reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We updated the prometheus library in 3.4. It looks like the new update does not allow metric name starting with number and thus "10g" is causing it to panic (i am assuming you have a temperature controller with name 10g). For the time being changing it to something else that does not starts with a number might fix it (e,g. TenG or IOg) or just disable prometheus from the preferences. Meanwhile I'll check if we can prevent this in reef-pi side , i.e check if the metric name is valid or not, and error instead of panic if its invalid.

This is not a nice bug, it basically locks you out and you have to pitch the database and start over. It appears that not only the temp definitions need to not start with a number but it also applies to the lighting. I was just about done and have to start over once again. I could just turn Prometheus off but rather like having the data.

Oh well tenth time is the charm...wait maybe i have that wrong ;)

:)

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the macro gurus...

I am getting a co2 system to aid in plant growth and to stabilize ph swings in my 75g FW planted.
As everyone knows i am a stickler for redundancy. The co2 system has a simple on/off solenoid that will be run from one of my equipment outlets.

I would like to be able to:
Turn the co2 ON 30 mins before my lights come on.
Turn the co2 OFF 30 mins before lights off.
Use the PH controller to turn off the co2 if something goes wrong and the system decides to dump co2. So if ph goes below a preset level it turns the co2 off.

Is this a setup of 2 ph controllers off the same ph probe and a macro for ON and a Macro for OFF?

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a nice bug, it basically locks you out and you have to pitch the database and start over. It appears that not only the temp definitions need to not start with a number but it also applies to the lighting. I was just about done and have to start over once again. I could just turn Prometheus off but rather like having the data.

Oh well tenth time is the charm...wait maybe i have that wrong ;)

:)
You can do reef-pi db update temperature 1 (assuming the if of the 10g temp controller is 1) to change the name. That should fix everything without database reset. Post reef-pi dB command , any such isssue can be fixed without resetting database ,

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the gnd on the relay only has the ground from the buck converter wired to it. Should I add a pi ground also? Will this not let the pi have access to the 5v from the buck converter?
Are you powering pi also from the same power supply ? Ideally all gnd (of the dc circuits ) should be in one rail. Use multimeter to understand where in circuit the issue is happening , if you are really curious, start with pi gpio output pin (which is 3.3 v when on, 0 when off) and go downstream till you reach the relay pins .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you powering pi also from the same power supply ? Ideally all gnd (of the dc circuits ) should be in one rail. Use multimeter to understand where in circuit the issue is happening , if you are really curious, start with pi gpio output pin (which is 3.3 v when on, 0 when off) and go downstream till you reach the relay pins .
It is possible some time there’s short of other circuit issues ,,

mr.salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible some time there’s short of other circuit issues ,,

I understand the GPIO pins on the pi etc and have checked for short circuits and narrowed it down to been the pi but if it hasn't got a common ground with the buck converter and the relay I ain't getting anywhere fast so I will get that sorted today and see what happens.

I didn't realise I needed common grounds so thanks for clearing that up

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the macro gurus...

I am getting a co2 system to aid in plant growth and to stabilize ph swings in my 75g FW planted.
As everyone knows i am a stickler for redundancy. The co2 system has a simple on/off solenoid that will be run from one of my equipment outlets.

I would like to be able to:
Turn the co2 ON 30 mins before my lights come on.
Turn the co2 OFF 30 mins before lights off.
Use the PH controller to turn off the co2 if something goes wrong and the system decides to dump co2. So if ph goes below a preset level it turns the co2 off.

Is this a setup of 2 ph controllers off the same ph probe and a macro for ON and a Macro for OFF?

Yeah. I'm assuming light on and off time don't change thorugh the year?

"CO2 ON" Macro
  1. CO2 solenoid On
  2. wait 30 minutes
  3. CO2 Solenoid off
  4. ph controll ON
Timer triggers that 30minutes before Lights On

Reverse for "Off"

If I'm understanding correctly.

