Refugium/algae scrubber VS Elimi-NP/ NP-Bacto etc..

Iant419

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had .3 phosphates for a while now and have been using a GFO reactor in a half stocked 7 year old crashed tank I inherited 4 months ago. I'm looking for other less harsh methods of nutrient export other than GFO. I've heard about refugiums and algae scrubbers and their mixed reviews. But then I heard an interview with a tropic marine rep about their carbon dosing system.

If I'm understanding this correctly their system

>target feeds only good bacteria that aren't unsightly

>good bacteria consume phosphates and some nitrates

>The corals can now consume good bacteria and then benefit from the phosphate consumption

If this works why would anyone want to use a refugium? Even if the refugium or scrubber worked they'd just be wasting potential nutrients. What is the downside I'm missing? Is it simply cost?

And auxillary question. If I got to a super low nutrient state is NP+ the best way to dose nitrates and phosphates?

307170.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly am not sure how much corals we keep actually eat bacteria. I have a feeling that Tropic marin is pushing that as a marketing plan. The corals (cnidarians) we keep are primarily zoo plankton predators. You also likely can't only feed good bacteria (maybe with biopellets but not liquid carbon dosing).

Regardless, refugiums boost pH where as carbon dosing lowers it, decrease phosphate far better than carbon dosing, can be profitable, can provide extra food for fish, and are safer (can't cause bacterial blooms)

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back