Reef Safe With Caution Fish (best and worst)

Do you keep "Reef Safe with Caution" fish?

• YES (tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 317 62.3%
  • NO

Votes: 177 34.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.9%

• Total voters

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit I've never had issue with a foxface. The one I've got now has been in my system for almost 9 years. Also have a blueface angel that will certainly pick at soft corals and like LPS (never tested) but doesn't touch SPS. The humu and assassi triggers don't touch any corals but we all know what they prefer.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a bicolor blenny, but after reading about them nipping Im glad I went with a tailspot blenny. I haven't seen him nipping at anything yet

2_much_junk_in_the_sump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptaisia eating file fish. Had one, ate all the visible aptaisia then started nipping Acans... Lost an entire colony unfortunately. Still have a few aptaisia popping and considered Peppermint shrimp, but they are in the same boat from my experience.
Not to get too off topic, but nudis work great IME. It seems to be a yearly battle though... buy nudis, 6 months later all visible aptaisia gone, 3 months later all nudis die, 3 months later aptaisia pop up again, buy nudis again, repeat. I guess you have to think of it like a yearly subscription, but they don't mess with corals so that is huge.

dwfain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reef tanks and have One-spot Foxface in both as well as a Melanurus Wrasse in both with no issues. I also have a Bi-color Blenny in one with no issues. I do periodically stick a leaf of organic Romaine lettuce in there and they will devour it along with the Tangs.

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cbb made fast work of my pink hawaiian feather duster, which I really liked, yet didn't touch the few aptasia in the tank. Will not get rid of it regardless. Love my cbb. Once I got it eating my home made frozen it eats like a pig. When I set up my 180 I want a second.

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of my fish are “with caution”. Valentini puffer, Ebili dwarf angel, Caribbean hawk fish, and a golden dwarf moray! The one I have the most trouble with is my dwarf angel picking at acans and my rock flowers. Other than that, no issues with fish picking on corals. But shrimp beware, I’ve seen my hawk fish take out a very large cleaner shrimp with ease. Came home to him looking quite plump and the poor shrimp’s antenna hanging out of his mouth. My harlequin shrimp lives safely in my sump.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be the outlier when it comes to a foxface... Had a magnificent for a month or so, but he decided that trachys were his favorite snack and ate my 2 nicest (interpret expensive) large trachys. Let's just say he ate more than he was worth, so back to the LFS he went.
I currently have a coral beauty, which has been a model citizen!

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half of my fish are “with caution”. Valentini puffer, Ebili dwarf angel, Caribbean hawk fish, and a golden dwarf moray! The one I have the most trouble with is my dwarf angel picking at acans and my rock flowers. Other than that, no issues with fish picking on corals. But shrimp beware, I’ve seen my hawk fish take out a very large cleaner shrimp with ease. Came home to him looking quite plump and the poor shrimp’s antenna hanging out of his mouth. My harlequin shrimp lives safely in my sump.
My yellow hawkfish did the same with the 3 so called "peppermint shrimp" I had. Made a quick meal of them and I couldn't have been any happier.

Rocketfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I ended up doing!
Not to get too off topic, but nudis work great IME. It seems to be a yearly battle though... buy nudis, 6 months later all visible aptaisia gone, 3 months later all nudis die, 3 months later aptaisia pop up again, buy nudis again, repeat. I guess you have to think of it like a yearly subscription, but they don't mess with corals so that is huge.

dsims369

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I've got a spiny box puffer, humu trigger, and coral beauty and haven't had any issues with my corals! Can't say the same for the clean up crew though :(

I've also tried a boxfish, blue spot puffer, and a filefish but they didn't work out, too much nipping on the corals.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A very long time ago, I added a pygmy angel fish. Well behaved at first. Then ate my acans, and bubble corals. Never again! Agree with the others, there's too many reef safe fish for me to ever deal with that again!

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did retail, I always told people to pick the one species they wanted above all else, and build the tank around that.
Some fish I have kept in reefs, and a lot more I never I never photographed.

FB_IMG_1444285662078.jpg

null_zpsa36fc1f9.JPG

bluejaw.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on the reason the "With Caution" is listed with the fish... Really, what does that even mean? A lot of fish have been labeled "Reef safe with caution" because they were labeled that years ago in books that have outdated information.

(Note: I highly recommend riding the old books and magazines, there is tons for great information in them that still holds up or can help us learn even today.)

I have a coral beauty. I have keep one is every reef tank I have ever had. They are "with caution" because they will nip and/or eat coral polyps. I have never had an issue because I feed my fish well, therefore they won't do that.

Too often in this hobby, we the hobbyist, repeat what we have heard without ever bothering to see if it is true on any level. This makes information difficult to know if it is accurate. Some fish that are considered "reef safe" can be a big problem. I had a yellow tang years ago I had to get rid of. It ate coral polyps like a snack. I witnessed it over and over. When it was replaced the new YT never touched a coral. The books say they are reef safe, but some fish don't read the books. Like people some are nice and some are jerks...then some are much worse...

So, do I think the term "reef safe with caution" should be used? ... Yes. IF!!!! the caution is spelled out clearly!

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filefish worked wonders in my main mixed reef tank until all aptaisia were seeming gone. Then he developed an appetite for Zoas and acans. Put my fish trap in, and he was out in 2 minutes and into my LPS tank for a month. Started to notice more aptaisia back in the main tank, so I put him back in. Now he totally ignores the aptaisia and goes straight for the zoas. He also seems a little wiser now, and stays clear of the fish trap. I might have to cut back on feeding the tank and load up the trap. We’ll see.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have an earmuff in one tank and a melanarus in the other. Except for snails, they're very good. The earmuff though will not let me keep a clam on the sandbed. Doesn't touch them if they're on the rock...go figure!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. Do you keep "Reef Safe with Caution" fish? If so what fish and what's your experience with them been?

Yes and have Flame angel, coral beauty angel and potters angel

2. What would you say are some good fish to take a chance on and some that are a bad bet?

Good: Potters and Flame

Bad: Foxface (scribbled and gold flake), banner butterfly, Majestic angel and moorish idol)

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copperband butterfly, melanarus wrasse and a bicolor foxface and haven't had any issues. I keep them all well fed and happy and it seems to be working!

deahttub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a longnose butterfly with no issues for years and a regal. Regal ate every zoa, but nothing else. Had both for several years

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lemon peel. Flame and African flame back in a 50 gal tk with mixed corals. The lemon peel went for my tachyphillia but nothing else and the others are model citizens

legendhua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back