"Reef Safe" Vendors

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am a father of 3 and nothing is out of the question when it comes to my children’s safety. Arm bands are a good idea just like Chuck E. Cheese. If u don’t have one and are with children trying to leave we get an officer to check out the situation. Just to make sure all is well. I really hope a parent wouldn’t refuse extra safety when it comes to wearing them. Heck people proudly wear them at theme parks and carnivals to get on the rides. Also a designated area for lost children isn’t a bad idea. It only takes a second for things to go sideways. Not a flawless plan but a plan to build on and get the discussions going. Things can’t change without getting them out in the open.
You are correct it’s not a flawless plan, I would have hoped for more suggestions rather than ... nothing has happened so let’s just not do anything.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct it’s not a flawless plan, I would have hoped for more suggestions rather than ... nothing has happened so let’s just not do anything.
FWIW. I think we are currently doing many many things to ensure the safety of children.
Not wanting to add additional rules to an already regulated(and seemingly safe)situation, is not the same thing as doing nothing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When someone gets convicted of stealing, do you ban them from ever entering a store?
You have repeatedly mentioned banning people from things. I just want to be sure you realize that the proposed plan wouldn't ban anyone from the events.

We're talking about having marked safe zones where children can go and armbands.

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As another father, I definitely see the value of matching wrist bands on minors and their guardian and additional security.
As for the "reef safe vendor" it would probably be better to have a security station (or stations if the size of the site/event merited more than one) in the vendor area for the child to seek help rather than putting any onus on an individual, even a volunteer, vendor to take on the responsibility.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will stop anything from cutting them off just like when I take my kid to chucky cheese they give us bracelets, someone could easy cut it off him but if someone tried to remove him from venue they would be unable too.

None of these ideas are 100% but that does mean we shouldn’t use them, that would be like saying that hospitals, fire departments, other trade shows, and indoor playgrounds shouldn’t either, it’s just an added safeguard for parents.
@helen ann , I am trying to understand how this would work, but you still did not answer my questions. Most of the events we attend are in Florida and I would kinda like to know how this all will work since it appears to already be in the works for frag show next year.

Here they are again:
1)Would the wristbands be optional? Can I refuse it when I enter?
2)And if they are optional, what keeps someone from just cutting a kids wrist band off? ***Somewhat answered***
3)Sometimes my husband and 8 year old tag along to frag shows. How will it work with 2 parents at an event? Or if my older kids (18 and 16 years old) take my 8 year old?

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@helen ann , I am trying to understand how this would work, but you still did not answer my questions. Most of the events we attend are in Florida and I would kinda like to know how this all will work since it appears to already be in the works for frag show next year.

Here they are again:
1)Would the wristbands be optional? Can I refuse it when I enter?
2)And if they are optional, what keeps someone from just cutting a kids wrist band off? ***Somewhat answered***
3)Sometimes my husband and 8 year old tag along to frag shows. How will it work with 2 parents at an event? Or if my older kids (18 and 16 years old) take my 8 year old?
The plan was to create a safe area at the kids booth and raffle area as the *** is a smaller show and a very open space and easily for a child to find these areas and we plan to issue arms bands.

1)Would the wristbands be optional? Can I refuse it when I enter? We, can not force you to participate.

2)And if they are optional, what keeps someone from just cutting a kids wrist band off? Nothing keeps anyone from cutting them off except us as attendees, vendors, show helpers watching for that to happen. (Maybe we stamp those who don’t participate with a fish stamp and those children aren’t to be checked when removed from venue, but I do know that here where I live you can not refuse the armbands and if you do then you aren’t allowed in).

3)Sometimes my husband and 8 year old tag along to frag shows. How will it work with 2 parents at an event? I can look into multiple bracelets for 1 kid’s bracelet. Right now they only issue 1 parent a bracelet at other places that use this that I have been too.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have repeatedly mentioned banning people from things. I just want to be sure you realize that the proposed plan wouldn't ban anyone from the events.

