reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
I have cut another release candidate for the 3.0 series. The primary reason for this release candidate was to address pca9685 and lighting ui bug. I think this is the last pre release and unless any other serious bugs are reported I'll cut 3.0 release., which will be same as this release candidate, except some documentation/cosmetic changes.

• Here is the summary of changes in this release:
  • PCA9685 0 & 100 % incorrect behavior bug fix
  • Lighting ui mixed mode and duplicate channel bug fix
  • Internationalization: fix missing dutch translation
  • temperature controller upper threshold breach bug fix
  • allow editing driver name and address
  • "reef-pi db buckets" will list all available buckets

Builds are available from usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc1
If you are running pca9685 base Led controller, please help us testing this release. This is the last critical bug that I dont want in 3.0. I am not able to assess the impact of this bug due to my light (kessil) not showing any significant differences. I have double checked with scope and made one small change in the driver code which has made a very subtle change (detectable via scope) , but its not clear if this solved the bug or not, for those of you who encountered incorrect behavior at 0 or 100%.

thank you
I plan on a test run when i get some time

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. too much tech stuff . Time to bring the corals :)
Fts of biocube 28

4C3EDB1E-9D0A-48BA-885C-AF5B59873C80.jpeg

Goniopora
241D19C4-8AE7-43CF-8697-BA4F7BE523E9.jpeg

Lepto
6D658B81-A852-40DC-93C0-31969A79869E.jpeg

Blue tubs
2D7BA5A2-5350-4AF4-9EBC-8EB31FF4056A.jpeg

Forest fire digitata frag
57456C2E-13DA-4D46-B2DA-B7C5D46C37BF.jpeg
5BC1616A-3914-495F-A4DE-C3EC2DD4792E.jpeg

Soulreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,
I have cut another release candidate for the 3.0 series. The primary reason for this release candidate was to address pca9685 and lighting ui bug. I think this is the last pre release and unless any other serious bugs are reported I'll cut 3.0 release., which will be same as this release candidate, except some documentation/cosmetic changes.

Builds are available from usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/3.0.0-rc1
If you are running pca9685 base Led controller, please help us testing this release. This is the last critical bug that I dont want in 3.0. I am not able to assess the impact of this bug due to my light (kessil) not showing any significant differences. I have double checked with scope and made one small change in the driver code which has made a very subtle change (detectable via scope) , but its not clear if this solved the bug or not, for those of you who encountered incorrect behavior at 0 or 100%.

thank you

thank you friend, this is working properly, the Light UI section is no longer duplicate, the relay works perfectly.

insert photo [just to test the power of the PWM led with a relay.]
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-25 at 17.34.46.jpeg

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you friend, this is working properly, the Light UI section is no longer duplicate, the relay works perfectly.

insert photo [just to test the power of the PWM led with a relay.]
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-25 at 17.34.46.jpeg
hugs :) . thank you for testing

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got all the configuration setup I could without connecting it yet, still need to work on temp, pH, & lighting. Everything looks good so far though! Was the bug with the temperature probes fixed?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends,

thank you

I updated from 2.4 to 3.0 RC1 last night and it broke everything. None of the equipment or macros worked anymore. I went ahead and rolled back to 2.4 and all is well but is there a specific way to upgrade? I just did a dpkg -I for the newer version.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated from 2.4 to 3.0 RC1 last night and it broke everything. None of the equipment or macros worked anymore. I went ahead and rolled back to 2.4 and all is well but is there a specific way to upgrade? I just did a dpkg -I for the newer version.

Did you delete your database before upgrading? If not, that's definitely your problem.

Use these 2 commands in terminal:

sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db

Then dpkg your 3.0.0-rc1 again. See how that works out for you.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you delete your database before upgrading? If not, that's definitely your problem.

Use these 2 commands in terminal:

sudo systemctl stop reef-pi.service
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db

Then dpkg your 3.0.0-rc1 again. See how that works out for you.

Will 3.0 not upgrade an existing install? I mean will I have to start fresh and re build all the connectors and macros?

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will 3.0 not upgrade an existing install? I mean will I have to start fresh and re build all the connectors and macros?

Correct. @Ranjib can definitely give a more technical explanation, but I'm pretty sure there are relatively large differences in the databases between 2.x & 3.x builds.

