Reef Spotlight - May 2011 - "Amuze"

REEFCRAFT

Reefer & Realtor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dave, glad to see you got Reef of the Month before the tank went down. Nice to see a local on ROTM. Thanks for the Milli and SSC too they are doing great!

Thanks. Glad to hear they are doing well. I'll have to hit you up for a frag of them after the move. ;)

Why is the tank coming down?

No worries, just relocating. Lol. :)

Congrats! Your tank is actually what inspired me to go with two rock islands for my recent 125gallon build.

Thanks! Look forward to seeing all the additions you'll be adding with all that extra space. :)

Last edited:

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! Tank is similar dimensions to the tank I want to do next.

hkornel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave,

nice setup, and lovely tank!

I saw you have a powder blue as well. How do you feed him and did you have any ich issues with the fish?

My one is about 3 month now by me and it had no problems till I turned my UV off. After that it started. it eats, feels good, so no worries, but I'd like to finish with this issue.
And honestly I don't know why it happened. I had some tangs before, but no problem at all.
I turned the UV back, feed garlic with frozen food, and ocean two and one pellets.
Now it seems better. Yesterday I added a cleaner wrasse (saw you have as well) and his doing a fantastic job there. Today it has half of the ich on body.... :)
I just worried about my clams now....and worried about the powder blue when it might come back, or when I can turn off the UV.

What do you recommend, or any of you girls???

check my tank vid here, but its 1 month older now: [video]http://youtu.be/Y56B1P6pOqA[/video]

REEFCRAFT

Reefer & Realtor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I fed the tangs with rods frozen food 3x a week and pellets the rest of the time. Never had an ich issue with the powder blue. He was eaten bu my LTA instead. Lol. I'm sorry to say that if your tang has ich, he's probably a goner soon. The UV being off isn't what brought it on. Something is stressing it out. If you've ruled out tank size, aggression, water quality and other basic issues, you might want to make sure you don't have a stray current. Make sure the tank is grounded. This is forgotten about quite often.

I checked out your vid and you have a beautiful tank! :) I love watching your tangs swim about. One thing I noticed is that your pbt and purple tang seem to show aggression toward each other.

Stpatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. Good to see the leds kicking but. Are you happy with them? I have two AI sol blues. Jury is still out :)

REEFCRAFT

Reefer & Realtor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank. Good to see the leds kicking but. Are you happy with them? I have two AI sol blues. Jury is still out :)

Thanks! I only use LED's to add a little extra pop when viewing with actinics on. This tank used all T5's over it before I switched back to MH's.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! The tank and aquascaping looks fantastic ... can't wait to see the next shallower reef and this one set-up again in the new home!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Congrats on being this month's reef spotlight!

Der ABT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definate congrats again Dave, I hope the house search is going well....

Whenever the new tank/move is done let me know, still have the frags/colonies i got from you that i would be happy to get back to its home.

REEFCRAFT

Reefer & Realtor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The tank is being re-worked now. I was able to modify the stand, sand it down and painted it. Now onto cleaning up the tank and buffing/polishing it. I'll post pics when I finish that part of it. It's turning out pretty decent and I'm happy.

REEFCRAFT

Reefer & Realtor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up taking a break and selling this tank. I currently have a Cardiff set up to keep me in it for a bit and I'm loving it. I do have much bigger plans in the future for a new larger system. Focusing more on equipment side of things for the future set up. It will be a simple and clean system, but very high end with no short cuts. No acrylic either. I've begun collecting chalices and acans again along with some SPS, but I'm keeping that limited for now. After everyone else's holiday is over, mine will begin. ;)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back