Refractometer calibration/temperature question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, from what I've read and understand is works like this. The refractometer itself needs to be very close to 68 degrees (20 degrees Celsius) when you calibrate it. The solution temp doesn't matter (within reason, I wouldn't use water or solution that is extremely cold or hot. Room temp should work fine). .

That is the claim, but it is incorrect for the reasons stated above.

I agree that calibrating at the same temp as the water to be measured (meaning the temp of the water after it hits the refractometer, which may be a combination of tank temp and refractometer/room temp, but mostly the latter) will give the best result in the chance/expectation that the ATC is not perfect. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe salinity varies depending on water temperature, this is why calibration fluid states that it's 1.0265 @ 77 Degree Fahrenheit. My understanding was that the refractometer will automatically correct for this regardless of water temperature.

How does this work exactly and is this function dependent on the original calibration temperature?

This is why I moved to a conductivity meter, had nothing but trouble with my refractometer, especially during the winter months. Could never figure it out, I could place a sample and measure, it would result in a reading, I could leave that same sample sit for a few minutes and the reading would totally change. Maybe mine was broken.

Salinity doesn't vary with temperature. 35 ppt seawater is 35 ppt seawater at any temperature.

The specific gravity will change, but that mostly only impacts hydrometer readings directly.

The index of refraction also changes with temperature, which confounds refractometers.

I describe how ATC works here:

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php

Note that the reading may also depend on the lights use, so use the same ones for calibration and measurement.

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the new Redsea refractors and when I calibrate with di water and then check with salinity solution It does not match.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the new Redsea refractors and when I calibrate with di water and then check with salinity solution It does not match.

Not surprising. Most refractometers sold to the hobby won't work correctly if calibrated with RO/DI and should be calibrated with a 35 ppt seawater standard.

The reason is they were made for measuring brine solutions, not seawater, and brine has a slightly different relationship between refractive index and salinity/specific gravity than does seawater.

Using a 35 ppt standard for measuring near that salinity largely eliminates this issue. :)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not surprising. Most refractometers sold to the hobby won't work correctly if calibrated with RO/DI and should be calibrated with a 35 ppt seawater standard.

The reason is they were made for measuring brine solutions, not seawater, and brine has a slightly different relationship between refractive index and salinity/specific gravity than does seawater.

Using a 35 ppt standard for measuring near that salinity largely eliminates this issue. :)

These new Redsea refractors are supposed to made for saltwater not brine. I guess my question is should I trust the di water calibration or the salinity reference solution? They seem to be far apart.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's disturbing. When I asked about calibration solution the people I bought my refract from hadn't even heard of it.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always use 35ppt calibration solution. Not only is it what is recommended by many manufacturers it is also very close to the target salinity making a more accurate measurement.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These new Redsea refractors are supposed to made for saltwater not brine. I guess my question is should I trust the di water calibration or the salinity reference solution? They seem to be far apart.

OK, that's one of the few seawater refractometers. I guess it boils down to whether you have more confidence in the maker of the calibration solution (and its treatment since manufacture, including evaporation), and the maker of the refractometer. It is generally impossible to know which is more accurate with a single test. Maybe just split the difference. :)

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I buy my refractometer from brs with the solution. Last black Friday got it for $25 plus shipping.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back