It'd be like trying to copy & paste rows from an Excel spreadsheet for customer information to a different spreadsheet for transaction history. Sure, Excel will let you do it... but when you try to average your sales out, that row with a name instead of a sales price is really going to throw it for a loop.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. @Ranjib can definitely give a more technical explanation, but I'm pretty sure there are relatively large differences in the databases between 2.x & 3.x builds.

It'd be like trying to copy & paste rows from an Excel spreadsheet for customer information to a different spreadsheet for transaction history. Sure, Excel will let you do it... but when you try to average your sales out, that row with a name instead of a sales price is really going to throw it for a loop.
Pretty much what you said. The only thing I can add is 3.0 ships with reef-pi dB command that you can use to list/get/update/delete data directly, so that tool can be used to dump data and reload them if needed.

mk1scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the latest pre-release, my temp probe disappears--Is there a log file I can access to see what is causing this to happen?

Edit. I should also note that lights are working correctly for me in auto mode (beta & rc01 only worked in manual mode).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the latest pre-release, my temp probe disappears--Is there a log file I can access to see what is causing this to happen?
Check if the sensor is detected by raspbian/linux. If thats the case then this is not related to reef-pi upgrades.
Code:
ls /sys/bus/w1/devices

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check if the sensor is detected by raspbian/linux. If thats the case then this is not related to reef-pi upgrades.
Code:
ls /sys/bus/w1/devices
@Ranjib
I have loaded reef pi 3.0 rc1 and have a weird behavior with temp sensors. First off this is being tested on my bullet proof build that was happily running the 3.0 alpha release for months.
Upgrading from 3.0 alpha i had some temp sensors missing so I deleted them all and remade the sensors. All is good and they happily work.
Upon a reload of reef pi a temp sensor will randomly be missing once it reloads. If you delete and remake that sensor it works fine until you do another reef pi reload. I can see all sensors when ssh into pi and issue the command to see them on the onewire bus.

In short:
Sensors created and work fine but upon reef pi reload they will randomly quit working. After deleting and recreating the sensor it will again work fine until a reef pi reload.

This is definitely reef pi software related as going back to 3.0 alpha everything works.

The lighting in reef pi 3.0rc1 seems to be working !

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
I have loaded reef pi 3.0 rc1 and have a weird behavior with temp sensors. First off this is being tested on my bullet proof build that was happily running the 3.0 alpha release for months.
Upgrading from 3.0 alpha i had some temp sensors missing so I deleted them all and remade the sensors. All is good and they happily work.
Upon a reload of reef pi a temp sensor will randomly be missing once it reloads. If you delete and remake that sensor it works fine until you do another reef pi reload or reboot. I can see all sensors when ssh into pi and issue the command to see them on the onewire bus.

In short:
Sensors created and work fine but upon reef pi reload they will randomly quit working. After deleting and recreating the sensor it will again work fine until a reef pi reload/reboot

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib
Upon a reload of reef pi a temp sensor will randomly be missing once it reloads. If you delete and remake that sensor it works fine until you do another reef pi reload. I can see all sensors when ssh into pi and issue the command to see them on the onewire bus.

In short:
Sensors created and work fine but upon reef pi reload they will randomly quit working. After deleting and recreating the sensor it will again work fine until a reef pi reload.

This is definitely reef pi software related as going back to 3.0 alpha everything works.

Thank you for the detailed response. Let me run through some tests. We'll not ship 3.0 with such bugs,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

In short:

By reload you mean just reef-pi reload, no reboot right?

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By reload you mean just reef-pi reload, no reboot right?
It happens on both a reload or a reboot

I also noticed that when i would just create a temp sensor, if i tried to create a temp controller controlling equipment it wouldnt save...it wouls tell me there were validation errors. If i controlled nothing and just created a temp sensor it would save it(pending a reload or reboot).
If it helps, one sensor out of my 3 would always survive a reboot or reload...

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens on both a reload or a reboot

I also noticed that when i would just create a temp sensor, if i tried to create a temp controller controlling equipment it wouldnt save...it wouls tell me there were validation errors. If i controlled nothing and just created a temp sensor it would save it(pending a reload or reboot).
If it helps, one sensor out of my 3 would always survive a reboot or reload...
This is repeatable even on a clean reef pi load meaning deleting my database and loading 3.0rc1. Creating nothing except my 3 temp sensors, on a reboot or a reload only one sensor survives.

On a side note im getting pretty good with linux commands :) as long as you save your database its easy to get back to 3.0 alpha and running again!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back