Refugium Lighting Question

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running one of the TaoTronics: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-L...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0S5ZTPDSN1R17HRXJ3Y1

on my 10x12x18 (LxWxH) refugium and not having the desired results with Chaeto. In fact I would like to scrap Chaeto all together in favor a different macro algae like Dragons Breath. Chaeto breaks apart and gets all over the return pump section and ultimately back into the DT. It's a mess in the fuge as well. So this light has a lot of the red spectrum and 660nm light I read works for growing algae but I was wondering if I could grow macro algae with this light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4JG74A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2D3OVQZ1H4YHJ&psc=1

And get some multi purpose as a coral frag holding area as well? Just wondering what the most multipurpose light I can use to cover both coral and macro algae growth?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running one of the TaoTronics: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-L...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0S5ZTPDSN1R17HRXJ3Y1

on my 10x12x18 (LxWxH) refugium and not having the desired results with Chaeto. In fact I would like to scrap Chaeto all together in favor a different macro algae like Dragons Breath. Chaeto breaks apart and gets all over the return pump section and ultimately back into the DT. It's a mess in the fuge as well. So this light has a lot of the red spectrum and 660nm light I read works for growing algae but I was wondering if I could grow macro algae with this light: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4JG74A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2D3OVQZ1H4YHJ&psc=1

And get some multi purpose as a coral frag holding area as well? Just wondering what the most multipurpose light I can use to cover both coral and macro algae growth?
The second one from amazon should work good for both, its got the blue for the corals, but also the red for the macroalgae. the first one would probably work, but your corals may favor the second one :)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When growing Cheato and using a high power LED light the chaeto needs to acclimate to the light. This can take a few weeks. I would like to see you use a light with more of a balance of blue:red LEDs

OP
OP
DSmithZ28

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the chaeto for several months and no growth at all. It comes apart and makes a pretty huge mess. Was looking to grow a macro algae like dragons breath and maybe use it for a frag rack. Can you recommend something moderately priced?

Hemlawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too. I have the Kessel refug light and every time I get chaeto, it dies within a few weeks.

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the chaeto for several months and no growth at all. It comes apart and makes a pretty huge mess. Was looking to grow a macro algae like dragons breath and maybe use it for a frag rack. Can you recommend something moderately priced?
check your nitrate and phoshates no food equals death

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wreaks of a nutrient problem as noted above. Most likely some trace elements missing in the column. I would try some iron supplement before moving on.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back