Last edited:

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do reef-pi db update temperature 1 (assuming the if of the 10g temp controller is 1) to change the name. That should fix everything without database reset. Post reef-pi dB command , any such isssue can be fixed without resetting database ,

Good to know, I don't have a complicated setup I just re-created everything and it appears to be working now. I am getting spurious Temp sensor errors and I wasn't seeing these before.
Code:
Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011938443c3c/w1_slave: interrupted system call

I did replace one sensor and remove the audio jacks to an jst-sm connector, the errors are random and I have seen error's on all three sensors, I assume something is not happy now and will need to figure out some way to approach it. If anyone has any suggestions on troubleshooting the 1-wire stuff let me know.

Thanks.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I don't have a complicated setup I just re-created everything and it appears to be working now. I am getting spurious Temp sensor errors and I wasn't seeing these before.
Code:
Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011938443c3c/w1_slave: interrupted system call

I did replace one sensor and remove the audio jacks to an jst-sm connector, the errors are random and I have seen error's on all three sensors, I assume something is not happy now and will need to figure out some way to approach it. If anyone has any suggestions on troubleshooting the 1-wire stuff let me know.

Thanks.
I am assuming all 3 temp sensors are wired more or less in a star type configuration?
Are you running a premade hat or anything or can u change the 4.7k resistor easily?
Depending on configuration, wiring lengths etc. Some people have had luck changing the 4.7k pullup resistor to a lower value, say 3k or 2.2k. Dont go below 1.5k on this.
If you wamt the geeky explanation on why this works let me know.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm assuming light on and off time don't change thorugh the year?

"CO2 ON" Macro
  1. CO2 solenoid On
  2. wait 30 minutes
  3. CO2 Solenoid off
  4. ph controll ON
Timer triggers that 30minutes before Lights On

Reverse for "Off"

If I'm understanding correctly.
Thanks! That was my thought but hate to experiment on my working reef pi, as it has been quite stable for months. I really need to get a second one as a spare/experiment pi.
Macros can be quite powerful, I just have to play around a bit as you have, as an electician Im too used to ladder diagrams.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming all 3 temp sensors are wired more or less in a star type configuration?
Are you running a premade hat or anything or can u change the 4.7k resistor easily?
Depending on configuration, wiring lengths etc. Some people have had luck changing the 4.7k pullup resistor to a lower value, say 3k or 2.2k. Dont go below 1.5k on this.
If you wamt the geeky explanation on why this works let me know.

Yeah this is my original proto hat (star config) that I have had working for sometime but the SD card decided to go sideways. It was all working fine in the past but the three probe temps were all using the same length cable. I swapped one of the probes out with a longer cable unit and I also took the liberty of replacing the audio jacks with jst-xm connectors. I would assume I am using whatever resistor was called out in the temp guide, I did purchase a box of resistors so I can replace it with a different value, which one should I try first or most likely to work? I

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is my original proto hat (star config) that I have had working for sometime but the SD card decided to go sideways. It was all working fine in the past but the three probe temps were all using the same length cable. I swapped one of the probes out with a longer cable unit and I also took the liberty of replacing the audio jacks with jst-xm connectors. I would assume I am using whatever resistor was called out in the temp guide, I did purchase a box of resistors so I can replace it with a different value, which one should I try first or most likely to work? I
Try a 3.3k first.
The resistor pulls the data line back up to 3.3v
If there is excess capacitance in the wiring the 4.7k may not pull up the data line fast enough and commmunications on the bus get interuppted. A smaller resistor will charge the capacitance faster, but too small will waste power and/or allow too much current to flow and burn out the pi pin so go incrementally smaller until it works.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a 3.3k first.
The resistor pulls the data line back up to 3.3v
If there is excess capacitance in the wiring the 4.7k may not pull up the data line fast enough and commmunications on the bus get interuppted. A smaller resistor will charge the capacitance faster, but too small will waste power and/or allow too much current to flow and burn out the pi pin so go incrementally smaller until it works.

Just checked my resistor box, ya know the 600 bazillion and i do not have 3.3K but I do have a 2.2k. I do have 1k's also that I could combine with the 2.2k but the single 2.2 would be easier.

