Reefkinetics Reefbot

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opposite issue with API, where it was reading zero with super high nitrates. Reading high but with good precision is perfect, depending it could work better than accurate readings. I just want to have an idea of where they are, not just tell me zero all the time.

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ran red sea phos. . 02.i have no clue if that's correct. Probably is but I have a ton a algae which is probably consuming a good amount of it. My tank crashed a while ago due to lack of maintenance and testing hence why I got this reefbot so trying to turn things around.... Ill check with my hanna tomorrow for ulr phos and compare.

My only complaint on the reefbot so far is I want to test big 3 plus nitrate and phos. And there isn't enough space for that. That literally is my Only complaint so far.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Just did a manual test with TM and it came up exactly what the bot said 10. But manual Red Sea and manual nyos say 3 to 4.
TM uses a different method, with different chemistry. Seems logical they wouldn't be right on with the other method used by most other companies.

Rick Strauss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM uses a different method, with different chemistry. Seems logical they wouldn't be right on with the other method used by most other companies.
If it reads 10 and it’s actually 4 that’s fine. It will do it’s job by telling me it moved higher or lower.

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew....finally got through reading all 32 pages of this thread. I received my ReefBot and like others the needle holder was bent so it wasn't vertical. I bent it into place like others have done.

Also I'm very surprised no one else (unless I somehow missed it) struggled with getting the the RO and Tank water through the hoses and into the chambers. I tried placing the bot level with my sump and RO bucket, tried a little lower, a little higher, etc. I finally just sucked in on the tube to create a siphon and then put the hose in the connector as fast as I could but then it leaked. The problem with this is that the water just leaked everywhere from the hose ports on the bot. I've already contacted support but if anyone has any experience or advice that would be much appreciated.

After getting everything calibrated I decided to try the API Nitrate test with the Bot and compare this to all the other tests I have. Following are those results. I did them all one after another so approximately the same time and definitely using the same water.

API NO3 Test Kit with Bot - 0 ppm
API NO3 Test Kit manual - 40 ppm
Pinpoint Nitrate Monitor from American Marine - 10 ppm
Red Sea Nitrate Pro (Part of the Algae Control Pro Multi-Test Kit) - 24 ppm
Seachem Nitrite & Nitrate Multi-Test - 10 ppm (Note: This test kit came with a reference solution of 10 ppm so I did the test a couple more times comparing my tank water with the reference solution which is ironically also 10 ppm). Take a look. The one in the middle is the reference solution. I did it a couple times. It's more like 30 or 50. I'll reach out to Seachem support as well since there isn't really an expiration date on their kits and see what they say.

Salifert Nitrate - Between 10 ppm and 25 ppm (more on the side of 25)
JNW Direct Aquarium Test Strips - 0 ppm
Onthink Test NO3 - 12.5 ppm
NYOS Nitrate - 10 ppm
Tropic Marin Compact Lab - 2.5 ppm

What does this tell me? Testing for Nitrate is extremely difficult. I'm going to have a couple co-workers come over and test all of these again and see what they come up with for comparisons. API has NEVER been anywhere near accurate so I'm not sure using the bot for this makes sense. So even though it is in Beta I'll try the Tropic Marin product for Nitrate and then compare again.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whew....finally got through reading all 32 pages of this thread. I received my ReefBot and like others the needle holder was bent so it wasn't vertical. I bent it into place like others have done.

Also I'm very surprised no one else (unless I somehow missed it) struggled with getting the the RO and Tank water through the hoses and into the chambers. I tried placing the bot level with my sump and RO bucket, tried a little lower, a little higher, etc. I finally just sucked in on the tube to create a siphon and then put the hose in the connector as fast as I could but then it leaked. The problem with this is that the water just leaked everywhere from the hose ports on the bot. I've already contacted support but if anyone has any experience or advice that would be much appreciated.

After getting everything calibrated I decided to try the API Nitrate test with the Bot and compare this to all the other tests I have. Following are those results. I did them all one after another so approximately the same time and definitely using the same water.

Seachem Nitrite & Nitrate Multi-Test - 10 ppm (Note: This test kit came with a reference solution of 10 ppm so I did the test a couple more times comparing my tank water with the reference solution which is ironically also 10 ppm). Take a look. The one in the middle is the reference solution. I did it a couple times. It's more like 30 or 50. I'll reach out to Seachem support as well since there isn't really an expiration date on their kits and see what they say.

NYOS Nitrate - 10 ppm

What does this tell me? Testing for Nitrate is extremely difficult. I'm going to have a couple co-workers come over and test all of these again and see what they come up with for comparisons. API has NEVER been anywhere near accurate so I'm not sure using the bot for this makes sense. So even though it is in Beta I'll try the Tropic Marin product for Nitrate and then compare again.
This guy tests for nitrates ;Playful;Playful;Playful;):):):)

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NYOS Nitrate - 10 ppm

You might not have the water fitting screwed all the way into the side of the bot. The plumbers tape they use makes it a tight fit. Mine flushed out at the flange.
For the tank hose I just started at one end and submerged the hose pushing the air through to the other end. when the hose was full of water I folded the end in half and pushed it on the fitting at the bot. Worked fine no issues.
The RO hose self primes.
I would seem you need calibrating to get consistant results. "contact reef kinectics".

