Refugium Lighting Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by DSmithZ28, Jan 10, 2018.

1. DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I am currently running one of the TaoTronics: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-L...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0S5ZTPDSN1R17HRXJ3Y1

on my 10x12x18 (LxWxH) refugium and not having the desired results with Chaeto. In fact I would like to scrap Chaeto all together in favor a different macro algae like Dragons Breath. Chaeto breaks apart and gets all over the return pump section and ultimately back into the DT. It's a mess in the fuge as well. So this light has a lot of the red spectrum and 660nm light I read works for growing algae but I was wondering if I could grow macro algae with this light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4JG74A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2D3OVQZ1H4YHJ&psc=1

And get some multi purpose as a coral frag holding area as well? Just wondering what the most multipurpose light I can use to cover both coral and macro algae growth?

2. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

The second one from amazon should work good for both, its got the blue for the corals, but also the red for the macroalgae. the first one would probably work, but your corals may favor the second one :)

3. bif24701

bif24701 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

When growing Cheato and using a high power LED light the chaeto needs to acclimate to the light. This can take a few weeks. I would like to see you use a light with more of a balance of blue:red LEDs

4. DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I have had the chaeto for several months and no growth at all. It comes apart and makes a pretty huge mess. Was looking to grow a macro algae like dragons breath and maybe use it for a frag rack. Can you recommend something moderately priced?

Hemlawk likes this.
  5. Hemlawk

Hemlawk Active Member

Me too. I have the Kessel refug light and every time I get chaeto, it dies within a few weeks.

6. Esquire805

Esquire805 Well-Known Member

sometimes it has nothing to do with light but nutrients

7. Esquire805

Esquire805 Well-Known Member

check your nitrate and phoshates no food equals death

8. [Cameron]

[Cameron] Active Member

This wreaks of a nutrient problem as noted above. Most likely some trace elements missing in the column. I would try some iron supplement before moving on.

Zack K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted