reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not yet. I would love to play with them, you have a link for the specific sensor ? Preferably from amazon

This is what I have from DFROBOT:

They have similar on amazon:

Definetly not as cheap as float sensors, but I suppose it's hard to beat those as pretty much $2 a pop.

PS. One from DFROBOT comes with a breakout board that has a push-button sensitivity adjustment (3 levels).

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have from DFROBOT:

They have similar on amazon:

Definetly not as cheap as float sensors, but I suppose it's hard to beat those as pretty much $2 a pop.

PS. One from DFROBOT comes with a breakout board that has a push-button sensitivity adjustment (3 levels).

Could be interesting to play with with the advantage of no water contact! Maybe ill toss one into my next amazon order and check it out.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive mind,
Thanksgiving is approaching and I am planning out reef-pi 3.0 final release. Lot has been done since last thanksgiving and I want freeze new feature development and spend the rest of the time from now on to fix the UI, sort out the bugs and updating documentations. Basically focus on stabilizing and polishing whatever we have built as of now. Sadly, I have to pause the development of clustering feature, its not coming in 3.0. I have some code for it, but still lot needs to be done, and I think it risky to focus on those bits with such shorter time frame for final release.

Following is the final list of features I am planning fold in for 3.0 release.

- Hardware Abstraction layer . pH board driver, Pico base board driver, Kasa smart outlet with energy monitoring driver
- Ability to control equipment with pH reading
- Ability to trigger macros using timers
- One and two point calibration across pH and temperature sensors
- Custom PWM profiles for light and wavemakers (lunar cycle, sine curves, fine grained 15 min interval linear profiles etc)
- Ability to send notification to multiple email addresses
- Ability to use PCA9685 for outlet controls
- Prometheus integration, for more sophisticated metrics retention and charts/dashboards
- Internationalization (french, german, chinese, spanish and several other languages)

Other than the above mentioned software features, this year I'll also be releasing non-electronic, mechanical component designs. Namely,
- 3D printable designs for all standard enclosures (single module and all in ones)
- 3D printable designs for peristaltic pumps
- 3D printable designs for various contraptions, like float switch holder, submersible pump brackets, media cabs for HOB filters etc
I dont know how extensive the coverage will be. But expect most main features (ato, temperature, power, ph, light etc) will be available as both single module as well as AIO mode, and probably with pi zero as well as pi 3A+ or pi 3 B. I have already release 70% of these. I'll consolidate and improve them in the coming days, till the final release.

Last but not the least, documentation. I plan to amend the adafruit tutorials with new things. In most cases I'll include multiple alternatives. But how expansive they will be Im not sure, as they take quite some time. But I think its ok if I add the alternate bits after release, and just update the guides to 3.0 screenshots/steps by the time of release.

Let me know yours thoughts.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hive mind,
Thanksgiving is approaching and I am planning out reef-pi 3.0 final release. Lot has been done since last thanksgiving and I want freeze new feature development and spend the rest of the time from now on to fix the UI, sort out the bugs and updating documentations. Basically focus on stabilizing and polishing whatever we have built as of now. Sadly, I have to pause the development of clustering feature, its not coming in 3.0. I have some code for it, but still lot needs to be done, and I think it risky to focus on those bits with such shorter time frame for final release.

- Hardware Abstraction layer . pH board driver, Pico base board driver, Kasa smart outlet with energy monitoring driver
- Custom PWM profiles for light and wavemakers (lunar cycle, sine curves, fine grained 15 min interval linear profiles etc)
- Prometheus integration, for more sophisticated metrics retention and charts/dashboards
- Internationalization (french, german, chinese, spanish and several other languages)

Other than the above mentioned software features, this year I'll also be releasing non-electronic, mechanical component designs. Namely,
- 3D printable designs for all standard enclosures (single module and all in ones)
- 3D printable designs for various contraptions, like float switch holder, submersible pump brackets, media cabs for HOB filters etc
I dont know how extensive the coverage will be. But expect most main features (ato, temperature, power, ph, light etc) will be available as both single module as well as AIO mode, and probably with pi zero as well as pi 3A+ or pi 3 B. I have already release 70% of these. I'll consolidate and improve them in the coming days, till the final release.

Last but not the least, documentation. I plan to amend the adafruit tutorials with new things. In most cases I'll include multiple alternatives. But how expansive they will be Im not sure, as they take quite some time. But I think its ok if I add the alternate bits after release, and just update the guides to 3.0 screenshots/steps by the time of release.

