Reef Rock 2.1 Aquascaping

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I've browsed almost every thread in here, a few other places, and watched BRS videos. I even watched the MACNA presentation on aquascaping, but since I'm absolutely NOT an artist, I still have some questions. I'm pretty sure I'm going Reef Rock 2.1. I see how Ryan at BRS used acrylic tubes and putty. My question is what do you experienced reefers use? I would prefer to use a putty/ glue so it's not as permanent in case I want to change things around later. What tips/ ideas do you use in your own tanks? What is the best putty that holds and works with Reef Rock 2.1? (again, i've seen the videos and read, but there's nothing like experience teaching the newbs).

Thanks!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres actually a new product that is basically these plastic beads that you melt in warm water to a putty like substance and you can use that to glue the rocks together and its reusable... but before that I've used putty and it works well i don't really have a specific brand though, because i don't use a lot...

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres actually a new product that is basically these plastic beads that you melt in warm water to a putty like substance and you can use that to glue the rocks together and its reusable... but before that I've used putty and it works well i don't really have a specific brand though, because i don't use a lot...

So no real need for all the drilling and acrylic rods and stuff?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no need to do it unless you really want too... in my opinion if you're going to build tall pillars and aquaecapes that will lack stability it is worth the drilling and placing the rods because it'll ensure no rocks fall and break the aquarium and will keep the rocks stable... but if you're doing a rock wall type scape its not 100% necessary it serves as insurance...

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my aqua scape using Thermomorph (which I think is the same plastic stuff as the reef welder) was easier than epoxy, didn't make my skimmer go nuts, nothing stuck on my fingers afterwards... Actually tumbled a couple rocks that where bonded with the plastic onto my concrete floor and they held together.

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two little fishes 4oz grey putty. Worked amazing on my reef saver

It bonds like rock hard though

Lesson learned: less is more! You don't need a lot

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there something that stays soft (non hardening putty) that will support a not so high structure?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm building something that needs to defy gravity I don't ever cement rocks together. You will regret it if you ever need to remove a rock. The 2.1 rock locks together pretty nicely, no epoxy needed.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless I'm building something that needs to defy gravity I don't ever cement rocks together. You will regret it if you ever need to remove a rock. The 2.1 rock locks together pretty nicely, no epoxy needed.

I agree. I don't want epoxy either, but there is one piece I just really want in a specific place and it seems a little bit like a teeter totter. I'd like to have something just to softly support it that won't harden... any ideas??

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case a little epoxy to shim the wobbly piece would accomplish what you want.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used stuff that was like cement. My aquascape has a lot of shelf rock. I was going for a structure that had piles of spaces to provide hide outs fro fish and had many areas for coral placement. So a structurally strong connection was needed. It did work great though.

If you are using roundish shaped rocks, they often will fit together pretty securely because the irregularities in the rock can be used to lock them together. You can use just a bit of bonding material to make a pretty strong connection.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back