Refugium

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been posted along some similar threads, but does anyone have good tips on starting a fuge? I have a first or 2nd generation Eshoppes sump and was going to use the middle chamber for the fuge (skimmer in first).

It looks like putting some sort of substrate (miracle mud or sand) doesn't add a whole whole lot to the tool box as far as what I already have in the DT. But does anyone have super strong opinions on this?

What is the cheapest DIY light I could get at home depot or somewhere local that would support macro growth?

I was thinking of just throwing some Chaeto in the fuge and having that as the basis then maybe add in some mangroves. TIA!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drop in some chato.
Feit makes an led grow light now (the pink kind ).

Fwiw , much of the sand , miracle mud etc are just a place for additional denitification. Like a marine pure block or live rock.
Fiji mud is a bacterial and microfaunal approach and does little for nitrification.

Mangrove are a trick. They need the leaves lit , and also wiped down as they excrete salt. They also do little for nutints. They area slow growing plant and generally need much more light than chato and other common Refugium macroalgaes.
They are also a rooting plant.

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I do have a couple pieces of dry rock that has been in my system since October with a small amount of rubble as well as marine pure biomedia pieces. I'll pick up some Chaeto and check out that light.

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I do have a couple pieces of dry rock that has been in my system since October with a small amount of rubble as well as marine pure biomedia pieces. I'll pick up some Chaeto and check out that light.
How many watt light bulb would you think would be strong enough?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drop in some chato.
Feit makes an led grow light now (the pink kind ).

Fwiw , much of the sand , miracle mud etc are just a place for additional denitification. Like a marine pure block or live rock.
Fiji mud is a bacterial and microfaunal approach and does little for nitrification.

Mangrove are a trick. They need the leaves lit , and also wiped down as they excrete salt. They also do little for nutints. They area slow growing plant and generally need much more light than chato and other common Refugium macroalgaes.
They are also a rooting plant.

I have 3 mangroves and I love how the roots make their way through the live rock

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I feel like some terrestrial vegetation is a cool idea... I guess the weekly care can be a little much but I wouldn't mind keeping the salt wiped off haha.
In the morning when I wake up I spray then with some RODI water then when I get home from work at around 11 I do the same.

Haven't had any issues yet... Only real issue I had was my kitten biting a leaf off lol

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the morning when I wake up I spray then with some RODI water then when I get home from work at around 11 I do the same.

Haven't had any issues yet... Only real issue I had was my kitten biting a leaf off lol

Haha pesky kittens. Always curious about all of the reefing things: the fish, the water, the MANGROVES! haha

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd gen Eshoppes R-200; setup with a refugium pack. Light comes from a single Kessil H80 (Grow and 100% intensity) supporting a 75g display.

38683672604_ba0b66735e_b.jpg

Has worked excellent for me.

25521774298_17375c60fc_b.jpg

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha pesky kittens. Always curious about all of the reefing things: the fish, the water, the MANGROVES! haha
She ignored the mangoves for about a week now all she wants a taste of is the mangroves

Edit: back on topic I'm planning also to make refegium in my Nuvo AIO, probably use a media basket to fit it in one of the Chambers in the back. Just hard to justify paying $50 for a media basket

OP
OP
OrthoVet05

OrthoVet05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I set up last week. Seems to work pretty well, although its sort of hard to tell if the Chaeto is growing since it is in a ball. I bought this light from Home Depot for about 12 dollars and the fixture was about $10. I have been running the lights while my DT lights are actinic as to hopefully control the pH in my tank. The chaeto I got was from LFS and had a few pods in it and some asterinas.

04 26 18 1.jpeg
LED grow light fuge.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back