ReefLed vs. AI 16HD Prime

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to write this because when I was looking for a T5/Led Hybrid info was pretty sparse and I wish I had stumbled onto a post like this.

In search of a good T5/Led Hybrid I just wanted to share my experience with my ReefLed 50 and AI 16HD Prime. I have a 20g IM that has a 24" aquatic life T5 HO fixture. The Aquatic Life fixtures can be adjusted to a width from 16" to 24" with a space in the middle of the 2+2 T5 arrangement for accommodating an Led component. Because the 20g is AIO, the width of the the light had to be reduced to its minimum 16". The remaining space in the middle of the T5 fixture was exactly 4.8". That is also the advertised OD of the AI light so I thought it would be a great fit. After some due diligence I found very little useful info on combining the Prime with the Aquatic Life fixture but forged ahead anyways. It quickly became apparent that the fit was very tight requiring force to seat the LED into the middle of the fixture. Now, the AI app is pretty decent but the AI fixture is a not so great design with a seperate L shaped hanging bracket if you want that. The app allows for adjusting channels and setting timers etc. so pretty standard stuff. in less then a month, the AI unit started failing and making fan noises. I do have to give props to AI for responsive email based customer service. The return instructions that I received required a video and a bunch of other hoops to jump through but it was not too bad. they did send me a replacement right away and covered return shipping so kudos to AI for that.

In the meantime, I was able to grab a ReefLed 50 and had something to compare the AI light to. As opposed to the forced fit of the AI, the Reefled is 4.7" square and fit perfectly in the middle space of the T5. plastic cover and metal heatsink work well and the light is superior to the AI imo. The Reefled comes with a more limited 3 channels of control (blue, white and moon) as opposed to the 4-5-6 channels we normally enjoy and that are available in the AI light so it took me a minute to overcome the "reefers complex" that more options are always better. From what I understand the Reefled, by design, operates in spectrum boundaries present in nature to prevent you from making changes that will damage your corals. So whatever changes are made, they will be inside of what you would find in nature. You can still overdose by using too much intensity or having the light too close to the surface however.When paired with the T5 the demands on the LED are quite different than if it was the sole source of light so you will probably have to dial it way back. The shimmer you get in the water is quite good as well with gentle shadows as opposed to the hard shadows you would get from a Kessil where you (supposedly) have to control surface agitation to prevent the dizzying glitter effect. The app is solid on both cases.

some things I like about the Reefled,
1. fit
2. easy to set up and manage light schedules.
3. cost - about the same as AI but try to find a sale or something. Still less than G5 XR15.
4. noise - its pretty much silent
5. install - the install was easy and it took drilling 2 tiny holes in the snap on cover on top of the light. it was a little tricky to open the plastic snaps that bite on the screws but if you are careful and methodical it takes a second to properly remove the top cover. To replace it just snaps back on.

what I did not like so much is that the power cable from the fixture is relatively short with the connector from the power side being much longer. This leaves me having a bulky power connection hanging in open view as the cable travels the same route as the T5 power cords. (hope that makes sense).

some things I liked about the AI
1. customer service (have not tried Red Sea)
2. better cable layout (long side on the fixture and short side on the power supply)
3. cost - Still less than G5 XR15

what I did not like was the noisy fan and poor mounting options.

you can check everything out for yourself of course but if you have a need to go hybrid T5 / Led for your lighting needs and like the idea of being able to use your current LED's (the Aquatic life fixture can accommodate most common LED fixtures in the wider 18" or 24" widths) or upgrade as updated LED's become available, I hope this helps sorting out the many options.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to get your opinions about these.

Nano-DaveJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a couple nice Red Sea show tanks - one is running Hydras and the other running Reef LEDs. IMO the Reef LEDs win in shimmer, color and blending. If I didn’t already have a Prime and an XR-15 on my tanks I would definitely be considering Reef LED 50s!!

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve enjoyed my 50’s. As you stated above sleek, easy, shimmer. I will also add to your thoughts. Customer service from Red Sea was great when mine had some coil whine from the head sink. They sent me parts immediately and gave a detailed video on how to swap parts. That being said these lights are extremely easy to open and clean, just pop off the top and you have access to the fan where most gunk forms.

However for my upgrade I found good deals on used G5 xr15s... kept one 50 for my nano!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to write this because when I was looking for a T5/Led Hybrid info was pretty sparse and I wish I had stumbled onto a post like this.

