Regal Tangs Caudel fin

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my regal since it was about 1" in length. It must be about 12 months since I got it. I had some mean damsels when I first got the tang and they nipped at its tail fin at least I think it was them. I instantly got rid of the damsels and my tang has been very chill and only has a couple of very chill wrasse as company all get along well.
I'd say it's been around a year and my tangs now 3-4" really started putting on weight and growing a lot faster now but the tail fin is still like a barb at the bottom. And not like a triangle or a fan shape like they normally are.
I have noticed almost a slight deformity towards the body end of the fin as well.
Now for its size the tank was a good enough size I felt being a 3 x 2 x 2 but I knew eventually I'd need to upgrade which I now have a 4.5' x 2 x 2 custom tank ready to move everything into.
My concerns is have I left it too long and the poor fish has some sort of growth stunt and also will the tail ever go back to normal.
Also for some reason it will never eat nori I've tried so many times but goes mad for frozen food. It will eat flakes and algae pellets and even graze on the rockwork but never touch nori.
Maybe the tangs diet is not good enough for healing? I feed 5 different types of frozen food, probiotic marine dry food and ocean nutrition pellets.
The fish seems strong and healthy but this does concern me a little. I'm sure once I get the new tank ready it will appreciate the extra space.

20220504_145054.jpg 20220504_145054.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What other occupants in tank that could be causing aggression?
What foods are you feeding?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my regal since it was about 1" in length. It must be about 12 months since I got it. I had some mean damsels when I first got the tang and they nipped at its tail fin at least I think it was them. I instantly got rid of the damsels and my tang has been very chill and only has a couple of very chill wrasse as company all get along well.
I'd say it's been around a year and my tangs now 3-4" really started putting on weight and growing a lot faster now but the tail fin is still like a barb at the bottom. And not like a triangle or a fan shape like they normally are.
I have noticed almost a slight deformity towards the body end of the fin as well.
Now for its size the tank was a good enough size I felt being a 3 x 2 x 2 but I knew eventually I'd need to upgrade which I now have a 4.5' x 2 x 2 custom tank ready to move everything into.
My concerns is have I left it too long and the poor fish has some sort of growth stunt and also will the tail ever go back to normal.
Also for some reason it will never eat nori I've tried so many times but goes mad for frozen food. It will eat flakes and algae pellets and even graze on the rockwork but never touch nori.
Maybe the tangs diet is not good enough for healing? I feed 5 different types of frozen food, probiotic marine dry food and ocean nutrition pellets.
The fish seems strong and healthy but this does concern me a little. I'm sure once I get the new tank ready it will appreciate the extra space.

20220504_145054.jpg 20220504_145054.jpg
it may be permanent damage but i'd be surprised if it was as i'm pretty sure caudal fins can regrow as long as they've not been bitten too deep

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growth of the caudal fin originates in the bones of the hypural plate. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the notch extends to that plate. If the plate itself is damage, the find may never regrow normally. Of course, other than being unsightly, it won't hurt the fish.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back