Remarkably frustrating

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to post this now, while I'm still irritated. I am getting really frustrated with how consistently difficult it is to do basic updates and how persistent the connection issues are with this system.

The wifi connection to my profilux is irregular and slow. Prompted by another thread I decided to update my wifi firmware. This arcane process made more difficult by the fact that the instructional videos (required as there is nothing actually intuitive about the process) are all slightly wrong. I say all, because there are, absurdly, three different methods with three different videos.

The "warning old system" one I ignored.

The "standard" web based one stalled as soon as I entered the ip address for my device and it prompted for a username and password. The video has no such step and the web interface did not accept any of the various usernames and passwords in GCC.

The "alternate method" showed the Wifi update tool as part of the GCC download. That is apparently out of date info but I did end up downloading the Wifi update tool and could follow along from there.

Everything seemed to work and the firmware is showing as updated in GCC.

But now I can't connect to it via wifi, app, myghl etc....

Just not at all what I need to be dealing with for what should frankly be an automatic process.

I'm done with it for the night and will presumably taking a couple of hours out of my weekend to untangle this mess.

EDIT 30 mins Later
And just like that *poof*, it all works fine. Back once again to the solid stable system that it should be, until the next time I have to change or update any of the settings!

EDIT 30 mins after that
Never mind. That lasted a few minutes. Been offline again since.

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The web server access should be what ever you have in this box on the Communications tab. The default password is Starfish. I changed mine, hence the blank.

1605913155659.png

I do agree with the frustration and out of date videos on the web. I haven't had an issue since doing the updates through the web server.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The web server access should be what ever you have in this box on the Communications tab. The default password is Starfish. I changed mine, hence the blank.

1605913155659.png

I do agree with the frustration and out of date videos on the web. I haven't had an issue since doing the updates through the web server.
It should indeed. And in my case it is still Starfish.
But that wasn’t recognized.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed response which part of the emergency tool did you use? One of the options will blank out all the settings including the smtp settings for notifications?

What. Reusing of WiFi did you upgrade from?

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed response which part of the emergency tool did you use? One of the options will blank out all the settings including the smtp settings for notifications?

What. Reusing of WiFi did you upgrade from?
Thanks for flagging that!
I went and checked and indeed the smtp info is all gone.

That's a critical function that they should mention is affected (or mention more clearly if it is documented somewhere).

I used the regular "start" option with the tool. Not the filesystem or blank chip ones.

It was up and down yesterday evening. It is up again this morning, so fingers crossed. As usual, I am less irritated now that I'm out of the mess itself. But I stand by the view that this kind of thing should be much much smoother (to the point of being almost automatic). It is an issue that needs to be addressed. And as others have said I would like the option to go with a LAN connection, even if through an expansion card. Though I get that could introduce more complications which would be counterproductive, so if the wifi issues could be solved that would be better.

And I'll say again that the features and stability of the system when I am not having to do any updates still make it all worth it.

Tony

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is still up and down this morning. It is worth noting that I did the firmware update because the connection was not great before. Meaning I occasionally could not connect, and it was always slow.

It is odd because when I’m having issues the network software including a network analysis thing, all show the profilux is connected. But I can’t connect to it it with the app or myghl.

There could be various causes from my network of course (google nest mesh). But I have 34 devices online right now and the Profilux is the only one with problems, so....

Not sure what to do about it in the long run.

Tony

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tristan - Are you using a static IP, and are you using DNS that not your router?

Your 802.11 channel what is it set to for your P4?

Are you running dual ban 2.4 and 5ghz? If you are, is it the same password for both?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally always use 8.8.8.8 as DNS router and for the moment a combined (automatic 2,4 /5 Hz) network node. I also reserve the same ip address in the routers DHCP table and make that address as a static address in the P4. Very few problem with the new firmware. I have no mesh network.

Sincerely Lasse

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh networks can cause difficulties as devices silently move from one hotspot to another. Obviously it's meant to be seamless, and often is, but I have noticed this from time to time (I have a UniFi mesh network). I would go for the suggestions made by @Ditto and @Lasse first, then revisit the mesh point another time.

