Refugium Refusal : Why would you NOT run a refugium?

Why wouldn't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

  • No Space or equipment

    Votes: 216 25.9%
  • Don't think it's worth the extra time or money

    Votes: 51 6.1%
  • Tried it and it didn't work out for me

    Votes: 61 7.3%
  • I do have a refugium running

    Votes: 447 53.7%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 58 7.0%

  • Total voters
    833
No room for one on my AIO 40 so I run a Pax Bellum cheato reactor. Not all the benefits of a fuge but most.
0AF51719-E60A-4B05-893C-E849908E82A9.jpeg
I have an AIO aquarium with a new Tunze Macroalgae Reactor stored away ready to be used. Does the Pax Bellum have a HOB option? How are you supporting the reactor?
 
Main con that I have is that sometimes pest algae tends to grow in the chaeto and the detritus that builds up is hard to remove.
 
I suspect you are depleted in trace minerals of which iron is a major player. Check out ChartoGrow. I consider it beneficial for all photosynthetic critters, including coral. I combine this with clear ammonia for a source of pure nitrogen. I also would suggest a 12-14 hr refugium light cycle opposite of your display tank lighting.
I had thought the same thing so I have been using sea lab #28 but that hasn't seemed to help.
 
I have an AIO aquarium with a new Tunze Macroalgae Reactor stored away ready to be used. Does the Pax Bellum have a HOB option? How are you supporting the reactor?
The 18 model is the smallest and the only one that is built to be hob, it has an adjustment arm to level it out.
DEC5DEAA-6E50-469D-BAEF-D52BCBC4A332.jpeg
C5D81172-98F1-49C5-B640-D70DB76AE2EB.jpeg
 
1. Why don't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

180G tank here but undrilled. i’d really like a refugium (like 40G size) with a focus on rare macroalgae, but i’m leery of HOB overflow boxes. no siphon is completely 100% fail-safe but i hope i can come close to it ...

—make something idiot-proof and they’ll make a better idiot (points finger at self). ;Hilarious


otherwise, i may go with a large algae reactor.
 
I voted "other". I have space for a refugium and have been actively attempting to keep Chaeto. It's constantly dying on me; falling apart and sinking. Idk what else to do. Has appropriate lighting 24hrs/7days a week. I'm now attempting to rubberband the chaeto to a pickleball to help encourage it to spin and grow. Phosphates and Nitrates are present. I'll gladly take advice.

Jordn Gerardot
As mentioned, quite a few of us are for some reason unable to grow Chaeto, despit using ChaetoGrow and/or the Continuum equivilent. I have tried several times and it melts away. However, Sea Lettuce (Ulva Lactuca) is a 'beast' and grows so easily (pods love it). If there are insufficient nutrients for growth, it just seems to sit and wait, ready to pounce. The only precaution is to be aware of its lettuce-like growth so it can clog up filter inlets, therefore will need to be seperated from the actual pump by a sponge, crate, or glass barrier.
... and dont forget Caulerpa Prolifera, which I find grows much easier than Chaeto. I also like to have some in the main display.
 
Last edited:
Thanks so much! Do either of these need to be anchored or just free floating like chaeto?
 
Thanks so much! Do either of these need to be anchored or just free floating like chaeto?
Sea Lettuce just floats or sinks, it does not need to be rolling around like chaeto (although a weekly stir is good). Caulerpa Prolifera does best running along some gravel substrate.
 
works for me (chaeto, miracle mud), nutrients in line, rarely use any chemicals, keeps ph up, produces alot of pods.
Note:corals and fish healthy
 
Check these guys out. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/

I got mine going but it's a small amounts. I anchored it to a rock so It could get going. I also got my pods from them.
That's where I've been watching, but it's ALWAYS out of stock whenever I check! Super frustrating. If anyone knows when they restock let me know haha
 
I do not have a refugium. I have nothing against them, they were just not invented when I set up my tank. :cool:
 
Deep sand beds went out of style, for valid reasons... but with them went the market for pods, worms, live sand (real live sand, not the stuff that comes in a plastic bag). Inland Aquatics is gone now, GARF is still around, but has been treading water since Leroy passed. Their web site was a sorry mess in the 90's... today, it looks the same :p IPSF is still around, but their selection of 'critters' has dropped dramatically. Companies like Tampa Bay Saltwater, you used to be able to buy a scoop of sand, straight off of the sea floor, overnighted in a bag of water, crawling with life, for a reasonable cost. They're not shipping. Who knows if they ever will again.

All the debate I see about 'wet rock, live rock, dry rock'. I haven't seen any REAL wet rock, overnighted straight from the sea, with years, or decades of marine growth... in many years.

The current 'popular' methods don't include bio diversity. Folks want to start sterile, adding ONLY what they wish, to a dry rock, bare bottom system. Trying to keep out undesirables. With that being the popular model, vendors of sea floor mud and critters just aren't going to make it. Add in all the 'save the planet' folks wanting to eliminate any harvesting of natural resources... I don't see that era coming back.
I really hope IPSF doesn't go away. I started my tank sterile after watching a lot of videos, but after reading more, I decided that wasn't the best course of action. Since adding their amphipods, microbrittle stars, live mud, snails, tiny hermits, works, and bacteria, my tank's sand bed is spotless, and my refugium is packed with life. If I start another tank I will do it with KP Aquatics rock shipped in water. I think it'll be more fun and interesting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new