In search of a good T5/Led Hybrid I just wanted to share my experience with my ReefLed 50 and AI 16HD Prime. I have a 20g IM that has a 24" aquatic life T5 HO fixture. The Aquatic Life fixtures can be adjusted to a width from 16" to 24" with a space in the middle of the 2+2 T5 arrangement for accommodating an Led component. Because the 20g is AIO, the width of the the light had to be reduced to its minimum 16". The remaining space in the middle of the T5 fixture was exactly 4.8". That is also the advertised OD of the AI light so I thought it would be a great fit. After some due diligence I found very little useful info on combining the Prime with the Aquatic Life fixture but forged ahead anyways. It quickly became apparent that the fit was very tight requiring force to seat the LED into the middle of the fixture. Now, the AI app is pretty decent but the AI fixture is a not so great design with a seperate L shaped hanging bracket if you want that. The app allows for adjusting channels and setting timers etc. so pretty standard stuff. in less then a month, the AI unit started failing and making fan noises. I do have to give props to AI for responsive email based customer service. The return instructions that I received required a video and a bunch of other hoops to jump through but it was not too bad. they did send me a replacement right away and covered return shipping so kudos to AI for that.

In the meantime, I was able to grab a ReefLed 50 and had something to compare the AI light to. As opposed to the forced fit of the AI, the Reefled is 4.7" square and fit perfectly in the middle space of the T5. plastic cover and metal heatsink work well and the light is superior to the AI imo. The Reefled comes with a more limited 3 channels of control (blue, white and moon) as opposed to the 4-5-6 channels we normally enjoy and that are available in the AI light so it took me a minute to overcome the "reefers complex" that more options are always better. From what I understand the Reefled, by design, operates in spectrum boundaries present in nature to prevent you from making changes that will damage your corals. So whatever changes are made, they will be inside of what you would find in nature. You can still overdose by using too much intensity or having the light too close to the surface however.When paired with the T5 the demands on the LED are quite different than if it was the sole source of light so you will probably have to dial it way back. The shimmer you get in the water is quite good as well with gentle shadows as opposed to the hard shadows you would get from a Kessil where you (supposedly) have to control surface agitation to prevent the dizzying glitter effect. The app is solid on both cases.

some things I like about the Reefled,
1. fit
2. easy to set up and manage light schedules.
3. cost - about the same as AI but try to find a sale or something. Still less than G5 XR15.
4. noise - its pretty much silent
5. install - the install was easy and it took drilling 2 tiny holes in the snap on cover on top of the light. it was a little tricky to open the plastic snaps that bite on the screws but if you are careful and methodical it takes a second to properly remove the top cover. To replace it just snaps back on.

what I did not like so much is that the power cable from the fixture is relatively short with the connector from the power side being much longer. This leaves me having a bulky power connection hanging in open view as the cable travels the same route as the T5 power cords. (hope that makes sense).

some things I liked about the AI
1. customer service (have not tried Red Sea)
2. better cable layout (long side on the fixture and short side on the power supply)
3. cost - Still less than G5 XR15

what I did not like was the noisy fan and poor mounting options.

you can check everything out for yourself of course but if you have a need to go hybrid T5 / Led for your lighting needs and like the idea of being able to use your current LED's (the Aquatic life fixture can accommodate most common LED fixtures in the wider 18" or 24" widths) or upgrade as updated LED's become available, I hope this helps sorting out the many options.
Thanks for the detailed write up as I am currently selecting my lighting for a DIY canopy I found it very informative. I will have a 72”x24”x24” tank with a mixed reef, lesser SPS (at least to star) and LEDs in combo with T5. The LED50 spec sheet says a 20x20 spread do you think that is sufficient or will I have to go to the 90s? Also can the LED or Prime be mounted to the canopy frame instead of cables or pendent arm? Last question can they be tied in with a controller or only running from the app?

OP
OP
S

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. so with a tank that deep and long, you are definitely going to need ReefLed 90 or even 160 if that is the route you want to go. I was able to use the bracket they (aquatic life) sell to mount the reefled on the T5 fixture the way it was designed. I did pop the lid of the Reefled and drilled 2 small holes in the lid in order to attach it to the bracket. please, this worked for me but I am in no way suggesting you should alter your lights. it is up to you to determine how well the mount works and if you are comfortable with it. i.e. don't blame me if your light falls into the tank because it wasn't fully secured or whatever. The Reefbeat app (Red Sea app) is good and like almost all lighting, once its set up, it requires very little interaction. the only issue I had with the app is that "on the fly" changes are cumbersome. Like if it was on night schedule and I wanted to turn on full light for a minute for instance. previewing light changes also seems to require the lamp to reboot which takes a minute. It could be operator error too though :eek:;Woot

all that said, i am still very happy with the Aquatic Life t5 and ReefLed combo.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Between this thread and a couple others I am following I think I am narrowing down the selection.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back