Reminder on palytoxin

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The following shows how dangerous some coral can be.

Thankfully the family are all ok and no lasting harm done. Thats the important part.

There are questions around the report though which casts doubt on whether the family were ready for marine fish keeping. Is it the responsibility of the LFS or aquarist?

Stay safe.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see stories like this and the total ignorance astounds me:
She criticised the lack of information she received when she bought the coral - admitting she was not told, and did not know, it was a living organism.
I don't want to criticize someone who nearly died, but honestly, that's like buying a car and claiming you didn't know you had to put gas in it.

OP
OP
Paullawr

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly did she do when "cleaning" the tank to cause this to happen?
Something about scrubbing the palythoa off an ornamental bridbe. Clearly not informed enough to manage the wellbeing of marine animals. She even goes on to say she wasnt aware they were living creatures.

The fact the fish died whilst were on holiday is another clue they didnt know how to care for the tank.

Theres finger pointing by the ill family but responsibility is also theirs.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is pretty sad how nonchalant the article is about the fish dying while on vacation, as if it was no big deal they left for holiday without someone to feed or care for them while they were gone, or at least hooking up a fish feeder. It never ceases to amaze me the negligence some people have for pets.

Jared's Little Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Red macro algae in the tank? Wow that tank looks depressing.
tank.jpg

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"She criticised the lack of information she received when she bought the coral - admitting she was not told, and did not know, it was a living organism. The family are now back at home but Mrs Stevenson is still unable to eat due to an inflamed stomach."

A new diet plan for those of us overweight? Maybe her husband will be thanking the LFS?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see stories like this and the total ignorance astounds me:
She criticised the lack of information she received when she bought the coral - admitting she was not told, and did not know, it was a living organism.
I don't want to criticize someone who nearly died, but honestly, that's like buying a car and claiming you didn't know you had to put gas in it.

Man... I am totally with you. She didn't know it was a "living organism"?????? I'm sorry... that's just stupid.

bigmike69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarists problem. She needs to be held accountable for her actions instead of blaming lack of info. She shoulda researched first.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 43 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 34 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back