reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, attached is a screenshot of the cat command on those directories and my config.txt
This is the unevent values , I don’t need this one I was looking for the. pwm0/duty_cycle and pwm0/period . There should be one for each channel (pwm0 and pwm1)
You have tested the pi gpio pin in isolation right ?

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome!!!

Do you have any issues using the touchscreen? I used to have a tablet by my tank I used to interact with Reef-Pi. But I found when I was using it the most, it was because I was working with my tank & my hands would tend to be wet. A quick wipe with a towel is enough to use a mouse, but even the slightest moisture on my fingers caused my tablet touchscreen to wig out.
Thanks Schreiber! Btw, I also have one of your leviathan boards, which I plan to put into service on another tank at some point...

I am using a resistive touchscreen (most of the small cheap touchscreens are resistive) which handles wet fingers better than capacitive displays. It also came with a small stylus which is useful in these situations. My goal was to deal with exactly the scenario you describe – when I am working on my tank I often need to turn off my skimmer or trigger a water change macro and it is a pain to have to pull out my phone and try to get the finger print sensor to recognise my moist fingers.

This is the touchscreen I am using:

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these icons so much. I hope we can draw some inspiration on the main web ui. We have icon library already integrated, we have to do the work for assigning and showing the approriate icons in proper views (mobile , tablet etc ) . The form factor for the touch screen or mechanical buttons have no match

Savampyre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the unevent values , I don’t need this one I was looking for the. pwm0/duty_cycle and pwm0/period . There should be one for each channel (pwm0 and pwm1)
Pardon my ignorance, an absolute novice here. Yes, I even tried bridging in the old controller board (ie only using the Pi's PWM output to the light's PWM input. Attached is the cat for the two channels at 100 and at 10%.

2021-07-28_19-21-08.jpg

Savampyre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok quick update, having the right tools makes a world of a difference. I picked up a cheap o-scope and found the culprit, the viparspectra controller is running at a different frequency than the pi. The new question is how do I make the pi match the original controller?

Attachments

• FromPi.jpg
    FromPi.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pardon my ignorance, an absolute novice here. Yes, I even tried bridging in the old controller board (ie only using the Pi's PWM output to the light's PWM input. Attached is the cat for the two channels at 100 and at 10%.

2021-07-28_19-21-08.jpg
Ok , so the pi pwm is working as expected, at least the linux sysfs side of thing is fine. You checked the pw output in isolation? like with scope or multi meter? Also, can you please start a separate thread.? lets leave this main thread for general discussion

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these icons so much. I hope we can draw some inspiration on the main web ui. We have icon library already integrated, we have to do the work for assigning and showing the approriate icons in proper views (mobile , tablet etc ) . The form factor for the touch screen or mechanical buttons have no match
The icons are actually the Google Material Icons, which are open sourced under the Apache 2.0 licence. There are a huge number available:

The font is Orbitron, which is licenced under the Open Font License:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finishing up wiring my reef-pi build. I am going to build a 700 watt display light with 6 channels using meanwell hlg/elg dimmable to off drivers(0-10vdc, 10vPMW, or resistance). I would like to add the wiring to a plug for later use now for the control wires. I have an ML hat with 3v3 PWM signal via pca9685. Seems like the easiest way to control the 6 power supplies is by building the npn amplifier circuit in the guide. One question related to that is the power supplies are controlled by 100hz-3khz PMW signal, that frequency is achievable? Second question is do I need 12 control wires running to the light or 7 or 6 and use the mains ground used to power supplies frames as ? I'm trying to limit a gaudy mess of wires going to my light. Maybe I could keep the power supplies in the stand and just run one cable with the DC output from the power supplies. In that case can I use a shared ground wire for all 6 channels? Last question is more for a different thread so answer if u can. My reef-pi build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/matts-reef-pi-build-thread.745599/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finishing up wiring my reef-pi build. I am going to build a 700 watt display light with 6 channels using meanwell hlg/elg dimmable to off drivers(0-10vdc, 10vPMW, or resistance). I would like to add the wiring to a plug for later use now for the control wires. I have an ML hat with 3v3 PWM signal via pca9685. Seems like the easiest way to control the 6 power supplies is by building the npn amplifier circuit in the guide. One question related to that is the power supplies are controlled by 100hz-3khz PMW signal, that frequency is achievable? Second question is do I need 12 control wires running to the light or 7 or 6 and use the mains ground used to power supplies frames as ? I'm trying to limit a gaudy mess of wires going to my light. Maybe I could keep the power supplies in the stand and just run one cable with the DC output from the power supplies. In that case can I use a shared ground wire for all 6 channels? Last question is more for a different thread so answer if u can. My reef-pi build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/matts-reef-pi-build-thread.745599/
Pca9685 is 1.5khz so you should be good. I was thinking , may be use hdmi female breakout board for the control wires .