We're talking about having marked safe zones where children can go and armbands.
What event has transpired that makes armbands and safe zones necessary?
It really seems to me people are looking to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As another father, I definitely see the value of matching wrist bands on minors and their guardian and additional security.
As for the "reef safe vendor" it would probably be better to have a security station (or stations if the size of the site/event merited more than one) in the vendor area for the child to seek help rather than putting any onus on an individual, even a volunteer, vendor to take on the responsibility.
Yes, I agree a security area would be ideal but I suggested that to people and had pretty much same response I am getting here and then the whole question became the cost of having and that cost being passed to attendees with a higher ticket cost.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's genius to think proactively. I'm all for that.

BUT anywhere there are children, there will be child predators. They are in schools, churches, day cares and clubs. Teaching you children how to be safe is important. Many parents don't want to scare their children, so they avoid the conversation. But if you don't teach your children about dangers, you make them an easier target. Roads are dangerous. We don't pretend they don't exist. We teach our kids about them and how to take precautions. I think the same should be done with any dangers, including child predators. One warning flag to keep in mind is if someone wants to spend more time with your child than you want to. Question their motives and monitor what's occurring.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No event that I am aware other than what @CheckeredPants mentioned but that it doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t happen, just like when I go to chucky cheese and they require that you wear them. Did something happen at chucky cheese or any other place that you are required to wear them, I don’t know but the safety measure is in place.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No event that I am aware other than what @CheckeredPants mentioned but that it doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t happen, just like when I go to chucky cheese and they require that you wear them. Did something happen at chucky cheese or any other place that you are required to wear them, I don’t know but the safety measure is in place.
I would be willing to bet my life, that the bracelet policy at Chuck E. Cheese has more to do with Chuck E. Cheese’s liability insurance than it does with protecting children. The priority at Chuck e Cheese is money not children.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's genius to think proactively. I'm all for that.

BUT anywhere there are children, there will be child predators. They are in schools, churches, day cares and clubs. Teaching you children how to be safe is important. Many parents don't want to scare their children, so they avoid the conversation. But if you don't teach your children about dangers, you make them an easier target. Roads are dangerous. We don't pretend they don't exist. We teach our kids about them and how to take precautions. I think the same should be done with any dangers, including child predators. One warning flag to keep in mind is if someone wants to spend more time with your child than you want to. Question their motives and monitor what's occurring.
Yes, our responsibility to teach our children the dangers and what to do. I check venues when I go into them and tell him if we should get separated go here and I will go there too whether it’s a designated area the venue offers or we just pick a stop. He is well aware if some should touch him or anything else he is to scream. He is taught to never go with strangers no matter what but I also he can be stupid sometimes and not always listen do if having an armband prevents him from doing so, then I feel a little better but ultimately it is mine abs his responsibility to make the right choices to keep him safe.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be willing to bet my life, that the bracelet policy at Chuck E. Cheese has more to do with Chuck E. Cheese’s liability insurance than it does with protecting children. The priority at Chuck e Cheese is money not children.

This isn’t just chucky cheese, all indoor play areas require that here in South Florida. We have been to other trade shows that have these ‘safe areas’.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I answered that question at some length in THIS POST. Rather than rewriting that post, I'll add some points that I think are worth considering.

1) Just because we don't know of incidents at a show doesn't mean they didn't happen. Sexual crimes are among the least reported crimes due to a number of things. There was at least 1 incident mentioned above, so it sadly makes sense that others have likely occurred.
2) Many organizations (I mentioned my own church in the previous post) recognize that waiting until there's an incident means waiting until it's already too late for someone. The ONUS is on the organization to be sure that measures are in place to prevent abuse from occurring.
3) There is NO substitute for a parent being responsible for their own child. I think everyone in this conversation knows that. The primary responsibility of keeping a child safe is on the parent. However, recognizing that responsibility doesn't mean that organizations should not have a plan in place for child safety.
4) Having a plan is better than not having a plan. If there are aspects of the plan that could be better, then dialogue about that is helpful and necessary. I'm not sure I understand why anyone would argue against having a plan.