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy tests for nitrates ;Playful;Playful;Playful;):):):)
The emojis are titled "playful," "wink" and "smile." I am down with your style, no sense in doing something if not as hard/good/complete/thorough as you can do it. Your efforts are impressive.

I didn't have any leaking or connection issues with RB. I am sure support will have it lined out quickly, they are on top of it in my experience.

Testing for NO3 is indeed difficult. I am not a chemist, but I have tested many thousands of times for nitrogen compounds in seawater. Getting good (accurate/precise) data is difficult for sure. Aiming for precision vs. accuracy seems to be the most logical for home aquaria in my opinion. RB is likely to help in that department, but not with API as you have shown above and I have seen in my own testing.

Looking forward to your TM results. I will post mine when I get my test kits from Germany.

Happy reefing :)!

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emojis are titled "playful," "wink" and "smile." I am down with your style, no sense in doing something if not as hard/good/complete/thorough as you can do it. Your efforts are impressive.

I didn't have any leaking or connection issues with RB. I am sure support will have it lined out quickly, they are on top of it in my experience.

Testing for NO3 is indeed difficult. I am not a chemist, but I have tested many thousands of times for nitrogen compounds in seawater. Getting good (accurate/precise) data is difficult for sure. Aiming for precision vs. accuracy seems to be the most logical for home aquaria in my opinion. RB is likely to help in that department, but not with API as you have shown above and I have seen in my own testing.

Looking forward to your TM results. I will post mine when I get my test kits from Germany.

Happy reefing :)!

Thank you! I suspected you were just messing around but wasn't sure. Thanks for info and I would also be interested in your results with TM.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already on my 3rd set of needles/syringes. I do hope reefkinetics has replacements available for purchase soon. I am happy to report that my previous inaccurate readings did not have to do with nearing the end of life for needles/syringes.

Regarding RedSea phosphate, I've only done 2 tests so far and here are my results:

Redsea reefbot - 0.12 ppm
Hanna ULR manual - didn't do one side by side, but has been averaging around 0.1 ppm recently

Redsea reefbot - 0.08 ppm
Hanna ULR manual - 0.08 ppm (27 ppb)

Regarding Tropic Marin Nitrate,

TM reefbot: 5 ppm
Salifert manual: 2.5 - 5 ppm (really hard for me to distinguish the colors with Salifert)

I declare good enough. I'm happy using Redsea phosphate and TM nitrate with my reefbot to replace my manual phosphate and nitrate testing.

So right now, I run Redea alk and API Ca daily, and will probably run RS phosphate and TM nitrate weekly. I would like to also run Mg weekly, but will need to figure out the best way to swap out the reagents. I do have RS Mg in their own reagent bottles, but when you swap them out, you lose the remaining reagent volume information. @drernesto , it would be great it there were some way to maintain the remaining reagent volume information for when users want to swap out reagents due to lack of reagent slots in the reefbot.

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you
We advise not to compare test kits. As long as
Sure! I’ll forward this request instantly to the development team.
About the syringes/needles please send us an email on [email protected] and we’ll make sure that you’ll get them.
We will have some accessories available at RAP Orlando if you’re attending.

Cheers.

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We advise not to compare test kits. As long as
Sure! I’ll forward this request instantly to the development team.
About the syringes/needles please send us an email on [email protected] and we’ll make sure that you’ll get them.
We will have some accessories available at RAP Orlando if you’re attending.

Cheers.
Will you be at rap Chicago?

drernesto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this was cut off so not sure what you meant to say. As long as...
Sorry typo mistake :)
As long as you’re trusting one brand and getting good results with it. Even if you compare different batches of the same brand you’ll probably get different readings.

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I contacted Seachem and they agreed that something was wrong with the reagents or reference solution. They notified their lab and are sending me new reagents. For the chance one of you has any from the same LOT as mine, here is the info.

Following are the LOT numbers of the solutions:
Nitrite 1: 88438.00
Nitrate 2: 88439.00
Reference Solution: 88328.00

I purchased from Marine Depot on 8/26/2018.

Brian Drab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no longer surprised. I'm an idiot. Support got right back with me this morning and basically knew from the video that I linked to that I neglected to insert the bulk head connectors. OMG. :eek:

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no longer surprised. I'm an idiot. Support got right back with me this morning and basically knew from the video that I linked to that I neglected to insert the bulk head connectors. OMG. :eek:

That is awesome bro : ) must of been like sipping a juice box from ground level to 34th floor Getting them lines primed . No worries I’ve done some strange things aswell trying to get New gear set up

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back