OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pca9685 address is configurable in this hat ?
Hi Ranjib, not on on the Reef-PI_HAT but yes on the Reef-PI_PWM module.

ps: Short question, how do I clean all settings in Reef-PI (I know it's written somewhere, but where?). Just upgraded to latest PI3 2.0 version, but am having some issues with the old settings so better start from scratch.

LionHeart2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ranjib, not on on the Reef-PI_HAT but yes on the Reef-PI_PWM module.

ps: Short question, how do I clean all settings in Reef-PI (I know it's written somewhere, but where?). Just upgraded to latest PI3 2.0 version, but am having some issues with the old settings so better start from scratch.
reef-pi stores all its data in the file /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db. This file, along with the specific version of reef-pi which created the database file, can always recreate a reef-pi controller. Older reef-pi versions are available in github. Thus, users only have to make a backup of the database file periodically to backup their controller.

Found that in the first guide under testing[emoji4]

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reef-pi stores all its data in the file /var/lib/reef-pi/reef-pi.db. This file, along with the specific version of reef-pi which created the database file, can always recreate a reef-pi controller. Older reef-pi versions are available in github. Thus, users only have to make a backup of the database file periodically to backup their controller.

Found that in the first guide under testing[emoji4]
thanks!
sudo mv reef-pi.db backup
sudo systemctl restart reef-pi.service

And now I have a clean reef-pi :)

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm that the Reef-PI_PWM module is working :)

In the picture below you can also see that only power and a signal to the relay module are required (no GND)
upload_2018-12-6_12-4-24.png

I will make 2 changes to the final PWM version:
1) Move 2 transistor as their solder points can collide with the DS18B20 interface connector
2) Some improvements on the silkscreen

Then I will release all files on Github as v1.0

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the added attachment should be readable. Do note following (out of preliminary documentation):

It should be noted that only very small 2.5mm plugs can be used due to the small distance between the PWM connectors. (Present view is CUIinc MP-2511, https://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail/490-MP-2511).

So if you intend to use the connectors as shown on the PWM board and you want to use >8 ports to order these at the same time as well. I'm planning to make some 3D printable housing for this connector to insert and detach from the PWM board

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the added attachment should be readable. Do note following (out of preliminary documentation):

It should be noted that only very small 2.5mm plugs can be used due to the small distance between the PWM connectors. (Present view is CUIinc MP-2511, https://www.mouser.at/ProductDetail/490-MP-2511).

So if you intend to use the connectors as shown on the PWM board and you want to use >8 ports to order these at the same time as well. I'm planning to make some 3D printable housing for this connector to insert and detach from the PWM board

This is looking simply outstanding!
I just hope the 2.5mm plugs do not present any issue as a number of people using 3.5mm plugs on their reef-pi builds have had multiple issues and moved away from them.

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is looking simply outstanding!
I just hope the 2.5mm plugs do not present any issue as a number of people using 3.5mm plugs on their reef-pi builds have had multiple issues and moved away from them.
Yes, that's related to my earlier statement about housing and connectors. If you look at the fritzing boards, they use simple 2.54mm connectors. My thinking is how to connect the PCBA's to the connectors in a housing with sufficient cooling and water resistance. Personally I would not connect the PCBA's directly to the external equipment but preferable via water resistance connectors.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's related to my earlier statement about housing and connectors. If you look at the fritzing boards, they use simple 2.54mm connectors. My thinking is how to connect the PCBA's to the connectors in a housing with sufficient cooling and water resistance. Personally I would not connect the PCBA's directly to the external equipment but preferable via water resistance connectors.

Ahhh... yes, I now recall the concern about the connectors you expressed earlier. I did some thinking on the connectors, at that time, but forgot it was for this thread. Perhaps I'm watching too many threads for the good of my own head! Lol
There are many, many water resistant connectors such as those used in automobiles and boats. The trick is going to be finding one or two that can be mounted in a housing and that do not break the bank. I'll do some research on these and, hopefully, I'll have the time to do so today. Thanks for the work you're doing!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wykat - is the attachment along the lines of what you're looking to find?

Attachments

• Switchcraft_EN2_NPB_601_web-318775.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 124
OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wykat - is the attachment along the lines of what you're looking to find?
I have no clear preference at the moment. The connector you mention with IP68 is definitely a good thing. When searching for IP68 connector on Aliexpress there is also an interesting (blue) SP13 type of connector with cap. Also the discussion on the mini XLR connector is interesting. I'm a little puzzled on this topic at the moment;

- Water tight may be good to protect on water spoiling over the connectors which in my opinion should be avoided by looking downward. I think with a good housing design including cabling, spoiling water over connectors could be avoided.
- It's a kind of balance between size, cost and quality especially when we have a large number of connectors. Especially screwing options (IP68) require much more space then a clicking option (XLR)

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone point me in the right direction to find the angled 2 x10 relay interface header? All i can find is the male version.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I've looked on ebay and they all come from China. I was hoping to find some in the US that won't take forever to arrive. I may end up just soldering wires to the board and then running them to a terminal block.
Yes I also couldn't find it outside of China, that's why I didn't have that connector on the 1st prototype board. Basically you can also use a male connector but my preference was female to avoid potential short cuts. Shouldn't be a big issue however. I've also stated that in the building documentation that you can use alternative connectors with 2.54mm pitch as well. :)

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back