KLaRue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My priority as a parent attending the event isn’t dependent on Chuck E Cheese or, more specifically to this discussion, the reef-related event organizers’ priority. It’s the safety of my child(ren). If I were to go to an event that implemented some of the measures being discussed here, I would be able to relax a little more and be able to enjoy the event even more. And the enjoyment of the event by the patrons and the vendors should be the priority of the event’s organizers.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it help if I listed all companies or organizations that have this type of thing in place?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t just chucky cheese, all indoor play areas require that here in South Florida. We have been to other trade shows that have these ‘safe areas’.

Precautions are great. I 100% support any precautions a facility wants to take to prevent tragedies. I don't have any issues with the bracelets or having people working the event wearing particular colors that make them obvious to see. I'd be more interested in whether they have a policy in place in case a kid does go missing. How do they shut the place down? The matching bracelets is pretty practical easy precaution. However, I know the first thing my kid does is take off his arm band when we get inside somewhere.

I agree though, the onus is really on the parent. I've told my child to look for mommies if he gets lost and tell them he doesn't know where is his mommy is. At the age of 5, I feel like this is more age appropriate than finding a station and is a more general rule to remember than the specifics of whatever place we are in. And if he's at an event, it's probably something where other kids would be at, thus other parents. In general, I'd imagine he'd be in much closer proximity to other parents than to safe zones.

Having a policy with how to locate and reunite lost kids and families is super important for the facility though. Perhaps part of that plan would be a safe zone, but it could be something else. Again, this isn't a unique problem to reef shows. Anywhere you go, there will be child predators. Stores, malls, restaurants, etc. I want my kid to be as safe as possible even if places don't have policies in place to deal with the unthinkable. And if they want to implement policies, I'm all for that.

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precautions are great. I 100% support any precautions a facility wants to take to prevent tragedies. I don't have any issues with the bracelets or having people working the event wearing particular colors that make them obvious to see. I'd be more interested in whether they have a policy in place in case a kid does go missing. How do they shut the place down? The matching bracelets is pretty practical easy precaution. However, I know the first thing my kid does is take off his arm band when we get inside somewhere.

I agree though, the onus is really on the parent. I've told my child to look for mommies if he gets lost and tell them he doesn't know where is his mommy is. At the age of 5, I feel like this is more age appropriate than finding a station and is a more general rule to remember than the specifics of whatever place we are in. And if he's at an event, it's probably something where other kids would be at, thus other parents. In general, I'd imagine he'd be in much closer proximity to other parents than to safe zones.

Having a policy with how to locate and reunite lost kids and families is super important for the facility though. Perhaps part of that plan would be a safe zone, but it could be something else. Again, this isn't a unique problem to reef shows. Anywhere you go, there will be child predators. Stores, malls, restaurants, etc. I want my kid to be as safe as possible even if places don't have policies in place to deal with the unthinkable. And if they want to implement policies, I'm all for that.
I don’t know if there is a procedure in place for lost children at reef shows, I know at *** we didn’t have one but we will now. What that final plan will be I dunno but it will be something.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if there is a procedure in place for lost children at reef shows, I know at *** we didn’t have one but we will now. What that final plan will be I dunno but it will be something.

I think that's a WONDERFUL thing to do.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW I just seen this and started reading then had to stop. I have attended a couple of frag shows and they are packed!
Kids are curious and easily distracted and so are we, then add trying to squeeze and jockey to get a glimpse at the corals.
Then their is the raffles with everyone bunched up and pushing the stage or moving with the crowd from one table to the next draw. Total bedlam and madness, this is not a family friendly environment BUT SHOULD BE!
Venues should first hold them in larger halls, A kids area should also have Paid professionals to watch all the kids, all of my daughters (3) took child care classes in school and worked in the latchkey programs and became certified for just such events.

Now CORAL VENDORS are NOT SAFE havens because they volunteered, a registered offender is one that got caught! :mad:
and found guilty I might add.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back