Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots more done this weekend.
I decided to go back to my original plan and build a box that hangs off the side of the tank and will contain everything except the dosing pumps. (still working on that)
The box will be stained to match the stand and coated in satin poly inside and out.
The new enclosure will have both Rpis, one with the wykat pi hat and the other pi dedicated to the lights. The enclosure will also house the relays and 16 outlets.

The main pi runs 2 ATO sensors, 2 Temp probes, the dosing pumps and all of the relays.
I finally figured out all the connections and control for my light fixture and got all that put together and working.

For anyone interested I found the ORt247 runs on 3.3 volts pwm at 200Hz. Anything but 200Hz and I was getting a strobe light effect from the leds.
The circuit I came up with to run the lights has been working for a couple of days now and I'm able to ramp the lights up and down according to the schedule set in reef-pi. The only downside is the sudden start of the lights, but I can live with that.

Here's what the basic circuit look like for the light control. The yellow wires are the pwm signal from GPIO 18 and 19. The blue wires are relay controls. The pi and relays are run from an LM2596 and supplies 5v to both.

IMG_4635.JPG

5volt 2 channel relay running with the High level jumpers in place.

IMG_4636.JPG

Working on the new enclosure.
IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

From left to right: 12v dc, dosing pumps, 2 temp probes and light controller.
I'll probably end up swapping the din connector for the dosing pumps with a mini xlr and using the hole for a ph probe.

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

I used a trim router and a pattern bit to cut the holes for the outlets. Not the prettiest job but it will work.
I used an outlet cover for a pattern when routing but because it was so thin the router jumped a few times.

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

Last edited:

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good. All I really need to do now myself is get the lights modified to be run off the pi. I was going to hold off until I get new led drivers but I think I’m going to move forward and add the new led drivers into another build once I get the hat. I really like the wood box.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots more done this weekend.
I decided to go back to my original plan and build a box that hangs off the side of the tank and will contain everything except the dosing pumps. (still working on that)
The box will be stained to match the stand and coated in satin poly inside and out.
The new enclosure will have both Rpis, one with the wykat pi hat and the other pi dedicated to the lights. The enclosure will also house the relays and 16 outlets.

The main pi runs 2 ATO sensors, 2 Temp probes, the dosing pumps and all of the relays.
I finally figured out all the connections and control for my light fixture and got all that put together and working.

For anyone interested I found the ORt247 runs on 3.3 volts pwm at 200Hz. Anything but 200Hz and I was getting a strobe light effect from the leds.
The circuit I came up with to run the lights has been working for a couple of days now and I'm able to ramp the lights up and down according to the schedule set in reef-pi. The only downside is the sudden start of the lights, but I can live with that.

Here's what the basic circuit look like for the light control. The yellow wires are the pwm signal from GPIO 18 and 19. The blue wires are relay controls. The pi and relays are run from an LM2596 and supplies 5v to both.

IMG_4635.JPG

5volt 2 channel relay running with the High level jumpers in place.

IMG_4636.JPG

Working on the new enclosure.
IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

From left to right: 12v dc, dosing pumps, 2 temp probes and light controller.
I'll probably end up swapping the din connector for the dosing pumps with a mini xlr and using the hole for a ph probe.

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4659.JPG

I used a trim router and a pattern bit to cut the holes for the outlets. Not the prettiest job but it will work.
I used an outlet cover for a pattern when routing but because it was so thin the router jumped a few times.

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4647.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG
Very nice:)

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the temperature probe sorted out today and it seems to be working fine at the moment and is controlling the heater as it should. I ordered 5 more sensors in case the new one I'm using has any issues. My new rpi will be here Saturday morning.

I have also been thinking about a way to control my Ocean Revive T247 fixture.

The drivers run on 3.3 volts and it is fairly easy to hack into the wiring and bypass the onboard timer and dimmer controls. My plan is to use the raspberry pi's pwm straight from the pi to control the led drivers and 2 12V DC relays to control turning the drivers and cooling fans on. Since there are only 2 channels in the fixture I should be able to control the ramp up and down of both channels using GPIO pins 18 and 19 then assign the pins in the connectors tab as jacks and then assign them in the lighting tab and use that to control the ramp up and down. I will be testing this out Saturday. I'm also planning on using a DB9 cable to run from the controller to the fixture for the PWM signal, ground, 12V and on/off wire.

Here's the diagram I drew up in paint to test the circuit.
If anyone sees any problems or anything I need to add to the circuit please feel free to comment.

perma proto pi hat.jpg
I have SB reeflights which I want to control the way you have your lights controlled. I only have 3 control wires. My on/off is connected together with ground and connected to ground of a 3.5mm jack. Both channels are hooked together with the control wire from each channel going to the middle or end connector of the 3.5mm jack. Would your wiring work for a 3 wire control circuit?

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have SB reeflights which I want to control the way you have your lights controlled. I only have 3 control wires. My on/off is connected together with ground and connected to ground of a 3.5mm jack. Both channels are hooked together with the control wire from each channel going to the middle or end connector of the 3.5mm jack. Would your wiring work for a 3 wire control circuit?
Looking to add an SBREEF light bar or two to my T5 fixture, so this is something I'm suddenly interested in.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can choose your own frequency in reef-pi so couldn't we use a frequency of 1 on pins 18 and 19 to control the intensity and using a 5 pin connector to have the relay turn and off the lights as @Diamond1 has done?

I searched the main thread and nothing came up that specifically deals with a 3 wire analog controlled dimmer circuit being used with reef-pi.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@b4tn is right the Sbreeflights use a 0-10v pwm to control dimming you wouldn't be able to use the circuit I have since mine is using a 3.3volts, but I think you would be able to control them with @Ranjib 's light module. Somebody with more knowledge than me would be able to confirm this.

This might give you a better idea of how to hook them up.
This guy hacked into SBreeflight fixtures with 3 pins and runs them with an apex. I don't think it's too much different than hooking them up to reef-pi.

OP
OP
Diamond1

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas R2R!

In between work and the holidays I kinda slowed down my build so not a lot was going on. This weekend I had most of the holiday stuff done and a 4 day weekend so I was able to make some nice progress on the new part of the build. I got a box built for the dosing pumps finished up, most of the wiring is done.
I got the new enclosure done stained and sealed with poly. All that's left of the enclosure is to figure out what I want to use to close up the front cover.

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas R2R!

In between work and the holidays I kinda slowed down my build so not a lot was going on. This weekend I had most of the holiday stuff done and a 4 day weekend so I was able to make some nice progress on the new part of the build. I got a box built for the dosing pumps finished up, most of the wiring is done.
I got the new enclosure done stained and sealed with poly. All that's left of the enclosure is to figure out what I want to use to close up the front cover.

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4689.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4697.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG
Very nice! Santa brought me good stuff, have to start my build thread

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back