As for updating the Wi-Fi firmware itself, I have never had any issues. I know a lot of people prefer to use the PC Control Centre software but I always use a browser and it's always been successful.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally always use 8.8.8.8 as DNS router and for the moment a combined (automatic 2,4 /5 Hz) network node. I also reserve the same ip address in the routers DHCP table and make that address as a static address in the P4. Very few problem with the new firmware. I have no mesh network.

Sincerely Lasse
@Tristan - Are you using a static IP, and are you using DNS that not your router?

Your 802.11 channel what is it set to for your P4?

Are you running dual ban 2.4 and 5ghz? If you are, is it the same password for both?

Yep, I’m using 8888 and a static IP from both the P4 and the router side.

The 802.11 is set to b/g/n on the P4.

The Google Mesh is both 2.4 and 5ghz with the same name/password.

I recognize that mesh issues can sometimes cause issues. But frankly I have 33 other devices running on the network and the P4 is the only one with connectivity issues.

I will say that it was more stable for a few months there. But after the last system firmware update it seems like it reverted to an older wifi module firmware and things got iffy again. Since yesterday’s upgrade though it is much, much worse. I can connect for a few minutes and then I get a “lost connection” pop up.

Tony

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh networks can cause difficulties as devices silently move from one hotspot to another. Obviously it's meant to be seamless, and often is, but I have noticed this from time to time (I have a UniFi mesh network). I would go for the suggestions made by @Ditto and @Lasse first, then revisit the mesh point another time.

As for updating the Wi-Fi firmware itself, I have never had any issues. I know a lot of people prefer to use the PC Control Centre software but I always use a browser and it's always been successful.

I would honestly be willing to set up a parallel network just for the Profilux if it meant a consistently stable connection at this point. I’m sure that’s doable somehow. I would have to switch my phone over every time I wanted to connect but it would be better than this and would mean a reliable connection out for alerts and myghl.

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that though because obviously this works for others.

Tony

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to go downgrade - i have both 7084 and 7081

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks,

As the weekend is coming to an end I'll open an actual ticket for this. Connection still 50% up at best. I'll see what they say but if it doesn't help I will take you up on that and try the 7084.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting to contact GHL support on Monday, here’s something interesting.

Prompted by a question from @Ditto I was looking at how to make sure Google Mesh is using 2.4ghz for the P4. Turns out that’s not a thing and the device decides what to connect to:

But that post makes an interesting comment at the end “Some smart home devices only use the 2.4 GHz band and will not be available for setup if your phone is on the 5 GHz band. Refer to your device’s user manual if you would like to specify the band.”

That implying that if my phone is on the 5ghz band I can’t connect directly to devices on the 2.4ghz band. Which seems like it would be a much bigger problem than it seems to be, as it only looks to be an issue for setup.

Odd that would be more of an issue now than before the firmware update. But anyway that is an area for me to explore. I’ll take a look at how to force my phone onto the 2.4ghz band.

Tony

MattJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting to contact GHL support on Monday, here’s something interesting.

Prompted by a question from @Ditto I was looking at how to make sure Google Mesh is using 2.4ghz for the P4. Turns out that’s not a thing and the device decides what to connect to:

But that post makes an interesting comment at the end “Some smart home devices only use the 2.4 GHz band and will not be available for setup if your phone is on the 5 GHz band. Refer to your device’s user manual if you would like to specify the band.”

That implying that if my phone is on the 5ghz band I can’t connect directly to devices on the 2.4ghz band. Which seems like it would be a much bigger problem than it seems to be, as it only looks to be an issue for setup.

Odd that would be more of an issue now than before the firmware update. But anyway that is an area for me to explore. I’ll take a look at how to force my phone onto the 2.4ghz band.

Tony
@Tristren, Solved yet? Ignore my question on the other post!!!
I have swimming pool automation deveices and they do not work well with Google Wifi (it's the 2.4 and 5.0ghz)
The solution to this was, I have a 'normal' netgear router from my ISP as welll as the google wifi 'base' router and about 7 pucks. There is still a 2.4 and 5.0 ghz network that runs strainght from the netgear router. I connect to that at 2.4 and the are no issues. Problem is, that has to be close enough to your P4.

Back