the PH probe going? I have not seen anything on how to hook it up. Sorry when it comes to the programming side of things I'm not very savvy. So understanding how the tech end of things work I'm lost, and trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you.
Attached a pic of my Reef-pi in progress.

15413747476911403662236170194338.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Diamond1 - why didn't you post this on your own build thread? Is it because it might be a common problem?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue with setting up my optical sensor. I set it up on the inlet tab, I'm able to set the sensor up in the ATO section, assign it to an outlet and save the setting for it. Then regardless of the sensor being in or out of water it turns the outlet on and wont shut off even after the sensor is re submerged in water.

I ran: cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio17/value and it says 0 even when the equipment tab shows the #2 outlet to be on. I also get an error message {"error":"stats for id: '2' not found"} | HTTP 404

I thought maybe it was a problem with the circuit so I pulled everything apart and set the same circuit up on a bread board and got the same results.
I'm running reef pi version 2.0.0-rc2 on a pi-3

you can check the circuit without the sensor by connecting the pins together. this could rule out a problem with your wiring .

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dave's Reef - nice looking set up! Are those all 3.5mm Jack's you used?

I believe you'll be fine hooking the extra temp probes to any pins as long as you assign those specific pins to them and set them up as such.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dave's Reef - "Jack's" should be jacks. I think I'm going to have to turn off auto-correct on my phone. It appears to be incorrect more than it's correct! Sorry 'bout that!

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.. I wanted to start with saying amazing job on Reef-Pi. I dont have mine up and running the tank yet but it should be soon. I also have a few questions I'm going to have 3 temp probes do I just select any pin I'm not using for my other two probes or are there certain pins I need to use? Also hows the PH probe going? I have not seen anything on how to hook it up. Sorry when it comes to the programming side of things I'm not very savvy. So understanding how the tech end of things work I'm lost, and trying to learn as much as I can. Thank you.

The temp prob uses the one 1wire protocol You can have latterly 100s of 1wire devices on the same pin. so it connects just like the existing one .. Just be sure you connect and disconnect the probes while the Pi is turned off. as they will touch and cause pi to reboot . or cause a short... i think cat3 or 5 plugs would be much better then the jacks

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dave's Reef - nice looking set up! Are those all 3.5mm Jack's you used?

I believe you'll be fine hooking the extra temp probes to any pins as long as you assign those specific pins to them and set them up as such.

Thanks and yes they are I currently have 6 of them 3 for Lights 3 for Temps (DT, Sump, Mixing Station/Air). I will be adding at least 4 more, 3 levels and a Ph (my plan is to buy the Atlas Scientific pH Kit 0-14 pH kit) and make a small box to house the chip and plug for the probe next to my sump (in the basement) and run a 3.5mm extension cable from the remote box at the sump top the main Reef-Pi box under my tank.

Dave's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temp prob uses the one 1wire protocol You can have latterly 100s of 1wire devices on the same pin. so it connects just like the existing one .. Just be sure you connect and disconnect the probes while the Pi is turned off. as they will touch and cause pi to reboot . or cause a short... i think cat3 or 5 plugs would be much better then the jacks

Thanks for the help I will hook them up that way. as for the cat3 or 5 plugs Im an honestly not worried about unplugging the temps while things are running I like the ease of the 3.5mm jacks and extension cables. but thank you for the pointers

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Diamond1 - why didn't you post this on your own build thread? Is it because it might be a common problem?
I think I stand a better chance of the experts seeing this and helping out. If it is a bug maybe it can help @Ranjib can use it to better the 2.0 release.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having an issue with setting up my optical sensor. I set it up on the inlet tab, I'm able to set the sensor up in the ATO section, assign it to an outlet and save the setting for it. Then regardless of the sensor being in or out of water it turns the outlet on and wont shut off even after the sensor is re submerged in water.

I ran: cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio17/value and it says 0 even when the equipment tab shows the #2 outlet to be on. I also get an error message {"error":"stats for id: '2' not found"} | HTTP 404

I thought maybe it was a problem with the circuit so I pulled everything apart and set the same circuit up on a bread board and got the same results.
I'm running reef pi version 2.0.0-rc2 on a pi-3
That stats not found error is expected soon after you create an ato, it should go away within a minute, when the first check is done.
Can you post a photo of your circuit? and a screenshot of your ato page

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the data pin and hot pin on the sensor board or on the pi board?
There are two wires one is a Ground the other is the hot/data pin.. a standard mechanical float switch (not a sensor like you have) Does it open or close the Circuit .. Does this make more sense.. Its just a standard on and off switch..

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the circuit.
The error message comes up every time the sensor tries to take a reading I have it set for every 10 seconds.

IMG_4302.JPG

ATO page.

IMG_4388.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4391.JPG

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two wires one is a Ground the other is the hot/data pin.. a standard mechanical float switch (not a sensor like you have) Does it open or close the Circuit .. Does this make more sense.. Its just a standard on and off switch..

I did this and ended up with the same result.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this and ended up with the same result.
Are you using Resistors in your Circuit..
Here is the example i used to wire mine. I think your missing the resisters unless they are on the back side of your hat .
flat switch wiring.jpg

In your dashboard configuration under ato you have nothing selected. this will cause this error.. removing the ato from the dashboard totally and check the ato sensor in the ato tab.
It will take a few min for it to start working..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

beautiful, thank you for giving reef-pi a shot :-0) . Welcome to reef2reef. Temperature sensors all share a common wire, GPIO 4. Irrespective of how many you use, it's called one wire bus.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
beautiful, thank you for giving reef-pi a shot :-0) . Welcome to reef2reef. Temperature sensors all share a common wire, GPIO 4. Irrespective of how many you use, it's called one wire bus.
I am in process of finishing up the pH monitor build. It will be published next week hopefully, Its been for few months now, but I never got to document the build guide.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in process of finishing up the pH monitor build. It will be published next week hopefully, Its been for few months now, but I never got to document the build guide.
My Next project . will be one day when its to cold to work

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using Resistors in your Circuit..
Here is the example i used to wire mine. I think your missing the resisters unless they are on the back side of your hat .
flat switch wiring.jpg

In your dashboard configuration under ato you have nothing selected. this will cause this error.. removing the ato from the dashboard totally and check the ato sensor in the ato tab.
It will take a few min for it to start working..
No resistors on the pi hat the optical sensor has a 3 pin connection that goes to a break out board with 4 wires going to the sensor.

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4312.JPG

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back