OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just uploaded a preliminary document I made for the v0.2 layout but the changes to v1.0 are minimal. On page 6 chapter 3 you can see location of pin 1. It should also be written on the silk screen:

upload_2018-12-22_9-29-41.png

after installation of the PCA9685 I recommend to test for any potential short cuts and if ok run an i2cdetect test. It will give a random i2c address since the resistor array is still missing but you can see if the chip is working. I didn't solder the J1 pins, just inserted it with some pressure from the side with some external wiring to the Reef-PI_HAT and that worked for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, no need to use a screw. I didn't have one on my first prototype. There is also no cooling function on the PCB as the max current for 16 channels is just 160mA (10V/1K per channel)

[Edit]small note on the documentation, in chapter 7 below table 9: checklist the remarks *1 and *3 are reversed since the text RN1 has moved to the opposite side in PCB layout v1.0 because RN1 now indicates the common power to the Resistor Network[/Edit]

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following will use in my board is there a preferred vendor? Awesome stuff
Not sure if I understand y0ur question o_O
For the bare PCB boards I now use PCBWAY.com Previously I used JLCPCB.com, but after 1 shipment went completely wrong and no real support I changed to PCBWAY. both companies are ok with the zip files. The nice thing with JLCPCB is that you can verify the gerber files in the zip files online. PCBWAY checks offline but more precise.
For the components there are links in the Bill Of Material (.csv files). Most components I source from MOUSER, tried Digi-key once but that went completely wrong because of customs. MOUSER add's VAT for the specific country they ship to, Digi-key doesn't so you may end up with custom problems but if not it's probably cheaper.

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah poorly worded question for sure. I was wondering about the boards PCBWAY sounds good thanks for the response. Have you figured out an average build cost with components?

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah poorly worded question for sure. I was wondering about the boards PCBWAY sounds good thanks for the response. Have you figured out an average build cost with components?
That's a difficult question to answer due to following parameters:
1) Shipment costs
1a) for bare PCB's the cost of the individual boards is the same for 10 as for 1, the main cost driver is the shipping cost
1b) when you order components at mouser (I believe >60Eur to Austria) then shipment costs are for free. When below I believe it was around 30Eur just for shipment.

2) Ordered quantities
There are big component cost differences based on ordered quantities. So if you just order 1 component for 1 board, it's definitely much more expensive then if you order a larger badge either for multiple boards or for different boards (e.g. capacitors, resistors, transistor, etc.)

theatrus once gave a nice link were he calculated the PH board components, never used that link myself but probably will do in the future
Thanks for the Mouser BOM - I took your part selections and dumped them into OctoPart:

https://octopart.com/bom-tool/CcN6mMHD

Outside of the ICs, most of the parts can of course be second/third/fourth sourced from the manufacturer of your choice depending on stock.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check screamingcircuits.com this week, they have pretty reasonable pricing.
I never did this because it’s just cheaper to buy the PCA9685 breakout board for uses of the pwm signal directly. Like the Blueacro drivers. I apologize if others were looking forward to seeing the results.

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did this because it’s just cheaper to buy the PCA9685 breakout board for uses of the pwm signal directly. Like the Blueacro drivers. I apologize if others were looking forward to seeing the results.
eehh, just the breakout board will not help you. Yes will be interesting how buddy. comes along.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wykat I'm having an issue getting my dosing pumps sorted out.
I can't separate them from both running at the same time.
I have checked my wiring and it looks fine nothing is reversed and the L293D is oriented correctly according to the silkscreen layout on the pi hat. I was able to set up the ghost equipment outlet and can get both pumps to run in different directions. The problem is getting them to run separately. I noticed that in your build guide you use GPIO 18 and the @Ranjib guide uses both 18 and 19. I have tried doing it both ways with GPIO 18 being the only one that will run the pumps. Selecting GPIO 19 from the jacks section has no effect on running either pump.
Is there something I'm missing in the software or something in the wiring?
Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wykat I'm having an issue getting my dosing pumps sorted out.
I can't separate them from both running at the same time.
I have checked my wiring and it looks fine nothing is reversed and the L293D is oriented correctly according to the silkscreen layout on the pi hat. I was able to set up the ghost equipment outlet and can get both pumps to run in different directions. The problem is getting them to run separately. I noticed that in your build guide you use GPIO 18 and the @Ranjib guide uses both 18 and 19. I have tried doing it both ways with GPIO 18 being the only one that will run the pumps. Selecting GPIO 19 from the jacks section has no effect on running either pump.
Is there something I'm missing in the software or something in the wiring?
Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG
Unfortunately I can't copy the table here, but have a look at the HAT documentation 1.1 chapter 5.3. I may need to look into how Reef-PI controls the dosing motors because if I recall correctly I tested them as relay function.
Basically GPIO 18 just enables/disables the 2 interfaces. Motor #1 is controlled via GPIO13 and 14, motor #2 via GPIO15 and 16.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't copy the table here, but have a look at the HAT documentation 1.1 chapter 5.3. I may need to look into how Reef-PI controls the dosing motors because if I recall correctly I tested them as relay function.
Basically GPIO 18 just enables/disables the 2 interfaces. Motor #1 is controlled via GPIO13 and 14, motor #2 via GPIO15 and 16.

