Refugium needed for Mandarin?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to the fish store today, and I was thinking that if I found a healthy dragonet there, that would be a great addition to my tank. However, I'm not sure if my tank is right for one. I know that it would need to be eating only copepods, and I'm not sure if my tank can support the needed pod population. The tank is 65 gallons, with about a 10 gallon sump. I'd estimate that there are about 40lbs of rock and 60lbs of sand, but there is no refugium. The tank is over a year old and there are copepods, amphipods, and mysid shrimp all living in the tank. Is this a good environment for a dragonet? I'm not sure if I could support one without the refugium. Thanks!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and get it to eat the frozen. I think algae barn has a frozen pod blend food. and work it up to frozen mysis. So it doesn’t starve.

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have captive bred mandarins that eat frozen. I'm sure it would be possible (although difficult) to get a wild one on frozen. This would reduce the need for copepods and other foods although probably not eliminate the need.

Rockazb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Slightly different question but hopefully not too far off topic: I have a refugium set up for the same purpose (growing copepods for my mandarin) but all I see inside there are smaller copepods that are very white/clear. When I put in bigger orange/red tigger pods, they never stay there (sucked up by the pump and end up in the display no matter how long I leave everything off for). Is this expected or will I begin to see the bigger ones growing in there eventually? Or maybe a copepods is a copepods and it doesn't matter? Thanks!

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scooter blenny (which is actually a form of Dragonet...he's been happy in my tank now for over 6 months, tank is just over 2 years old,(40B) and everything is growing and doing good. I occasionally like every 2 months toss in some pods from Algea Barn, but I don't think he even needs that, because tank is so established now.

I did however make the mistake of trying one at around the 8 month mark, and he only lasted a few months. But the new Scooter is doing great and even gaining weight....I even occasionally see him eat a piece of wet and or dry food.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back