Refugium set up

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’ve had my 150 gallon aquarium for more than two years now. But I wanted a reef tank I can put inverts in. I currently couldn’t put inverts in my 150 gallon reef because my Harlequin Tusk snacks on them (except the huge electric hermit). So I bought a 60 gallon cube. I also have never set up a refugium. So I’m looking for advice on what works the best for everyone. Deep sand bed, miracle mud, etc. also what lights everyone has found that works best to grow the benificial algae. I’ve heard chaeto is a good one to grow. Anyway lmk what y’all think!!! Thanks

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto is great for nutrient removal and space for micro fauna to grow. If you have higher nutrients than I’d recommend a deep sand bed but if they’re not a problem I’d skip it.

You really need to decide if you want just chaeto/other macro algae or if you want it to be another tank. I’ve used t5 and Chinese led on my fuge. I treated it like another tank

OP
OP
Whysosalty

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a fuge on one of your tanks? What have you found is the best method for you? I mainly want the fuge to act as another filtration method. I feel a fuge is a more exciting alternative to the boring skimmer sump combo.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a fuge on one of your tanks? What have you found is the best method for you? I mainly want the fuge to act as another filtration method. I feel a fuge is a more exciting alternative to the boring skimmer sump combo.

I think most people do refugium and skimmer/sump. I don’t know the exact math but I imagine you’d need a really large fuge if you are trying to compensate for feeding a lot.

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. I have a 120 gallon with trigger system sump but. I set a extra 20 gallon tank for deep bed sand bed Connected to my sump. And the algae I’m use is dragon breath and mangroves is be runing few month form now. All I can say is runing great. By the way. My sump is about about 15 inch high form the sump. This way I can save a pump use pvc pips connects to my skimmer Chamber. The reason I add. Extra tank for this is. I don’t like any light under my tank. And also the light will make my skimmer body has some algae also. Is and not easy for maintaining the light is h380 Here is a pic
5f96fb50c66b16d783b938e8d2b17015.jpg
69e497935da8325ec1eaa71a92d42752.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump Sept 2017 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
This is my fuge sump set up for my seahorse tank. I run a skimmer and a fuge because seahorses put such a heavy bioload on their tanks. I have cheato, feather caulerpa, red grape caulerpa, dragons breath and red titan in mine and it has a 5" DSB. I just run a cheap Lowes flo light over it.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump Sept 2017 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr
This is my fuge sump set up for my seahorse tank. I run a skimmer and a fuge because seahorses put such a heavy bioload on their tanks. I have cheato, feather caulerpa, red grape caulerpa, dragons breath and red titan in mine and it has a 5" DSB. I just run a cheap Lowes flo light over it.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto with a high power grow light and a fairly high turnover is the simplest of refugium setups but also one of the most effective. It isn't exactly exciting though. If you want to spice it up a bit, go with Miracle Mud and Caulerpa. Creates a nice foresty look with the right strains.

Esquire805

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’ve had my 150 gallon aquarium for more than two years now. But I wanted a reef tank I can put inverts in. I currently couldn’t put inverts in my 150 gallon reef because my Harlequin Tusk snacks on them (except the huge electric hermit). So I bought a 60 gallon cube. I also have never set up a refugium. So I’m looking for advice on what works the best for everyone. Deep sand bed, miracle mud, etc. also what lights everyone has found that works best to grow the benificial algae. I’ve heard chaeto is a good one to grow. Anyway lmk what y’all think!!! Thanks
dont do mud to messy caulerpa is great i have a mixed refugium with everything in there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back