Reefing “NO NO” that you said “YES YES” to?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sometimes what works for you doesn't work for others and sometimes what doesn't work for you does in fact work for others.

Maybe it was certain livestock choices, outdated or unproven equipment, or just a “frowned on” way of doing things that shouldn’t work out but does work out for you?

Maybe it’s your own twist to reefing chemistry that would shock others! Muhaaaa!

What’s a “no no” in reefing where you said “yes yes” and it has worked out just fine for you?

Let’s hear what you got!

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used tap water for the first few years of reefing and grew a beautiful reef! Hush my mouth!!!

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a “no no” in reefing where you said “yes yes” and it has worked out just fine for you?

Maybe it was certain livestock choices, outdated or unproven equipment, or just a “frowned on” way of doing things that shouldn’t work out but does work out for you?

Maybe it’s your own twist to reefing chemistry that would shock others! Muhaaaa!

Let’s hear what you got!
In my case I now have a collection of pumps! This is not all bad but costly, if a pump fails I have a backup till the new one comes in.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trickle filters (wet/dry) or reverse flow under gravel. Both have shown some benefits for certain applications. Ozone injection, UV sterilizers, mechanical filtration, central filtration in retail environments with proper design. Whole list of things that work and are recycled from time to time.

Last edited:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't test my 20g or 10g, at all.
I don't dose them with anything, either. shhhh....
Stephen Colbert Secrets GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes what works for you doesn't work for others and sometimes what doesn't work for you does in fact work for others.

Let’s hear what you got!
I keep my salinity of 1.015 just to save money and I really found success:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:. Also I don't use live rocks :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do zero test, dose zero anything, just feed heavy and also I put a tomini tang in a 65. Sue me lol. I eyeball everything. Lost some good stuff doing that as well lol. Top off with my drinkable ro water system as well. Also ran this on a Chinese black box for years with success but I will say, the xr30s are dynamite.
20221205_185659.jpg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I do zero test, dose zero anything, just feed heavy and also I put a tomini tang in a 65. Sue me lol. I eyeball everything. Lost some good stuff doing that as well lol. Top off with my drinkable ro water system as well. Also ran this on a Chinese black box for years with success but I will say, the xr30s are dynamite.
20221205_185659.jpg
I use my filtered drinking water as well. It is an RO system under the sink, but not like most people on here have.
20230312_222927.jpg

20230308_093448.jpg
20230308_094755.jpg

Last edited:

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let’s hear what you got!
Same here but still going strong. Perhaps it's because I'm in Western Washington and our tap water here is super pure, but I've had almost no problems and thriving tanks. I haven't really had problems with hairalgae, the only time was with my Macro Tank but that's to be expected. Though for jellies I'm most likely going to finally invest in an RODI Unit just to be 100% safe since they are 95% water after all ;)

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here but still going strong. Perhaps it's because I'm in Western Washington and our tap water here is super pure, but I've had almost no problems and thriving tanks. I haven't really had problems with hairalgae, the only time was with my Macro Tank but that's to be expected. Though for jellies I'm most likely going to finally invest in an RODI Unit just to be 100% safe since they are 95% water after all ;)
I feel like the tap water where I live would kill a tank so fast.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back