Refugium Refusal : Why would you NOT run a refugium?

Why wouldn't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

• No Space or equipment

Votes: 211 25.8%
  • Don't think it's worth the extra time or money

Votes: 51 6.2%
  • Tried it and it didn't work out for me

Votes: 61 7.4%
  • I do have a refugium running

Votes: 440 53.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 56 6.8%

• Total voters

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have or want one. I find it to be another changing variable to control that I can live without. I can control nutrients through food input and output through other easier means for my lifestyle.

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No room for one on my AIO 40 so I run a Pax Bellum cheato reactor. Not all the benefits of a fuge but most.
0AF51719-E60A-4B05-893C-E849908E82A9.jpeg
I have an AIO aquarium with a new Tunze Macroalgae Reactor stored away ready to be used. Does the Pax Bellum have a HOB option? How are you supporting the reactor?

gerajn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you are depleted in trace minerals of which iron is a major player. Check out ChartoGrow. I consider it beneficial for all photosynthetic critters, including coral. I combine this with clear ammonia for a source of pure nitrogen. I also would suggest a 12-14 hr refugium light cycle opposite of your display tank lighting.
I had thought the same thing so I have been using sea lab #28 but that hasn't seemed to help.

diverrad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AIO aquarium with a new Tunze Macroalgae Reactor stored away ready to be used. Does the Pax Bellum have a HOB option? How are you supporting the reactor?
The 18 model is the smallest and the only one that is built to be hob, it has an adjustment arm to level it out.
DEC5DEAA-6E50-469D-BAEF-D52BCBC4A332.jpeg
C5D81172-98F1-49C5-B640-D70DB76AE2EB.jpeg

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Why don't you have a refugium running on your reef tank?

180G tank here but undrilled. i’d really like a refugium (like 40G size) with a focus on rare macroalgae, but i’m leery of HOB overflow boxes. no siphon is completely 100% fail-safe but i hope i can come close to it ...

—make something idiot-proof and they’ll make a better idiot (points finger at self). ;Hilarious

otherwise, i may go with a large algae reactor.

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "other". I have space for a refugium and have been actively attempting to keep Chaeto. It's constantly dying on me; falling apart and sinking. Idk what else to do. Has appropriate lighting 24hrs/7days a week. I'm now attempting to rubberband the chaeto to a pickleball to help encourage it to spin and grow. Phosphates and Nitrates are present. I'll gladly take advice.

Jordn Gerardot
As mentioned, quite a few of us are for some reason unable to grow Chaeto, despit using ChaetoGrow and/or the Continuum equivilent. I have tried several times and it melts away. However, Sea Lettuce (Ulva Lactuca) is a 'beast' and grows so easily (pods love it). If there are insufficient nutrients for growth, it just seems to sit and wait, ready to pounce. The only precaution is to be aware of its lettuce-like growth so it can clog up filter inlets, therefore will need to be seperated from the actual pump by a sponge, crate, or glass barrier.
... and dont forget Caulerpa Prolifera, which I find grows much easier than Chaeto. I also like to have some in the main display.

Last edited:

yanton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! Do either of these need to be anchored or just free floating like chaeto?
Sea Lettuce just floats or sinks, it does not need to be rolling around like chaeto (although a weekly stir is good). Caulerpa Prolifera does best running along some gravel substrate.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
works for me (chaeto, miracle mud), nutrients in line, rarely use any chemicals, keeps ph up, produces alot of pods.
Note:corals and fish healthy

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and Phosphates will always head toward zero in my system. I have to dose to keep them measurable. A refugium would fight my efforts.

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check these guys out. https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/macroalgae/

I got mine going but it's a small amounts. I anchored it to a rock so It could get going. I also got my pods from them.
That's where I've been watching, but it's ALWAYS out of stock whenever I check! Super frustrating. If anyone knows when they restock let me know haha

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a refugium. I have nothing against them, they were just not invented when I set up my tank. :cool:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back