Refugium Plumbing

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at adding a low flow refugium to my 125 build. Will be located under tank, next to sump. Thinking it will be fed from a small pump in the sump skimmer section, and gravity feed back into the sump return section: either over the top (fuge elevated above sump), or bulkheaded fuge-to-sump (fuge next to sump).

Current concerns include return plumbing blockages=fuge overflow, mainline return pump shutdown for feeding=fuge overflow, and bubbles/detritus from fuge clogging mainline return pump.

Any tips welcome, any pics would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at adding a low flow refugium to my 125 build. Will be located under tank, next to sump. Thinking it will be fed from a small pump in the sump skimmer section, and gravity feed back into the sump return section: either over the top (fuge elevated above sump), or bulkheaded fuge-to-sump (fuge next to sump).

Current concerns include return plumbing blockages=fuge overflow, mainline return pump shutdown for feeding=fuge overflow, and bubbles/detritus from fuge clogging mainline return pump.

Any tips welcome, any pics would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance!

Can you draw out a Schematic of what you think it should be and post it?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think that if you used a large bulkhead for the drain ,it would be fine. You would have to drill if using a glass refugium tank or use a Plastic bin that Ya can't see into.Please draw up a diagram of your plan.
all the other ideas are fine .

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cracker @Flippers4pups

20181111_083931.jpg

20181111_083959.jpg

20181111_083947.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would definitely set the refugium a little higher than the sump and let it gravity drain back to the sump. That is the way I had my old LifeReef & Refugium sump built. It wasn't set up yet in this pic, but you can see how the drain was set up (never mind the red circle. I was showing something else to somone). I ended up feeding it with a separate pump in the skimmer compartment.

LifeReefSump-002.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thinking!
Like the second pic better
Maybe run a 2” baffle that a sponge will fit in before fuge drain, and/or a second drain slightly higher as an emergency.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would definitely set the refugium a little higher than the sump and let it gravity drain back to the sump. That is the way I had my old LifeReef & Refugium sump built. It wasn't set up yet in this pic, but you can see how the drain was set up (never mind the red circle. I was showing something else to somone). I ended up feeding it with a separate pump in the skimmer compartment.

LifeReefSump-002.jpg
Great pic, that looks pretty much exactly what I'm after.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin Just to pick your brain a bit more...

What is your flow rate through the fuge? I was looking at 200-300gph pump through a 20 gal fuge.

Do you have any film algae issues with light bleeding through into your sump? I was planning on painting the sides of the fuge black to reduce that.

Definitely like that modified pvc drain, does that run pretty quiet?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin Just to pick your brain a bit more...

What is your flow rate through the fuge? I was looking at 200-300gph pump through a 20 gal fuge.

Do you have any film algae issues with light bleeding through into your sump? I was planning on painting the sides of the fuge black to reduce that.

Definitely like that modified pvc drain, does that run pretty quiet?
That was a couple of sumps ago. I am without a main "running" system presently, but I think I just had a MaxiJet 1200 feeding it with a valve to control the flow. Never measured it actually. I have seen Jeff at LifeReef used that slotted PVC pipe for overflows before. It wasn't noisy. I did get some coralline algae on that one wall of the sump. I have used black needlepoint fabric (plastic grid), doubled up to block light in another sump. This is how I used it in this small sump. Held in place by magnets. Been like this for several years.

NanoSump.jpg

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I came up with. T off main return, will run roughly 100-120gph through about 12-14 gallon fuge. Gravity return back to sump. Thanks for the tips.

20181118_133136.jpg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job ! I'm concerned about the slits however, they could clog easily & quickly . Personally I would use wide open, large bulk head to be sure it didn't clog up on Ya .
I really like the ref container !Inexpensive, the cut out lid keeps the tub from bowing . The water enters deep to cause an upwelling effect , nice .
May I ask how long is the power bar?

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn
Good job ! I'm concerned about the slits however, they could clog easily & quickly . Personally I would use wide open, large bulk head to be sure it didn't clog up on Ya .
I really like the ref container !Inexpensive, the cut out lid keeps the tub from bowing . The water enters deep to cause an upwelling effect , nice .
I just noticed that the picture I posted did not show the complete slotted pipe in my old sump. There was a "backup drain" at the end of the pipe. There was a modified 90° fitting (the 90° was cut and the opening is just a little above the top of the slots) at the end of the pipe. This is a better pic of it. I will say that I never really had any clogging issues with it.

Sump_Refugium_Skimmer-003.jpg

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn

I just noticed that the picture I posted did not show the complete slotted pipe in my old sump. There was a "backup drain" at the end of the pipe. There was a modified 90° fitting (the 90° was cut and the opening is just a little above the top of the slots) at the end of the pipe. This is a better pic of it. I will say that I never really had any clogging issues with it.

Sump_Refugium_Skimmer-003.jpg
That's a good idea. I'm gonna redo that pipe as I dont like how sloppy the cuts are. Didnt feel like dragging out the mitre box for that lol. I had to stub up the end of that to keep the whole drainpipe from sagging, maybe I'll get another strainer and use that as well.

OP
OP
dugthefish

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36", 12 outlet power strip. Was like $20 shipped from Parts Express.

Thank you for the kudos!

Back