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pca9685 is 1.5khz so you should be good. I was thinking , may be use hdmi female breakout board for the control wires .

I have tried to solder connectors to hdmi wires but they're much to fragile for that. I'll look into that thanks.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried to solder connectors to hdmi wires but they're much to fragile for that. I'll look into that thanks.
These are break out boards , so you just have to solder Male header pins and then you can directly use jumper wires on both ends

bcirulis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, New to this forum - so firstly thanks for all the hard work on Reef pi, it's amazing.
I have a paludarium that I am using reef pi on Robo tank to control. I have a SHT31d that is measuring air temp and humidity. I would like to control some air circulation fans (12v) based on the humidity, but only have the control run during the day (at night the temp drops and relative humidity rises, so don't want to bring more cold air from the room into the tank). I can't figure out any way to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
unnamed.jpg

Attachments

• 20210724-1824.jpg
    20210724-1824.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210724-1832.jpg
    20210724-1832.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, New to this forum - so firstly thanks for all the hard work on Reef pi, it's amazing.
I have a paludarium that I am using reef pi on Robo tank to control. I have a SHT31d that is measuring air temp and humidity. I would like to control some air circulation fans (12v) based on the humidity, but only have the control run during the day (at night the temp drops and relative humidity rises, so don't want to bring more cold air from the room into the tank). I can't figure out any way to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
unnamed.jpg
Create two ph controller with the sht31 just for monitoring, all the time. Other one uses the same sensor and control the fan based on values you desire. Next , use two separate timers, one to enable the second controller during day time and the then t
disable the second controller during night time .

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unnamed.jpg
And welcome to reef2reef

bcirulis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Create two ph controller with the sht31 just for monitoring, all the time. Other one uses the same sensor and control the fan based on values you desire. Next , use two separate timers, one to enable the second controller during day time and the then t
disable the second controller during night time .
Ahhh perfect, thanks Ranjib.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unnamed.jpg
These are dart frogs? They are so pretty

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive mind,
I am happy to announce the immediate availability of reef-pi 4.2. It is an incremental update. We do not expect any breaking changes on 4.x series deployments. I'll be testing this more rigorously in a larger tank :) and will keep you updated.

It has been quite a long time (from reef-pi's pre-covid cadence) since the last minor release, almost 6 months. Hence significant volume of changes are being released as part of 4.2, here is a summary

Features
- Timers are now universal in their capabilities. Timers can control ato, ph,temperature, and all other existing functionalities (reminders, equipment, macro)
- There is built in support for Tasmota (@hectoresport ) and Kasa HS303 driver.
- The dashboard UI now offers a better, controllable equipment widget called "switch panel". Theres also a blank panel to help with layouts. @prsws
- Equipment can now have a special property called "StayOffOnBoot", which will bypass reef-pi syncing an equipment state upon startup/restart. This does not nullify any controller induced equipment state. @prsws
- More coverage for Spanish and german translations. (@Hectoresport, @schawbix-113).

Bugfixes
- prometheus metric emission error due to invalid name @theatrus

Chores
- node, go version upgrades. numerous npm and go package upgrades
- Core reef-pi library upgrades (rpi, hal, drivers)
- CI/CD infrastructure upgrades (GitHub actions)

Releases can be found in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/4.2
If you are on 4.0, you can also try it out from UI directly.

This was another community-driven release, where the bulk of features were developed by our awesome community members. Thank you for all the effort folks, we truly appreciate it,

regards
ranjib,

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive mind,
I am happy to announce the immediate availability of reef-pi 4.2. It is an incremental update. We do not expect any breaking changes on 4.x series deployments. I'll be testing this more rigorously in a larger tank :) and will keep you updated.

It has been quite a long time (from reef-pi's pre-covid cadence) since the last minor release, almost 6 months. Hence significant volume of changes are being released as part of 4.2, here is a summary

Features
- Timers are now universal in their capabilities. Timers can control ato, ph,temperature, and all other existing functionalities (reminders, equipment, macro)
- The dashboard UI now offers a better, controllable equipment widget called "switch panel". Theres also a blank panel to help with layouts. @prsws
- Equipment can now have a special property called "StayOffOnBoot", which will bypass reef-pi syncing an equipment state upon startup/restart. This does not nullify any controller induced equipment state. @prsws
- More coverage for Spanish and german translations. (@Hectoresport, @schawbix-113).

Bugfixes

Chores

Releases can be found in usual location: https://github.com/reef-pi/reef-pi/releases/tag/4.2

This was another community-driven release, where the bulk of features were developed by our awesome community members. Thank you for all the effort folks, we truly appreciate it,

regards
ranjib,
Just done from the UI, now can't access the pi, the address is the same on my router.

What should I do?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hive mind,

Features

Bugfixes

Chores

regards
ranjib,
This is so awesome, particularly the blank panels and the timer thing :D

How involved is the tasmota driver? Just on/off? Power monitoring? Customizable?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back