Reefer 525XL - Stocking List

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The current fish stock for my Red Sea 525XL (109gal DT, 139 total). Fish were added about 2 weeks apart in this order.

1st Group (Dr. Reef’s)
2x Banggai Cardinals
Yellow Watchman Goby
Springer Damsel

2nd Group (TSM Aquatics)
2x Occelaris Clownfish
Blue Hippo Tang

3rd Group (TSM Aquatics)
2x Lyretail Anthias
Royal Gramma
Orchid Dottyback
Aptasia Eating Filefish
Orangeback Fairy Wrasse

So far an absolutely peaceful tank. Big thanks for the vendors who provide quarantined fish, especially TSM Aquatics. I live about 40mins away so I’ve been able to order online and pick up at their shop, which is top notch.

I have the following en route:

Marine Collectors (I wanted to try all the vendors who provide QTed fish)
Melanarus Wrasse
3x Carberryi Anthias

(TSM Aquatics)
Red Firefish
Lawnmower Benny
Exquiste Wrasse

Last fish I want to add is probably a Yellow tang. Am I pretty much at my limit after all these fish? If anything, I hope to add a few more friendly flasher/fairy wrasses.

I run a Refugium, Skimmer, 25v UV, filter socks, media baskets with carbon.

I definitely feed on the heavy side but so far so good other then the diatom bloom in the initial weeks and I have a good amount of algae in my back walls and rocks (hence the Benny and soon Yellow tang).

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah that purchase was definitely a spur of the moment and I actually wish I could cancel it knowing that I can pickup QTed fish at TSM. I’ll be purchasing all my fish from there and highly recommend them (their facility and staff are absolutely awesome).

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, if you can QT the fish from Marine Collectors so you don't end up with issues in your tank that you could have avoided. They wouldn't even let me inside to view their set up for cleanliness or anything.

Seems like that goes against buying already QTed fish. I only have a small 10gal setup for emergencies. I think I made that purchase on a Thursday and TSM releases their new stock of fish each Friday (hence the 3rd group of fish). I picked up the clowns/blue hippo just visiting their shop for the first time.

I initially wanted fish that saw more in the water column which the Lyretail absolutely do. They made all my other more timid fish swim out more too. Pictures incoming…

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like that goes against buying already QTed fish. I only have a small 10gal setup for emergencies. I think I made that purchase on a Thursday and TSM releases their new stock of fish each Friday (hence the 3rd group of fish). I picked up the clowns/blue hippo just visiting their shop for the first time.

I initially wanted fish that saw more in the water column which the Lyretail absolutely do. They made all my other more timid fish swim out more too. Pictures incoming…
If in fact they actually do QT their fish properly. I have heard good things about TSM.

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to comment I received the shipment from Marine Collectors with the Melanarus Wrasse and 3x Carberryi Anthias and I couldn’t be happier.

Fish are all in the DT, active, eating and look super healthy.

Shipment and communication from them were excellent and I would 100% order from them again.

Marine Collectors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to comment I received the shipment from Marine Collectors with the Melanarus Wrasse and 3x Carberryi Anthias and I couldn’t be happier.

Fish are all in the DT, active, eating and look super healthy.

Shipment and communication from them were excellent and I would 100% order from them again.
We could not be happier that you are happy!

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a video of the fish in action today. I've added some new guys since the original post including
-Brunneus Fairy Wrasse
-Carpenter Flasher Wrasse
-Helfrichi Firefish
-Yellow Tang
-Bristletooth White Tail Tang

The yellow tang was added in mid-April and just released the Bristletooth this morning from a 2 day stint in an acclimation box. For the first half day, the yellow tang showed a ton of aggression that gradually died down. They still seem to go at it, with the yellow tang doing some tail swipes here and there but nothing major I don't think. I hope they become grazing buddies.

Not adding anymore fish (unless I encounter another wrasse or two on my list).

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, you’re more than maxed out - Blue Hippos get big and aggressive, same with the Zebrasoma genus. I personally think the only tang that will stay in that tank long term is the bristletooth. The rest are too aggressive and big, the flasher will not like that. Actually, most of the wrasses you own won’t like having a highly aggressive tang in a small tank IME.

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I can see having to re-home the Blue Hippo once it gets to 5' or more. I planned an aqua scape with a lot of caves/overhangs hoping to alleviate any aggression. Hoping as the fish mature, aggression doesn't pick up. Not the best/clearest pictures...

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0861.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my math is correct you're around 20 fish for ~143 gallons. I have 42 fish in my Red Sea 750 (200 gallons), so no - you're not necessarily maxed (but you may be depending on your configuration). Keep in-mind that you need to have a really good bio filter in-place if you want to sustain large a large number of fish, ie: 100-micron or better filter socks, a very good skimmer, GFO, carbon, UV, etc.

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah that was the plan to have multiple filtration systems knowing I would be quite high on the fish stock.

Currently running a refugium, Regal 150 Octo Skimmer, felt filter socks, 2 media cups with carbon and chemipure blue and running a 24watt UV.

I’m using 225 micron felt filter socks from Red Sea switched out about every 2-3 days.

Should I go with a lower micro size?

OP
OP
A

ahuynh616

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If my math is correct you're around 20 fish for ~143 gallons. I have 42 fish in my Red Sea 750 (200 gallons), so no - you're not necessarily maxed (but you may be depending on your configuration). Keep in-mind that you need to have a really good bio filter in-place if you want to sustain large a large number of fish, ie: 100-micron or better filter socks, a very good skimmer, GFO, carbon, UV, etc.

Close, I am at 22 fish. I did unfortunately lose one fish, the lawnmower blenny who decided to perch on a MP40 and yeah…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Close, I am at 22 fish. I did unfortunately lose one fish, the lawnmower blenny who decided to perch on a MP40 and yeah…
This is my biggest reason to have a love hate relationship with blennies. During a WC I always have to check my pumps to make sure the blenny didn’t perch in the return pipe.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel too bad - lawnmower blennies have had a typically short lifespan in my tanks for whatever reason. I finally have one now (Rigel "IV") that's actually doing really well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back