Reef to Reef concerns

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really used to like this forum and the quality of information it provided.

However there are many issues I have.

The amount of condensing responses to posts is flabbergasting. Yes, it is the internet, but there is a very succinct delineation between the ability to have an opinion and the allowed perception to the members that opinion can carry regulated by mods/favorited members. Too many firefighters and not enough fires.

The livestock/equipment forums’ lack of accountability. It is nothing short of blasphemous that doctored pictures of sale items are allowed within those threads. Nothing short of misleading, and this website is vicariously liable for that entirely. Let alone the deregulation of “designer” items that members sell that are no where near the quality of this found from a reputable online seller/LFS. There is no accountability of the parent site, as they require a 3rd party to complete transactions. Any reputable site would require a payment method on file for compliance.

3rd, and purportedly the most important, the inability to cancel an account. The site will tell you it’s due to make sure that duplicate accounts can’t be created/hacked to falsify identity for selling/trading/reputation, but that could be easily circumvented by not allowing that username to be reused or an extended security measure. Ostensibly, this is due to the lack of the site wanting to quantify the expense for supporting the extra security features, or . . . it would affect their ability to sell your data. Think about that.

(Those 300+ Gal tank builds look great mods)

What account do you have on the internet that doesn’t allow you to cancel, and assure you deletion of your information.

Ostensibly, this website has your MAC address. . . Your IP address. . . By feature propagation, your home address and your favorite restaurant. I don’t trust a site that doesn’t explicitly state that they won’t use this information after the TOS is nullified by a mutual agreement to leave the site. A wonder why people are flocking to Facebook/Reddit.

I don’t care what you could possibly retort with. Fact is, if the site isn’t willing to delete the information from the database upon a mutual disengagement , there is absolutely no reason to believe your information couldn’t be assimilated and sold. Period.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see where you are coming from I just wanted to make a few comments on my own opinion. I don't think people here are rude or condescending. Of course there will be a small minority who are but rude people are everywhere and I don't think that's r2r's fault. I have found this form to be extremely helpful in the time I've been on it. Reef 2 reef doesn't owe us anything this is a free site open for the public to use. Of course they do make revenue from ads and possibly selling data, but it's not like we are paying a fee. If they do sell our data it would be stated in the terms and conditions we have to accept when creating an account (correct me if I am wrong about that), so it would be smart not to create one if the first place if you have a problem with that. I do know that lots and lots of sites and companies sell our info including google and credit card companies.. that's reality unfortunately. I do agree it's weird that we cant delete our accounts. I didn't know that before reading your post. I think R2R should comment on why this is. I can't comment on the selling threads as I would personally never buy something from a stranger online, especially when the site holds no accountability and you are at the mercy of the seller and paypal.

Anyways, that's just my own 2 cents

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We really love feedback but want to make sure it's accurate info being shared as well. ;) Very sorry you're feeling this way about the community. You posted some inaccurate info that I will clear up.

1. We do not sell your data nor do we collect it. Your emails and private info will never be sold.

2. This site is running https so it's very safe by internet standards. Safe enough for all your major banks and credit card companies. We actually have an internet security professional on our admin team who has audited our site. Not sure how many other reefing sites have done that. :)

3. We don't allow account deletion for one reason. Because this is a forum and if someone deletes their account those conversations/threads they were involved with would seem pretty ridiculaous with that missing info. That being said you can log into your account and edit out any personal info you have provided, change the password, change your email to some made up email and log out for good.

Hope you can change your mind about the forum.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 55.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back