Reef tank fish additions

DevonC09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! It’s my first post so hopefully I’m using this right.

I have a 60 gallon reef tank- mostly softies- with nearly a dozen fish. I was looking for some midwater colorful fish I could add to the group. Here is what I currently have:
2- tomato clowns
3- blue green chromis
2- spot blenny
2- green clown goby
1- 6 line wrasse
1- flame cardinal
1- Watchman and pistol shrimp
1- Fire shrimp

I also had a flame hawkfish but I haven’t seen him in a couple days. Any suggestions would be helpful!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

You already have a lot of fish for 60g. I have five in my 65g, and that seems like a lot sometimes. Ok, I have two dwarf angels in the tank, but you still have a lot of fish, and adding one more might stress the newcomer and add to tank aggression. Have you thought about adding interesting urchins instead?

I'd also wait until you can find out what happened to your hawkfish -- and ensure the the disappearance wasn't caused by disease -- before adding in new tankmates (if you're not going to quarantine first).

OP
OP
D

DevonC09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

You already have a lot of fish for 60g. I have five in my 65g, and that seems like a lot sometimes. Ok, I have two dwarf angels in the tank, but you still have a lot of fish, and adding one more might stress the newcomer and add to tank aggression. Have you thought about adding interesting urchins instead?

I'd also wait until you can find out what happened to your hawkfish -- and ensure the the disappearance wasn't caused by disease -- before adding in new tankmates (if you're not going to quarantine first).
All my fish are very small, my chromis are the largest at maybe 2”. And everyone is quarantined for 2 weeks and FW dipped before being added to the tank.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my fish are very small, my chromis are the largest at maybe 2”. And everyone is quarantined for 2 weeks and FW dipped before being added to the tank.
Still agree with others...you are stocked unfortunately. The quarantine doesn't matter when it comes to stock amount.... Size doesn'talways equate to bioload in my experience either. Add more and play with fire imo.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sand sifter and 2 anemones with a couple turbo snails.
Oh then we've definitely got some room there imo. How bout a sand sifting Conch or a brittle / serpant star? I'd go right in on the latter were I you, there is lots of room for them in a 60 g and with the stock you have they are going to help munch up any leftover food/ detritus.

OP
OP
D

DevonC09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh then we've definitely got some room there imo. How bout a sand sifting Conch or a brittle / serpant star? I'd go right in on the latter were I you, there is lots of room for them in a 60 g and with the stock you have they are going to help munch up any leftover food/ detritus.
It’s a star! I might have a small emerald crab as well, but I only catch a glimpse of him occasionally so I’m not entirely sure he’s real

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a star! I might have a small emerald crab as well, but I only catch a glimpse of him occasionally so I’m not entirely sure he’s real
Oh yes understood, but in addition to the sand sifting star I would add a serpent or brittle star. Look em up, they are not going to attack your corals, and will seriously help in cleaning the tank. Fairly cheap and interesting species as well.

OP
OP
D

DevonC09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes understood, but in addition to the sand sifting star I would add a serpent or brittle star. Look em up, they are not going to attack your corals, and will seriously help in cleaning the tank. Fairly cheap and interesting species as well.
Ohh cool! Is there any other things you would suggest?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh cool! Is there any other things you would suggest?
Oh boy.....for certain lol. Love my inverts. Of course it all depends on if they will get the food they need. A 60G is a very flexible size tank imo. Your snail amount IMO could grow. Being that you have the sand sifting star and its doing well I would stay away from any sand dwelling types, so that the star remains well fed. Astrea or Trochus are my favorite that way. I would honestly start with the brittle or serpent star ( no need to direct feed) , and then if you feel it is doing well add a couple more snails.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree .
I don’t want bulldozers knocking everything over . The last was placed in solitary confinement and later placed up for adoption .
While tuxedo urchins are certainly expert hoarders and thieves, they're really too small to pick up rocks and even frags, although random plastic bits (surface skimmer; back chamber plug) in my Evo seem to be fair game. And my fire urchin is stunning, although I understand why someone wouldn't want the risk of envenomation by having one in their tank.

My abalone is the best algae eater I've ever seen. It's too big for anything less than 60g, though. Keyhole limpets (aka "elephant slugs") are really beautiful, and more kinetic than snails. They're also somewhat active during the day, which is a nice change from cowries and nocturnal brittle stars, which you may never see until lights out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back