Reefing Saved My Life!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Gonzo74, thank you for your boldness and willingness to share your story - this was powerful! It is amazing to me how saltwater and reefing meets so many personal and emotional needs for so many people - great article!

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gonzo74, thank you for your boldness and willingness to share your story - this was powerful! It is amazing to me how saltwater and reefing meets so many personal and emotional needs for so many people - great article!
Thank you! Hoping that sharing helps others.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful writeup, really glad you shared your story!

Can I ask, you had mentioned that you log in while you're at work, do you have a camera to view your tank as well?

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gonzo74 first thank you for your service! Thank you for the article. I did not serve, but I too suffer from depression and my reef tank helps me to cope with it. My issues do not compare to what you have been through, but it's good to know that your new hobby is helping! Keep up the great work, and if you ever need a project to keep your mind bussy, you can always come to my house and try to clean up my rats nest of wiring LOL :)

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful writeup, really glad you shared your story!

Can I ask, you had mentioned that you log in while you're at work, do you have a camera to view your tank as well?
I don’t have the camera yet but I log in and am able to check salinity, ORP, PH, Alkalinity, and Temp. Just being able to check on it soothes me at times.

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gonzo74 first thank you for your service! Thank you for the article. I did not serve, but I too suffer from depression and my reef tank helps me to cope with it. My issues do not compare to what you have been through, but it's good to know that your new hobby is helping! Keep up the great work, and if you ever need a project to keep your mind bussy, you can always come to my house and try to clean up my rats nest of wiring LOL :)
Thanks buddy! I’ll clean up yours if you clean up mine!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the camera yet but I log in and am able to check salinity, ORP, PH, Alkalinity, and Temp. Just being able to check on it soothes me at times.

A lot of reasonablely low cost camera options if you so choose to go down that route :) Atleast being able to check the parameters is enough for you.

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of reasonablely low cost camera options if you so choose to go down that route :) Atleast being able to check the parameters is enough for you.
I have not done much research on cameras. Anyone have a recommendation that would work with GHL Profilux 4?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not done much research on cameras. Anyone have a recommendation that would work with GHL Profilux 4?

I don't think GHL will directly link with webcams just yet, I know in there last update they laid the groundwork to do it but I'm not sure if it's up and running. @Ditto do you know?

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing! I know how difficult it is to put something out there leaving yourself so vulnerable.

I work a lot with the VA in Los Angeles. It would be awesome if they had some kind of reefing program. I applaud you and keep up the great work!

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your story. Vulnerability can be a dangerous thing, so we appreciate you trusting us with it. And I totally get it- I struggle with mental illness, and my tank (though it is sometimes a source of stress) helps immensely. If I'm having a non-functional day, the safest place for me is on the couch with my dog, staring at my tank. The soothing occupants and the tinkering with the hardware keep me calm and more focused on the now.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine too.

I don't want to get in to too many ugly details but I grew up poor and in a pretty horrible environment. I struggled with mental health issues all my life. 8 years ago my daughter was born completely and profoundly deaf and with a serious chromosomal disorder. 3 months later my father and grandparents were killed in a head on accident with a B-double being driven by a driver on drugs.

My life fell apart. I nearly lost my marriage. I lost my job. I was often at the bottom of a bottle and suicidal. I finally realised after years of professional help that I was suffering with complex PTSD, not just from my daughter and death of my family but from childhood trauma.

I say all that here because it's not something I can say anywhere else.

I started reefing 2 years ago (38 years old) and it has helped build me back up and put the pieces of my life together. Some of that is about the contemplative nature of it. Nurturing something, watching it grow, taking pride and satisfaction.

But it also helped me in other ways. When I first started any set-back stressed me out sent me in to a spiral. I no longer do that and I credit that to some resilience I have built in reefing. I have learnt patience and to be kinder to myself when I make mistakes. I have also learnt to be in the moment with my tank. Not think forward or look back and that is meditative. I now apply that to other aspects of my life like being with my children.

I honestly believe that my reefing project saved my life.

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also served Navy 94-97. I lost my 16 year old son this year. He helped me setup my aquarium and there will never be a day I don't wish he was still here with me. Sometimes you just have to keep going even though you know you shouldn't. Life is just different for some of us.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the article , I tend to do the same thing when I’m getting stressed out or my anxiety is elevated. My wife doesn’t understand it (she actually gets quite mad ) but it’s nice to know that there’s more people with similar coping mechanisms!

Shawn Blevins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Never thought of my addiction as therapy, but after reading your article that is exactly what it is. My mind is similar to yours always wide open. On the aspect of cameras got a ring doorbell for Christmas. It has grown into the alarm system and perimeter cameras as well as cameras looking at my fish tank and soon to be finished dedicated sump/fish room. The service is great and fairly reasonable at $10 a month for monitoring and being able to view cameras.

OP
OP
Gonzo74

Gonzo74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Never thought of my addiction as therapy, but after reading your article that is exactly what it is. My mind is similar to yours always wide open. On the aspect of cameras got a ring doorbell for Christmas. It has grown into the alarm system and perimeter cameras as well as cameras looking at my fish tank and soon to be finished dedicated sump/fish room. The service is great and fairly reasonable at $10 a month for monitoring and being able to view cameras.
Shawn,

Thanks for the camera idea.

I like to look at it more of a fascination and not an addiction. Key to this would be knowing when it is affecting us negatively and neglecting others around us.

My next article in this “series” will be about just that. My experience with how my loved ones are effected by my fascination and what I have done/am figuring out how to do, to ensure it is positive for them.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4e3c2fb2c9760cb07330dbe9cc85da23.jpg
I don't think GHL will directly link with webcams just yet, I know in there last update they laid the groundwork to do it but I'm not sure if it's up and running. @Ditto do you know?

They have started to lay the foundation for camera support with more coming. I have one working and working on another one. But others have also posted information about how they been getting to work even with camera controls.

I know they are working on adding additional features and support !!

23F4D918-4ABB-4734-8763-2464D5E58127.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back