• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Refinish acrylic tank

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am wanting to refinish my acrylic tank and clean up all of the scratches while it’s empty. I’ve been reading, researching and watching videos. Wondering if anyone can provide and forums, videos or links that they have found to be the best. Would like to make sure I don’t miss anything important.

Thanks

OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That’s the general consensus that I have been finding. Did you do it by hand or use an random orbital sander? The tank is quite large so I don’t think hand sanding will cut it.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
A sander will work just use a light pressure and don’t try to rush it. Your polishing can be done with a car buffer done in steps of the grit polish your using but you will still have to do a little by hand. Good luck with it

OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on how to get the cloudiness out? I sanded up to 2000 grit and have tried the novus 1 and McGuire’s plastx. This is about as good as I can get it. Looking for other ideas. Thanks.
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
R

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Scratches are all out. It is purely a residue/haze left. I’ve tried buffing by hand and using a random orbital. When I put the novus 1 on it is making the acrylic even cloudier.

Fragtacular Sale

lapin

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Number 3 will scratch. Number 2 will scratch less. Number 1 should get rid of the minor scratches left by number 2. Wash all the left over #2 off with water. Be sure to use a clean cotton bonnet or pad. If using microfiber, rinse it often as it will trap the fine dirt in its fibers. You want your pad to be wet. Dry polish will cause more haze. Do not apply any pressure when polishing. Let the buffer float. If you still have issues you might try some soapy water with the polish to act as a lubricant.

amfreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wet sanded and used all three of the novus polish starting with #3 and it didn't work for me. I did it all by hand though.

lapin

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Fragtacular After Sale

jozer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with the haze, not sure if maybe I'm just not polishing enough. I've been doing it by hand and also got an attachment for my drill. I just ordered some car waxing foam pads and I'm going to give another go as soon as I get a chance. In the mean time I just left it in my shed because I got tired of looking at it.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Scratches are all out. It is purely a residue/haze left. I’ve tried buffing by hand and using a random orbital. When I put the novus 1 on it is making the acrylic even cloudier.
You can also go to a higher grit. Stepping up to 10k grit and no polish required. That's what they do at some public aquariums.

William Hardifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I started with 600 wet then went to 800, 1000, 1200, and finally 1500. All wet paper picked right up from Advanced Auto Parts. Then go to the Novus 3, then 2 and then down to 1. Your tank will be crystal clear

What overall grade would you give to the whole class of online livestock vendors?

• A+

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • A

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • A-

Votes: 30 7.9%
  • B+

Votes: 54 14.2%
  • B

Votes: 90 23.7%
  • B-

Votes: 40 10.5%