Solid! Can't wait.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive mind,

Sounds like a great plan.
I cant help code, but i now have a spare pi zero to play with, and am good at testing and troubleshooting, if you need someone to help test things out, I can assist with that.
I want to get into the prometheus end as well so I could also help there.

bala murugan 00500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive mind,

WOW ... really cool .. I'm waiting for 3.0

IN 3.0 can I expect a time delay function for equipment.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all would like to know could or should i measure any volt or ma from the PCA9685 signal line? Try to test some diy led light but could not get to work.One driver Meanwell ELN-60-48D not working because i need 0-10v analog signal to control.The second what i try is regular Luxdrive 03021-D-I-1000,somehow not working with my PCA9685 connected the signal line from the PCA9685 to the driver CTL 0-5v input but i got no any power from the signal line. Thank you for your time

bala murugan 00500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all would like to know could or should i measure any volt or ma from the PCA9685 signal line? Try to test some diy led light but could not get to work.One driver Meanwell ELN-60-48D not working because i need 0-10v analog signal to control.The second what i try is regular Luxdrive 03021-D-I-1000,somehow not working with my PCA9685 connected the signal line from the PCA9685 to the driver CTL 0-5v input but i got no any power from the signal line. Thank you for your time
first .... make sure you enabled PCA9685 option in reef pi > configuration > Settings > enable PCA9685
and in light option get it to 100% then test the voltage in the PCA9685 PWM signal ...

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I have been running 2.2 for a long time now. I just upgraded to 2.5 and now my LEDs will not dim all the way to off. I then installed 2.4 and still could not dim to off. I installed 2.3 and this time i could dim to off.
Im using a PCA9685. Is there any change from 2.3 to 2.4 that you think would be causing this?

bala murugan 00500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib I have been running 2.2 for a long time now. I just upgraded to 2.5 and now my LEDs will not dim all the way to off. I then installed 2.4 and still could not dim to off. I installed 2.3 and this time i could dim to off.
Im using a PCA9685. Is there any change from 2.3 to 2.4 that you think would be causing this?
I'm also facing this problem ... there is the bug .... I think it will be solved in 3.0 release

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spikes look similar to what i was getting when i had the wonky power supply throwing interference.

@Ranjib means the data is getting corrupted occasionally. This could be from loose wiring, or some type of interference. Check and double check the wiring. Also check the routing of your sensor wiring. Keep it away from any AC wiring or motor/pump wires.
I swapped out the power supply and routed the probe as far from any other wires as I could. So far there has been 0 errors!

sfgabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just looking for a camera that can take a pic 3 times a day. Not active monitoring.
But the raspberry pi camera cable is to short and i would like to use a usb camera instead

I use this HDMI extension for the Pi camera - https://amzn.to/2QcPn05

It works on my reef-pi build, but it's better on a dedicated motioneye pi zero (streaming, etc)

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive mind,

Using the pca9685 for outlets really is big. Alot of advantages, frees up gpio, eliminates the need for a uln2803, and could conveivable let you add as many outlets as the i2c bus could handle. No having to solder up a uln2803 on a perf board which is great for people without soldering equipment or skills. This makes reef pi even more "plug and play"!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the pca9685 for outlets really is big. Alot of advantages, frees up gpio, eliminates the need for a uln2803, and could conveivable let you add as many outlets as the i2c bus could handle. No having to solder up a uln2803 on a perf board which is great for people without soldering equipment or skills. This makes reef pi even more "plug and play"!!!
with 12V relay, I think we will still need the uln2803. pca9685 is 5V only. It does opens up the possibility of whole lot more outlets.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with 12V relay, I think we will still need the uln2803. pca9685 is 5V only. It does opens up the possibility of whole lot more outlets.
Yes but going forward the same types of relay boards are available in both voltages for someone planning a new build...
It just gives someone alot more options when planning a build.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but going forward the same types of relay boards are available in both voltages for someone planning a new build...
It just gives someone alot more options when planning a build.
Agree. I was thinking for in the line of ADJ powerstrip. With scratch builds, the options are infinite :) . There are 5V peristaltic pumps as well, i think it will be a simpler build based on 5V 4A power supply. The only missing piece will be 10V kessil controller. This is something i want to address.. may be with custom LED and meanwell powersupply that can take 5V pwm control signal.

janos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And do not forget Ranjib not everybody can afford Kessil light.When we chose to build DIY controller,we try to build everything DIY.And the ADJ is expensive if you can buy,but you could build cheaper for your self.Maybe not a nice setup my Reef-pi the first was working for 2 year long without a hick up.

20190918_075829_HDR.jpg

Back