Reef-Pi Checking the part list..

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-pi ver 2.4 have already loaded onto pi3 B+ power by 5v 3amp DC.
Going with ML Reef-pi Hat as I can't solder and hopefully will reduce some headache down the line.

HAT: ML reef-pi hat v3 --Do I need JST-XH wires???

Project 1: Temperature Probe (Start out small.)
  1. HJ Garden 635pcs 2.54mm Dupont Jumper Header Connector Kit
  2. Temp Probe --read a few builds, this seems to be better
  3. Wire -what gauge do I need 22awg?
  4. Believe I need a Power source hook to ML Reef-pi HAT as I follow others build but forgot the parts name.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you planning to control/monitor? I can help with some recommendations this evening.

OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On this project I want to be able to monitor the temperature, And in the future:
Ph
Salinity
Ato
Lightning (aqua knight a029) hopefully.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-pi ver 2.4 have already loaded onto pi3 B+ power by 5v 3amp DC.
Going with ML Reef-pi Hat as I can't solder and hopefully will reduce some headache down the line.

HAT: ML reef-pi hat v3 --Do I need JST-XH wires???

Project 1: Temperature Probe (Start out small.)
  1. HJ Garden 635pcs 2.54mm Dupont Jumper Header Connector Kit
  2. Temp Probe --read a few builds, this seems to be better
  3. Wire -what gauge do I need 22awg?
  4. Believe I need a Power source hook to ML Reef-pi HAT as I follow others build but forgot the parts name.
Hello,

I think @Michael Lane provides the JST-SH 1.0mm wires you will need but you will have to confirm that with him.

As for the parts not sure why you have #1 on there I dont think you need those for anything. The hat only says it supports the DS18B20 temperature sensors so I wouldn't use any other ones. You shouldn't need any wire for the tempature sensir as it has wire on it and just needs to be soldered to the JST-SH 1.0mm wires which should be provided and then just plugged in. You will need a 12v power source I used this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VPGK6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it's cheap and works well.

As for recommendations, I would also buy a ph board from ML https://www.tindie.com/products/Ranthalion/isolated-ph-probe-interface-for-reef-pi/ as its cheaper than building it and works amazing you will also need a ph probe I used this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YJ22O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and you will need 2 ph calibration solutions I used 7 and 10 from here https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/milwaukee-ph-calibration-fluid-single-use-packet.html

The ph module is virtually plug and play just solder the wires from the ph board to the JST-SH 1.0mm wires and go.

You will need to update to Reef-Pi to the latest 3.0 for PH

The ato is also easy just buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BQL7H9R/ and hook it up if you wish to control something you would also need to get the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EYHBVQ/ https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QM8ZP5E/ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073H9BKZ5/ and https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD2BWPY/ and then you just connect it up and your running.

As for salinity there is no way to monitor that yet.

And I see ML is helping you with your lighting control which should be possible with his help!

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The v2 hat is just as functional as the v3 hat; v3 only adds a bunch of LEDs. v2 is probably a little more rugged since the connectors are bigger and through hole.

@AquaRaider44's suggestions are spot on and would get you up and running quick and easy. I like the ADJ SR P8, but only because there aren't any other affordable wired options. If you were interested in making your own outlets with relay boards, you could possibly omit the 12v power supply as long as you get a 3v or 5v relay board. Total cost would probably be similar in the end though.

The ATO could also use regular float switch (like these) or the capacitive sensors in addition to the optical ones.

For the temperature probe, the drok temperature sensors should be fine. They are DS18B20 sensors, so reef-pi can read them. I wouldn't bother with the dupont jumper kit unless you also have the crimper tool. I found them to be very frustrating to use. I tried making my own wires for a while, but I finally admitted it was better to just buy the pre-made wires. Instead, I would recommend some heat shrink tubing (1/16, 3/32, or 3mm) and maybe some 3 or 4 conductor cable. The gauge probably won't really matter since none of the components should be using much current, but 22 awg is fine.

As for power, you don't need to supply external power via the hat, you can just power the rpi over the usb connection and that would probably be fine. Using a higher quality 5v supply would likely be more robust and result in fewer power supply problems, but you could start without an additional power supply and test it on your bench for a while. If you do start running wires for power, then I'd recommend something thicker than 22 awg. You may want to go with 20 awg depending on how much current you'll need. AWG current charts can help you make this decision.

What ideas do you have for an enclosure? That can have an impact on how you want to lay everything out, and what kinds of connectors to use.

OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @AquaRaider44 and Michael Lane

@MichaelLane, I haven't firgure out the enclosure part yet. Any recommendation? I have a biocube32 and a stand, so I want to squeeze all of this below the stand inside the stand. I don't need LCD/LED screen to shows case anything. I'm going to access the server on a tablet/other PC around the house.

I'm going to order MLver2 -- based on ML more rugged
DS18b20 probe

Hopefully once all these come in I can start on Project 1. than move on and order more of what yall have recommend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ML ver 2 finally comes in, but the usps guy bend the pins a bit. Hopefully it will be alright. I can start on getting temp probe and setup on Wednesday.

5E27CCC1-58D9-4112-9FFB-A9270512D5DA.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaRaider44 @MichaelLane
I have DS18b20 probe connected to Temp1 (J14) on ML HAT, on Temperature tab the Sensor drop down box doesn't have anything. Also Setting/Connectors doesn't have any inlets/Outlets set. I would need to set that to tell what GPIO pin is connect to the sensor right?

And based on this video, sensor should just regcognize, maybe its my sensor?

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found 2 errors on reef-pi:
Version: 3.0.0-pre-alpha-2
  1. Failed to initialize i2c. Error:eek:pen /dev/i2c-1: no such file or directory -- was error , just enable under "sudo raspi-config"
  2. Failed to load temperature subsystem. Error:equipment sub-system is not initialized

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off are you sure your sensor is wired correctly...what wire colors on your sensors, they have been known to be wired with wrong color codes from factory.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That bent pin should be fine, just gently bend it back into place. I'll have to come up with a better way to protect those pins for shipping. Let me know if you do have any problem with it though.

The wire colors won't always match (in fact they probably won't match in most cases). I'll add a note on my page to call that out.
As Bigtrout stated, it's best to confirm each pin/wire. Here's the annotated board in case you run into any other wiring issues.
upload_2019-7-7_12-28-18.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaRaider44 @MichaelLane
I have DS18b20 probe connected to Temp1 (J14) on ML HAT, on Temperature tab the Sensor drop down box doesn't have anything. Also Setting/Connectors doesn't have any inlets/Outlets set. I would need to set that to tell what GPIO pin is connect to the sensor right?

And based on this video, sensor should just regcognize, maybe its my sensor?

Capture.PNG

Enable the equipment module under configuration section and reload ref-pi. it’s required for temperature subsystem

OP
OP
J

JT26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperature use to work till I wipe the DB(b/c i forgot the login) and upgrade Reef-pi to version 3.4.

The temperature probe sensor is not picking up.
  • On Configuration Tab, I have Temperature check under capabilities
  • On Temperature tab, there is a sensor drop down box and It usually show up there, nothing is showing up now.
Anything else I have to do? 0 Errors on Configuration, Errors tab.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back