Ok if I understand correctly.

I enable the L293d with GPIO 18 and have the pumps set to a constant on state in the dosing tab, using GPIOs 13, 14, 15 and 16, I can control each pump's direction and speed with the equipment tab and then use timers to control the on off times and duration.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok if I understand correctly.

I enable the L293d with GPIO 18 and have the pumps set to a constant on state in the dosing tab, using GPIOs 13, 14, 15 and 16, I can control each pump's direction and speed with the equipment tab and then use timers to control the on off times and duration.
Why does each pump need 2 signals?

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does each pump need 2 signals?

That's what Im trying to figure out.
With @wykat 's board there's only one GPIO pin (pin 18 uses pwm) for dosing control and it seems both pumps are controlled with relays or timers in the reef-pi software.
In @Ranjib 's build he used both the pwm pins (18 and 19) to control dosing pumps via the dosing pump tab. Each pwm pin controls one of the pumps and can be controlled independently through the dosing tab.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what Im trying to figure out.
With @wykat 's board there's only one GPIO pin (pin 18 uses pwm) for dosing control and it seems both pumps are controlled with relays or timers in the reef-pi software.
In @Ranjib 's build he used both the pwm pins (18 and 19) to control dosing pumps via the dosing pump tab. Each pwm pin controls one of the pumps and can be controlled independently through the dosing tab.
That would make sense

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would make sense
This was an old discussion with @Ranjib as the circuitry at that time used 2 GPIO ports for each motor whereas Ranjib confirmed that Reef-PI only supports 1 direction for dosing. At that time I followed the 2 GPIO per motor with the capability of different directions and separate enable/disable signal. This is one of the things I would like to change as it could release 3 GPIO ports for Reef-PI_HAT v2 (for additional dosing motors and/or ATO interfaces). Nevertheless by controlling the signals via the relay function you can use 2 directions.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wykat

This is what I've been doing to get the dosing pumps separated.

I set up 2 dosing pump profiles in the dosing pump tab. Pump 1 turns on at 5 mins after after the hour and runs for 15 seconds and pump 2 turns on at 10 minutes after the hour and runs for 20 seconds.
I have timers set up to turn pump 2 off at 5 minutes after the hour so only pump 1 runs.
At 10 minutes after the hour I have a timer set to turn pump 1 off so only pump 2 runs.

Is this how this was intended to work?
It seems to be the best solution I can find for separating the pumps. I can adjust the timers, duration and speed of the pumps individually to get the correct dosing amounts of 2 part that I want.

OP
OP
W

wykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@wykat

This is what I've been doing to get the dosing pumps separated.

I set up 2 dosing pump profiles in the dosing pump tab. Pump 1 turns on at 5 mins after after the hour and runs for 15 seconds and pump 2 turns on at 10 minutes after the hour and runs for 20 seconds.
I have timers set up to turn pump 2 off at 5 minutes after the hour so only pump 1 runs.
At 10 minutes after the hour I have a timer set to turn pump 1 off so only pump 2 runs.

Is this how this was intended to work?
It seems to be the best solution I can find for separating the pumps. I can adjust the timers, duration and speed of the pumps individually to get the correct dosing amounts of 2 part that I want.
Sounds ok to me, that's how I had tested the motors as my headless PI was around 20 meters from my PC, so this was the easiest way to test.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back