Let me know what you think about the 2.2k version...thanks. More i think about it I do not think this is a star since they wire back each to the proto board like the original temp ada fruit guide which i believe would be parallel.

Last edited:

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That was my thought but hate to experiment on my working reef pi, as it has been quite stable for months. I really need to get a second one as a spare/experiment pi.
Macros can be quite powerful, I just have to play around a bit as you have, as an electician Im too used to ladder diagrams.

Obviously remember the writing in reverse bit and enable "run in reverse"

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my resistor box, ya know the 600 bazillion and i do not have 3.3K but I do have a 2.2k. I do have 1k's also that I could combine with the 2.2k but the single 2.2 would be easier.

Let me know what you think about the 2.2k version...thanks. More i think about it I do not think this is a star since they wire back each to the proto board like the original temp ada fruit guide which i believe would be parallel.
2.2k will be fine

Freccialata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Thursday I was updating my Raspberry when suddenly it rebooted (I had setup crontab to automatically reboot every day.... and I was so lucky it happened in the update). The update was still in progress.
The Operating System on the USB Pen Drive (I don't use the Micro SD) obviously crashed and the raspberry didn't reboot.
I formatted the Pen Drive, I installed Raspbian and I installed reef-pi 4.3.

I'm still waiting for the Rob's controller, so my Raspberry has 2 temperature sensor connected and 1 TP-Link HS110 smart plug is connected wifi by reef-pi.

With the old version (3.3.1) I NEVER had any kind of problem (except some Adafruit error logs I receive in Configuration --> Errors that I can understand. Temperature data are always updated on my io.adafruite space).

Right now I have the following troubles:

1) In the dashboard, the Equipment chart is not centered (see the first attached pic).

2) in 3 days I had 3 emails because of a temperature sensors failure.
The message are:

- For the temperature sensor INSIDE the fish tank: "Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011921559d98/w1_slave: interrupted system call"

- For the temperature senser OUTSIDE the fish tank (it is "hidden" in the living room just to control the temperature of the room): "Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011921d14102/w1_slave: interrupted system call".

The same error can be read in reef-pi (Configuration --> Errors (see the second attached pic)

Do you have any suggestions?

P.S.: I had the other errors in the log

Schermata 2020-05-30 alle 21.02.24.png Schermata 2020-05-30 alle 21.18.35.png

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last Thursday I was updating my Raspberry when suddenly it rebooted (I had setup crontab to automatically reboot every day.... and I was so lucky it happened in the update). The update was still in progress.
The Operating System on the USB Pen Drive (I don't use the Micro SD) obviously crashed and the raspberry didn't reboot.
I formatted the Pen Drive, I installed Raspbian and I installed reef-pi 4.3.

I'm still waiting for the Rob's controller, so my Raspberry has 2 temperature sensor connected and 1 TP-Link HS110 smart plug is connected wifi by reef-pi.

With the old version (3.3.1) I NEVER had any kind of problem (except some Adafruit error logs I receive in Configuration --> Errors that I can understand. Temperature data are always updated on my io.adafruite space).

Right now I have the following troubles:

1) In the dashboard, the Equipment chart is not centered (see the first attached pic).

2) in 3 days I had 3 emails because of a temperature sensors failure.
The message are:

- For the temperature sensor INSIDE the fish tank: "Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011921559d98/w1_slave: interrupted system call"

- For the temperature senser OUTSIDE the fish tank (it is "hidden" in the living room just to control the temperature of the room): "Temperature sensor failure. Error:read /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-011921d14102/w1_slave: interrupted system call".

The same error can be read in reef-pi (Configuration --> Errors (see the second attached pic)

Do you have any suggestions?

P.S.: I had the other errors in the log

Schermata 2020-05-30 alle 21.02.24.png Schermata 2020-05-30 alle 21.18.35.png
@Tom Bishop
Tom do you see this? Are you on 3.4 when getting the temp sensor errors?

@Ranjib this is the second person to be getting these interuppted system call errors on version 3.4 with all their temperature sensors

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back